What's new

What edge do you shave with now days?

What type of edge do you shave with?

• Water of Ayr, Tam O'Shanter, and the Scotch hone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Out of curiosity, looking to see what most people are shaving with these days. Could also he helpful to new guys or someone looking for a new type of edge. If I didn't list your edge feel free to add it below. I know a lot of people here use multiple edges, but vote for the edge you use most.

Cheers

I'm still learning, so I stick with one for a while (couple of months), and then try and take what I learned and see how it works on another stone. I rotate between:

• Trans Ark
  • JNat
  • Black Shadow
I have a coticule, but I've not managed to get a decent edge off it, so I don't really bother anymore. :p

Thanks for the votes. Wanting people to vote for their most used edge instead of favorite to give better expectations for new guys. Example being someone loves a coticule edge but their coticule sucks so they use an ark or synthetic. Or the other way around and someone loves a hyper sharp edge however they need a more face friendly edge for daily shaving. So taking in all the factors, finding the most used edge (maybe it's because of convenience, feel, or reliability, blah blah).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Diamond pasted balsa edges would be my most used. My initial SR shaving technique was developed on diamond pasted balsa edges three to four years ago and I have preferred them ever since.

All my razors either have a Coticule or Arkansas (Translucent or Black) finish. Maybe I'm alone here but while I love my Arkansas edges. If I shave with one 2-3 shaves in a row, I end up missing the Coti edge feel. The Ark finish bumps the Coti's sharpness while staying smooth, it's great. But there's just something about that Coti edge feel on the face.

I think the majority of my rotation is wearing a translucent ark edge. But Tam O'Shanter is not far behind. (No, I'm not going to tally it up to be sure). The odds and ends are finished on a couple different coticules and a Water of Ayr. Although, as I'm getting more comfortable with the WoA I can see it getting more action. I have one Jnat edge from Alfredo and one razor that I finished on diamond paste the other day.

Lately mostly Bru old coticules or their blue sides. I got a blue la lune in so I imagine the French razor I finished on my Burton coticule this weekend will get a tune up on it. Lots of flattening on it though. There is a 2mm puddle in the center going the length of the stone. Someone used a lot of pressure over a long time because this stone is not soft by any measure. My vintage coticules slurry under a les lat (hybrid side) slurry stone faster than a 1k(not worn out) diamond plate pulled on this one. That says something because some of those coticule aren't very easy to pull slurry from.i may busy out the SiC powder for it. The bottom isn't really finished but it's off a lot less than the side, I may just smooth it out. I finished a razor on a Schwedenstein yesterday but I haven't tried it yet, hht is audible but perfect and smooth. I don't use arks much on razors lately because I've got pills of other stuff I need to learn better. Like a WOA, I want very impressed by it as a razor or knife stone. My yellow lake needs attention, it's finished some knives, but I've never shaved off it(needs some kerosene removal). I've got a couple turkey stones I think might be able to finish a razor that I need to put some steel to. Short answer is very old coticules. Always very old coticules. I want to keep playing with this Schwedenstein and I think laying some light green thuringian slurry on top will do something special once I get the surface broke in well. I really like that stone so far, I'd like to get a green one in 5" x 2" (I have a weird fixation on green stones).

Predominantly a JNAT fan, but I have lots of stones and Like to mix it up. Love a great Escher edge and these are easy to use. I need to try somone elses coticule edges, not sure my yellow Coti's are world class stones. My Les Lat is another story, that stone is fantastic. I have recently been playing with a larger Charnley lately and really loving the hone feeling and finishing off of this stone. It is like an YG Escher and Hard Ark had a love child. It is smooth and velvety like an Escher and finishes similar to an ark, which I like because I also like an ark edge, just don't love the glassy honing feel.

I've heard some nice things about the Schwedenstein stones but know they can be hard to find. A little surprised to see coticules ahead as I thought arks and jnats would be leading (although it is just a small amount of votes).
I have two stones that I strongly suspect are Schwedenstein stones…one dark green and one light green…they are giving up tremendously sharp and face friendly edges…
97CA55CA-2F75-4627-AB28-7CF63DD6936C.jpeg
F8CC0CC1-40E0-476F-B273-A0AF0797FFF6.jpeg
1D8DF85E-63C1-4FBE-B01A-DEFB783C44C9.jpeg
6B17BB9D-70AB-4215-B749-E1EFC4DCF2FB.jpeg

As far as what I am using to finish mostly natural hones…all the usual suspects.

I have two stones that I strongly suspect are Schwedenstein stones…one dark green and one light green…they are giving up tremendously sharp and face friendly edges…
View attachment 1664689View attachment 1664690View attachment 1664695View attachment 1664696

As far as what I am using to finish mostly natural hones…all the usual suspects.
I want a green one, but my black one does exactly as you describe. Hht like a hard ark, feel of a thuri. I've only shaved off mine once e but I like it better than my thuringians(what I remember) but I'll have to try then again. I want to put l light green thuri slurry on mine next time.

I’ve got 3 options to choose from: 12k synth, lapping film, and pasted balsa. I really like the synth so I’m sticking with that for now.

I tried a pasted balsa edge again not too long ago and found it too harsh. I think my next stone will be a black or trans ark. Looking forward to that one 😊

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I use synthetics, 1,3,5,8,12 Naniwa Super/ Specialty Stones. Cut my teeth on these, still learning. I make due with what I have, never had anything to compare to and am satisfied with results. Super curious about a natural finisher, it’s just a matter of time likely. Black Ark or a slate seem interesting, available. Time will tell.

Surprised to see that no one else voted Thuringian, yet there are quite a few votes for coticule. Can I ask those who prefer a coticule over a Thuringian what they think the coticule offers that a Thuringian doesn’t (or at least not as well as)?

I’ve actually been mostly using coticule to Thuringian, with more laps on the coticule but finishing on the Thuringian with very light slurry.

I’ve been meaning to try following up that process by taking it to the funky hybrid side (just water) of the Les Lat coticule after having it suggested to me.

Surprised to see that no one else voted Thuringian, yet there are quite a few votes for coticule. Can I ask those who prefer a coticule over a Thuringian what they think the coticule offers that a Thuringian doesn’t (or at least not as well as)?

I’ve actually been mostly using coticule to Thuringian, with more laps on the coticule but finishing on the Thuringian with very light slurry.

I’ve been meaning to try following up that process by taking it to the funky hybrid side (just water) of the Les Lat coticule after having it suggested to me.
The coticule I have has been more fine than the thuri edges I have gotten. I have only tried out 2 thuris myself, but also a thuri from another member (2 were labeled). I think the thuringian is more fine than the average coticule though. I think one of the reasons the thuringian is not more common is the price they can go for.

Top Bottom