What's new

What have you “settled on”?

Most of the time I use:
- preshave: Proraso green or Myrsol Emulsion
- razor: Gillette Red Tip
- blade: Gillette Platinum
- brush: Simpson’s Wee Scot custom
- splash: Myrsol or Trumper’s

I still have too much soap, but I am on a 3017 journey and intend to narrow things down considerably

Occasionally I use a straight razor or other DE.

I don’t wish to try anything new. All I have is more than enough and won’t beat the shaves I get from the items above

I am pretty settled now through the week!

Pre-shave: Unscented Glycerine Soap
Razor: Gillette Guard
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Soap. Løthur Nude
Post-shave: Salicylic acid serum followed by Bulldog Sensitive Moisturiser

At weekends I will usually use either my Twig or my Schick Type J in rotation, but all else remains the same.

lasta

Blade Biter
Most of the time I use:
- preshave: Proraso green or Myrsol Emulsion
- razor: Gillette Red Tip
- blade: Gillette Platinum
- brush: Simpson’s Wee Scot custom
- splash: Myrsol or Trumper’s

I still have too much soap, but I am on a 3017 journey and intend to narrow things down considerably

Occasionally I use a straight razor or other DE.

I don’t wish to try anything new. All I have is more than enough and won’t beat the shaves I get from the items above
Every time I see Red Tip, my eyes sparkle!

There is not a single negative comment about that razor.

Mine arrives in 2 weeks.

I always assumed I love variety but in actual fact, I'm purely results driven.
I want the best shave (BBS with minimal post-shave-shadow) and least irritation.

After 14 years, ~80 razors, ~120 brushes, ~200 soaps, ~50 blades, ~15 aftershave balms...I've basically settled on the following:

RAZOR: Blackbird (SS and brass)
BLADE: BIC CP & Wizamet
BRUSH: Muhle & EJ silvertip fibre XL
AFTERSHAVE: Anherb aftershave conditioner
SOAP: I have a small rotation consisting of MWF, Speick stick, 4 x DR Harris, La toja, Lea classic puck, Haslinger coconut.

For the most part I like using different things and I have lots of things that I enjoy using. But there seem to be a few things I have settled on and use at least very frequently, over time.

I use Kai DE blades, no other blades satisfy me as much.

I have a pre-shave soap that I always use to remove the oil from my beard and soften the hair before I lather. I think that’s quite important for my shaves. It is either the Fitjar beard softener soap (which is a cool black oblong), or the Ach Brito glycerin soap (the original smells really great to me).

I always splash my face with witch hazel after rinsing. Not sure there’s any real reason to do this but I just like the gentle, skin temperature, wetter-than-water feel of it and it seems to me that a shave isn’t finished until you have splashed some sort of liquid on your face. I use The Goodfella’s Smile facial tonic with witch hazel and cucumber, and it is made by Italian witches, but I will not fight anybody over what witch hazel is best - I’ll let the witches sort that out among themselves.

I always have three razors standing by the sink. One is a Rocnel Sailor, one is a Karve Overlander, and the other is not fixed, just whatever else I feel I want to use (various DEs, SEs, modern straights, or traditional straights). So the Sailor and the Overlander are settled choices simply because there are no other razors that give me a better shavng result or an easier shave, and they are entirely consistent and comfortable for me. The Sailor is more efficient, the Overlander more gentle, but both are outstanding every time I use them.

Soaps and aftershaves are choices of the moment, and I like variety in brushes too, even though any one brush would be fine. I don’t think I will ever want to settle on just one or two of these things.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Razor: Above the Tie Windsor with a CM plate but considering an S1, too.
Brushes: Kent BKB4 and BK4. Thankfully they are pretty new. They are not made anymore.
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere but may try Original someday (or not)
Aftershave: Most days it is 4711 cologne and will continue to be. Special treats I will keep enjoying as long as I can find them are Acqua di Selva and Eau Sauvage.

Great question! For me it really does depend on the category.

Razor
Daily driver: Wolfman WR1
Travel: Lord L6

Blade
Personna lab (or Med Prep)
Personna red
GSB
Nacet
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)
Astra SP

Brush:
Badgers with a ’rotation’ of Simpsons, Shavemac, Rudy Vey and one Graydog

Soap:
Haslinger (have all eight in the old ’tallow’)
MWF
Fine (old ‘tallow)
Vito’s
Cella

AS
OS
Pinaud
Clubman
Fine
Sterling
Floid
La Toja

Astra SP blades for DE razors, Yaqi Evil Zebra 26 brush, collapsible silicone pet food (aka travelling shaving) bowl for lathering, Bull Dog moisturiser, a splash of warm water for prep, three pass shaves, shaving cream (Proraso red or TOBS Sandlewood) rather than soap. I'm still playing with different DE and AC razors but I can't see my Ikon B1 Standard leaving my rotation any time soon.

Razor - i grab either the 34C or my black handle Gillette. Other DE and SE do get a spin but these two carry the load.

Soap - Stirling Electric Sheep. I have others but performance and post shave feel for me is OUTSTANDING.

Blade - Shark. Works in every razor, buy them in 100 packs.

Aftershave - Captains Choice Unscented is my favorite. Lucky Tiger and Stirling unscented are also known to get love and are in the mix.

These items maybe are more then one but this set up works for me. Better then average daily shaves. If I want BBS I got for a 3rd pass.

Can’t really say I have settled on a particular combination as I like the variety side of things.

Having said that I have settled on a reference combination which is the Merkur 39c Sledgehammer with the Nacet blade and the GFT Eucris cream.

This will make it easier for me to make comparisons in future reviews.

Jason.

Bic Chrome Platinum 🇬🇷 blades. Very sharp but comfortable and predictable. For me all others are disappointing and just a diversion.
Synthetic brushes, so many great choices for everyday rotation. Each with it's own personality.
Vintage Gillettes, Proud to use them and incredibly pleased with the shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm set for brushes and soaps/creams... but I haven't restricted their uses... but the SV 2.0 brushes are still getting the most use....

Razors... I have entered the DE wasteland...... but the scenery is pretty spectacular. When we left for Bali on August 23rd... I owned 3 Gillette Vintage razors but they were getting replated.... I now have... let me count.... 6 more either here or on the way... and an addition AC single edge razor on order. Two of them have additional base plates so additional variety there.

Everyday Razor - GC .84P or .68OC
Travel: SLOC
Blades - Perma-Sharps (2nd choices = Nacet & Astra SS)
Everyday Brushes: RR Hive 24 Mokasoft HD or Simpson Commodore x2 BB
Soaps: *tougher to limit choices here* -- current "top 3" = B&M TFMeasureOAMan, WK Pasha's, Speick
Post shave (winter only): Nivea Sensitive balm

Top Bottom