What's new

What do you value most with a shave?

Before I started with wet shaving, I shaved every day (one pass) without any problem, but to be honest I don't remember much of the total experience or result because this was something I just did to finish quickly.

Now that wet shaving has become a hobby, I memorize every detail of the complete shave, soaps, razor blade, razor, passes, and how long it should take between each shave to get the most comfortable shave.

For me it means a lot to get the optimal feeling of a perfect shave once or twice a week but to get to this I have to wait 3 days of growth, then I can enjoy 3-4 passes (BBS)

I can shave every day (2pass) with a gentle razor and ok result, but I think it's worth three days waiting for the perfect feeling.

What do you value most with a shave?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't want a BBS shave. Being an SR shaver, I enjoy the act of shaving much more than trying to get a BBS result. Three passes (WTG, XTG & ATG) give me a perfect BBS result but then I have to wait 48 hours before I something to shave again. I learnt to restrict my passes to two (WTG & XTG) so as to get a DFS result and have something to shave the next day.

What do I value most with a shave? I think what I value most is enjoyment of this gentlemanly art of SR shaving with the knowledge that I prepare and maintain the edges that give me this pleasure.

I mostly value the cost savings of using my safety razor.

Next in line is a comfortable, irritation free shave.

Chasing for an ultra close shave just leaves me with skin that’s incredibly irritated and mad at me for days.

I’m a simple dude. I’ve used Arko shave soap without trying anything else for almost 6 years now, and I use astra SP blades. Hell, I used a merkur 34c and a cheap $10 Amazon “badger” brush for years.

I’ve undoubtedly saved a good bit of money since embarking on this journey.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I enjoy the preparation and ritual of shaving, and the relaxation is provides, and I very much enjoy the process of face lathering. I absolutely must have a good strong post shave burn with an alcohol based aftershave, and I am quite prepared to shave too close in order to get it. A mild burn, or worse no burn at all, is a huge disappointment.

It’s an activity that both lets me relax and demands that I be fully present in the moment to get the best results. To paraphrase William Morris
“The true source of human happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in the details of daily life and learning to elevate them by art”

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I appreciate the differences and similarities in the brotherhood of shavers. There is a common thread, an understanding that shaving is not a chore to tackle. I like the mindful awareness I hone, being fully present to appreciate all the elements of a shave. I value the experience.

Ideally, I want my entire grooming ritual to be a complete escape from the other 23.5 hours of the day; A time where I'm not working, cooking, cleaning, yelling at the kids, etc.

It's the best part of my day. every day.

as long as the scents are good and the shave itself isn't painful, then it will be great.

I value the escape from the modern world into another time where my skills are what count and just buying a new razor is not going to increase my skill level.

I love to be able to shave with a razor that I honed. Bringing back a 100+ year old razor and shaving with it really increases my satisfaction.

The removal of hair for that is the purpose of shaving.

I enjoy the process and value all of it's aspects; soaking the brush, making a great lather with quality soap, taking in the aroma of the soap scent wafting through the air, using the lathered brush to exfoliate my skin and prepare my hair and skin for the shave, a sharp but smooth razor cleanly slicing the hair off as close as possible while not irritating my skin, the post shave feel provided by the soap and topped of by use of alum, witch hazel, and/or aftershave, the feel of a cleanly shaved face, the scent the aftershave throughout the hours afterwards, the savings per shave compared to cartridge razors. It is the sum of all of these that make me gladly look forward to shaving instead of viewing it as a chore.

Top Bottom