What's new

What Do You Use For Home Defense?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Alex:
In our house (and the Mrs. was also in the Army), our HD weapon is our 'good ole trusty' pump action, 6 round (+ one in the chamber), 12 gauge 590 Mossberg w/ sling (we have the older model and is similar to the Army issue M500 combat model), Shotgun (nothing like the sound of a shotgun shell being chambered).
proxy.php

Mossberg 'is the name' when it come to shotguns. I've used the Army M500 combat shotgun for many, many years and I can tell you...it is an excellent and well-proven weapon. :thumbsup:

attachment.php

For the latest model...read more here: http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...t-9-shot/51660
proxy.php
"Our home is our domain…and we shall defend it against those who wish us harm". CBJ.

For "right now" defense it's a six D-cell Maglite and a dark house. With more prep time it's the option of sharp pointy things, solid oak walking cane, 60" oak hoe handle, and for really serious trouble a 12 gauge shotgun with choice of 00 buckshot or hollow point rifled slugs.

We have a S&W .357 next to the bed. But that is a last resort, I would prefer to deal with an intruder with my bare hands. or.... Good reasoning skills. At least with my bare hands, I could choose if deadly force was necessary.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Anyone ever pattern some of the home defense shells. Sellier and light field come to mind

"Low recoil" buckshot will pattern tighter than standard or magnum loads. Federal low recoil tactical 12 ga. 00 will keep all the pellets on a silhouette target at 25 yds through most shotguns, at least it does in my Mossberg 590 cylinder choked and my Remington 870 Imp. cylinder.

Last edited:
As a retired police officer I have a few revolvers and auto's placed at various places around the house so that I never have to go hunting for a weapon should one be needed.

Sig Sauer P245 with 6+1 rounds of .45 ACP, Mexican carry at 4 o'clock. If I were to live in Beverly Hills, or some upscale community then I would probably open carry all the time.

An Inuit sculpture was good enough for our former prime minister Jean Chretien. If the moment arises I'll grab something like that.

Who needs a gun when you can swing prehistoric sculpture with reckless abandon.

I wonder if the PM goes to the sculpture range and practices?

You don't need a license to get art in Canada do you?!?!?!?!?!

:popc:

Who needs a gun when you can swing prehistoric sculpture with reckless abandon.

I wonder if the PM goes to the sculpture range and practices?

You don't need a license to get art in Canada do you?!?!?!?!?!

:popc:

I'm pretty sure he would have grabbed a hockey stick if there had been one. But with all those rooms at 24 Sussex Drive, and him being Prime Minister and all, I don't think he had his hockey stick in his bedroom.

We all own hockey sticks, of course.

I'm pretty sure he would have grabbed a hockey stick if there had been one. But with all those rooms at 24 Sussex Drive, and him being Prime Minister and all, I don't think he had his hockey stick in his bedroom.

We all own hockey sticks, of course.

Most of us would have a sawed-off (hockey stick) under the bed.
dave

Not paranoid, just not willing to outsource the defense of me and my loved ones. We lead quite a lovely life without paranoia, despite all the guns. :lol

+1 I live over 20 miles away from the nearest gas station. It could take 45min to an hour to wait on law enforcement. I am not willing to risk my family's safety by not being prepared to defend ourselves if it ever comes to that.

Living in a safe place. And good neighbours.
Safety, in my opinion is just an illusion. I lived through the hurricane Andrew and Miami riots. My wife's family owned a shop in the NY City during one of the blackout. My friends were caught in LA riots. I have first hand accounts of NO during Catrina. Law and order can disintegrate faster than you think. Fortune favors the prepared mind.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Safety, in my opinion is just an illusion. I lived through the hurricane Andrew and Miami riots. My wife's family owned a shop in the NY City during one of the blackout. My friends were caught in LA riots. I have first hand accounts of NO during Catrina. Law and order can disintegrate faster than you think. Fortune favors the prepared mind.

^THIS. How often have we heard someone lamenting that "Nothing like this has ever happened around here before!" after some "unprecedented" tragedy?

^THIS. How often have we heard someone lamenting that "Nothing like this has ever happened around here before!" after some "unprecedented" tragedy?

I wonder what would happen after everything gets back to normal and it is found out that there are scores of corpses in your home?

What is the number that would be considered "reasonable"? Not that I want to have the top body count during an emergency or anything, just wondering how it would be viewed if you are alive and everyone who entered your home isn't?

We are near DC and I am afraid that I will live long enough to see a small satchel "package" detonated there during my lifetime.

Should that happen , our area would be spared the "blast" but the outflow of those who feel the need to flee will overrun everything in their path.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
"Scores of corpses in your home"??!
I'm not sure what scenario you're contemplating! My comment was more directed to the naive person who thinks everything is safe in their neighborhood, not so much the zombie apocalypse. However, it is believed that a lot of people "disappeared" during Katrina, never accounted for by accidental / natural death or evacuation. As a Katrina survivor, I've heard many credible stories from LEO and first responders, but we will never know for sure.
I would most likely bug out long before a score (20) of bodies accumulated in my home, or at the very least, haul them off to the swamp! JK, JK!

S&W Shield .40 with Trijicon Night Sights.. its also my EDC. it also shouldn't be hard to get them after my very protective lab gets a hold of them..

"Scores of corpses in your home"??!
I'm not sure what scenario you're contemplating!

I'm not contemplating anything.... What others have in mind is out of my control.

Should this come to pass, there is little point of leaving home as long as you can keep others out and have water enough to last several weeks until the dust settles and law and order is somewhat restored (i.e. martial law). I have a 300 gallon stock tank on legs that I will start to fill from the city water supply before it runs dry. This should hold us but the problem will be the lack of civil order. the house is too tight to swing the belt fed into action so the smaller arms will have to do for protection as long as we can stay here.

An event of this magnitude will dwarf all natural disasters experienced in this country.

We are near DC and I am afraid that I will live long enough to see a small satchel "package" detonated there during my lifetime.

Should that happen , our area would be spared the "blast" but the outflow of those who feel the need to flee will overrun everything in their path.

Top Bottom