What's new

What fragrance grew on you?

Currently for me it’s silver mountain water. I got a sample and at first I really didn’t care for it. Now I’m really really enjoying it. Even to the point I’m considering an overpriced bottle of it. I don’t know what happened. What fragrance grew on you after some wear?

I'm starting to build the collection and just like shave soaps, my thing is variety so I would rather get good performance from a $12 EdT, then spending $200 powerhouse because I can get 10 different frags for the same price. In other words I like variety.

Nothing against others who have the exact opposite thought, that's what this place is all about to me ... :biggrin1:

Ok, back on topic.

The latest frag that really grew on me is Cuba Gold (Marshall's -$7.98). At first I thought the scent was VERY feminine. Even had my girls smell it and they said the same thing. However after it sat on the test strip over night, I smelled it again and it was really nice.

I then sprayed on skin and it was even better. Still a little feminie but leaning towards a masciline powder smell. I really dig it now but I was this close > < to packing it away or offering it up to my girls.

Maison Francis Kurkdjian BR540. More feminine but it is a beautiful fragrance IMO for anybody.

Tom Ford Ombre Leather. Took me a while to come around to this now I love it.
Funny I gave my BR540 sample to my wife. Maybe I should have rolled with it.

Funny I gave my BR540 sample to my wife. Maybe I should have rolled with it.
MFK still has the best deal for samples if you want to try it again or any of their other fragrances. €14 shipped for 4 x 2ml and you get a €14 coupon for your next full bottle purchase. I love their stuff.

Lots and lots of them. Creed Virgin Island Water, for one. I would say, Jicky. Actually, C&S O&C, one of my very favorite scents. At first I just did not like the mint. I am not sure anyone really likes Knize Ten at first. I am not even sure I loved any vetivers at first.

To expand on this a bit, when I was first getting into fragrances, I had strong favorites as to types. When I would try something new of a slightly different type than I was used to, I probably would not like it so much. But if the scent had a good reputation or I otherwise had good reason to think it was a quality scent, I usually stuck with it and came to really like it. Such things broadened my tastes, which I think is a good thing. I think the same is true of foods and drink. I mean who liked Scotch the first time they had it.

One exception that has an exception is that I am still not much drawn to gourmand frags. Except I do love Bruno Fazzolari's scent that smells like green apple to me. I think it is Monserrat, which he describes as grapefruit, apricot, and carrot seed, and plaster and jasmine.

I am not sure anyone loves animalic scent notes at first, or dirty notes such as cigarette ashes. I sure do now in the right format.

Last edited:
I don't have a single particular fragrance that grew on me as much as a specific accord that's grown on me, that being the sweet accord. Think that bubble gum accord in Invictus, the sweet spice in Paco Rabanne One Million, the vanilla in Versace Eros and Le Male, the sweet amber in Armani Code Profumo. The first time I smelled a really sweet scent, I didn't like it. Nor the second time. But over time, I've come to enjoy, even own, a number of them.

Terre D'Hermes
My Dad used this for years as something he'd wear into the office and I thought it smelled pretty good on him as someone more mature. I'd sometimes take a wiff of the bottle and I didn't think it was bad but I didn't really like it. It definitely wasn't as nice smelling as I thought it might have been say I got a wiff as he passed me or whatever. But now I sort of like it a fair amount but I still don't really know if it's decent for a late twenty to early thirty year old in a more casual to semi formal setting?

Polo. For me the key was to apply lightly.

ralph lauren polo.jpg

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
For me it was Tabac I'd read the mixed reviews of it on here so I went the whole hog and bought a puck of soap and matching aftershave. When I first smelt I thought I'd made a big mistake to me it smelt like women's perfume. Now after around a year I can wear it and it smells great I love the sent especially on a warm day. I've also learnt a little goes a long way.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Floris Elite. A blind buy that I regretted and put aside for over 3 years. Then I bought a lot that had several Floris aftershaves including Elite. When I tried the aftershave I really liked it and gave the EDT another shot. I now enjoy it from time to time.

Davidoff Cool Water. It was too bright and astringent for me. I couldn’t get past the opening. The dry down was nice, but it took several applications to get past the opening.

Never could get past Bijan for men. Similar issues.

Top Bottom