What's new

What does “Like” mean to you?

I was against the "like" button from the start and I still am. I don't like anything about it. I don't like it when someone "likes" my post because then I get a notice on my computer that someone mentioned me or something and it's all really just a click to his mouse or such.
If you can't bother to say even just a few words then why bother to even be here on the forum. A forum is a place where people exchange ideas, not just check marks.
I like the "like button" in that it is an unobtrusive way to show someone that you appreciated their post. Perhaps they responded to your earlier post and you want to acknowledge them. A way to say thanks for keeping the conversation going, posting photos, etc. A lightweight way to acknowledge the poster without posting in the thread. IMO it is most often better than a +1/thanks response as it does not alert all the other thread subscribers. This does not mean it should be a substitute for an actual response.

I also like the like button when I've been away for a while. I can let someone know I appreciated their post without bringing the entire thread back a week or more.

I also cannot think of a time where I had something worth saying in a thread but thought, "naaahhhh, this 'like' sums it up well enough." I typically use it when I either wouldn't interact with the thread anyway or already plan to do so.

I also like the like button when I've been away for a while. I can let someone know I appreciated their post without bringing the entire thread back a week or more.

This is one of those best practices I should take up. The Like as a ‘bumpless’ appreciative response.

This is one of those best practices I should take up. The Like as a ‘bumpless’ appreciative response.

There is nothing wrong with causing a "bump" with a brief statement. That's what this forum is all about, having a back and forth with different people.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
For SOTD: I saw your post and I appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time, and for giving me a sense of knowing you.

Most other instances: I endorse, amplify, or agree with what you posted. Or--🤣--I got a good laugh!

Not trying to hijack the thread - things as bad (or worse) than the “valley girl LIKE”...

1. Prefacing a sentence with “so”. Ex. - “So, the other day I was thinking...” This one drives me nuts. My theory is for these people the word “so” is needed for the brain to engage.

2. Layering antiquated animated GIFs in a post. They’re not really that cute anymore. An actual discourse would be much more appropriate. Maybe I’m the only one this bugs. If so, I’ll just hush up (insert cheesy animated GIF here).

So, like if I see a post that I like agree with or like strikes like a chord with me then like I click on the Like button:thumbup:. So, like you know what I like mean?:a26::a21::jump::clap:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with causing a "bump" with a brief statement. That's what this forum is all about, having a back and forth with different people.

True enough!

And sometimes the “like” is what works best, like two bikers passing on the road giving each other the low key “biker wave”.
Not trying to hijack the thread - things as bad (or worse) than the “valley girl LIKE”...

like, toootally.

Top Bottom