What's new

What does it mean to be a leader?

Some time ago on this forum the question was posed, “What does it mean to be a gentleman?” A lively and thoughtful discussion ensued.

And now I pose the question: “What does it mean to be a leader?” Someone who is a servant leader? A good listener, but decisive? Someone who has the right blend of assertive and consulting? Someone who is honest and moral? Someone with both technical and people skills? Encouraging and concerned with promoting the best interests of their employees? Sometimes this question can be best answered using an example from our personal lives or from the lives of people who live in the public eye. Have you encountered someone who you feel was a true leader?

Note: This is not intended to be a political discussion, but rather a discussion about the qualities that true leaders exhibit. Focus on the positive.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Some people are leaders, some are followers. A good leader is the one who has more followers than a bad leader.

As to which leader the followers will choose, that often depends more on the nature of the follower, than that of the leader.

YMMV

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always led by example at work, as a nurse, or tried to. Most nurses, that have a calling to be healers, aren't the types by personality to be "rush the pill box" types. I was way too laid back personality wise to yell at employees under me. I did once, kinda. The nurse in question shaped up. I've had to ship one out, been shipped out myself. Only had one boss that I could see really enjoying firing me. Maybe the other ones were better actors!

But I am definitely not a John Wayne type of leader. If you think you'd have liked working for Hawkeye Pierce, then you'd have loved working for me.

Sorry for the ramble! And FWIW, I was always fired for putting patients ahead of profits. Eventually, after being called into the bosses office and politely explaining that I actually tried to "work as unto the Lord" for the umpteenth time, they'd either get the fact that they couldn't intimidate me, or fire me..... man, I miss those days, lol.

FarmerTan

Some people are leaders, some are followers. A good leader is the one who has more followers than a bad leader.

As to which leader the followers will choose, that often depends more on the nature of the follower, than that of the leader.

YMMV
Well said. I might add, with your permission? that a good follower can sometimes be a great leader. Humility is a quality that few people automatically think of in a leader.

Random thoughts.

A trusted platoon leader, for example, is someone who yells, "Follow me!" (And despite the danger, guys do!)

Someone can be a good administrator, or manager, but just an okay leader. And a good leader can be a lousy administrator.

FarmerTan

Random thoughts.

A trusted platoon leader, for example, is someone who yells, "Follow me!" (And despite the danger, guys do!)

Someone can be a good administrator, or manager, but just an okay leader. And a good leader can be a lousy administrator.
Your random thoughts are better than most folks contemplative ones my friend.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well said. I might add, with your permission? that a good follower can sometimes be a great leader. Humility is a quality that few people automatically think of in a leader.

Absolutely! I didn't mean to imply that someone couldn't be both. On reflection, I should have made that clearer.

I would say that a good leader need to do what needs to be done and inspire other to do the same. Sometimes that means being patient, sometimes it means being a good listener, sometimes that means being a nurturer and fostering growth in others, sometimes that means giving people tough love when they need it. Sometimes it also means knowing which to use at the proper time.

FarmerTan

I would say that a good leader need to do what needs to be done and inspire other to do the same. Sometimes that means being patient, sometimes it means being a good listener, sometimes that means being a nurturer and fostering growth in others, sometimes that means giving people tough love when they need it. Sometimes it also means knowing which to use at the proper time.
Excellent post. It was what I strove for as a little league coach. But I never could have worded it that well.

Great topic and a thought provoking one. Leaders of great corporations are all over the map. Some in the corporate world go with the, "find a need and fill it" formula. Then there are those like Steve Jobs whose posture was to release products for which there was no demand. But once customers saw them they had to have them. General Patton was well known for identifying the goal but never telling his men how to get there. That was up to the men. LBJ spent a lot of time micromanaging the war in Viet Nam. Ike delegated to Bradley, Montgomery and others but assumed full responsibility should D-Day have failed. I recall reading the note he wrote that was never read aloud since it was a success.

I found Ike's note:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

Last edited:
A good leader has to be a great listener! And he should surround himself with good men.

You gotta be willing and able to listen to gripes with respect, listen to praise with half an ear, and be very attentive to the things that are not said. A tall order.

I am not a good leader - I'm the guy you want as your right hand man. Give me orders, and I'll get the stuff done.

Jocko Willink Extreme Ownership. I believe this book sums up the qualities a good leader should embody. Some of the principles:

1. The Leader must own everything in his or her world.
2. As a leader, it's not what you preach, it's what you tolerate.
3. A leader must be a true believer in the mission
4. Controlling the ego

These are only 4 principles from the book. I think that if someone follows these types of principles, for themselves and others, then they would be considered a good leader.

A good leader backs his or her family / employees when they are right. A leader seeks the best for others. A leader motivates others by taking action and encouraging others to do the same. A leader shows integrity, motivation, and commitment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

A good leader backs his or her family / employees when they are right. A leader seeks the best for others. A leader motivates others by taking action and encouraging others to do the same. A leader shows integrity, motivation, and commitment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Good advice brother.

A good leader understands the following:
Leadership is an ACTION not a POSITION

A leader never sends anyone to do something he/she wouldn't do or doesn't know how to do it.

A leader has to have the ability to always learn.

A good leader is also a good simplifier that can cut thru argument, debate and doubt and offer a solution everybody can understand.

And the quality I like the most is a leader is there to serve, not to be served.

I always seem to end up in leadership position. I just be okay as a boss because I'm still on good terms with the people I've fired.

Top Bottom