What's new

What Do You Use For Home Defense?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've no doubt that citywide and perhaps even nationwide, home invasions are on the rise. For the record, I am a gun owner and if I were confronted in my home by an armed thug, I would take some comfort in having my weapon. However, I am also the father of three young kids. As such, the precautions that I must take to secure my firearm would render it useless to me in most emergency situations. If I were to cut corners with these safety precautions, there is no doubt that one of my children would find my weapon and potentially injure themselves or someone else. Lastly, even if I were able to solve for these issues, I would still need to think long and hard about firing my gun in my house with my family present for fear that it would rip through the drywall and injure one of them accidentally. So you see, for me, it's not that simple, which is why I work hard to afford a house with video surveillance system in a gated community aka a better neighborhood.

I know exactly how you feel, myself being a father of 6 children and a police officer. My kids are all grown and gone now, with families of their own. But when they were younger, they knew We had a tradition in our house, where if they wanted to see or hold a gun, Dad would stop what he was doing and let them see and hold it. They knew it was ok as long as I supervised and used the moment to educate them on the subject.

It took away from them the "forbidden fruit" and they never had an interest, unless it was with their Dad. I would take them to the range, even before they were old enough too shoot and let them pick up empty brass, let them see what a bullet could and would do to a watermelon and the damage it could create. They always realized, exactly how important owning a firearm is and the great responsibility that came with possessing one.

all six of them, 2 boys, 4 girls, all, were actively shooting air guns and .22's by the age of 10. While i have always owned a gun safe, and they were always secured, I know i could have left a gun out, and they would not touch it. One time, when my oldest son was 11, he and some friends were walking home from school, and found a gun by a apartment dumpster.

My son, would not let his friends touch the gun. my son and his three friends ran to the house and woke me up out of bed and told me. I loaded all four of them up in my patrol car, and they showed me were it was at. it was a small .25 caliber pistol, been a while, but I think it was a Jennings. I secured it, ran the serial # thru NCIC and it was in fact a stolen firearm, when I turned the gun it at work that night, I found out it was probably pitched there about 4 days prior from a teenaged gang member who was running from our officers on an incident a few days back and wasn't found.

I was so proud of my son, I couldn't praise those four boys enough. They all got taken out for ice cream that day, and one of our local judges honored those boys several weeks later with Citations of Merit which they all took to school and showed off.
[MENTION=83105]speedwell[/MENTION], if you have a place to secure your weapon, only get the weapon out at night and put it in your nightstand close by you, when everyone is asleep and in bed. Then put it back up and secure it, when everyone gets up the next day. I did that the whole time they were growing up, and I'm the police. :)

I know exactly how you feel, myself being a father of 6 children and a police officer. My kids are all grown and gone now, with families of their own. But when they were younger, they knew We had a tradition in our house, where if they wanted to see or hold a gun, Dad would stop what he was doing and let them see and hold it. They knew it was ok as long as I supervised and used the moment to educate them on the subject.

It took away from them the "forbidden fruit" and they never had an interest, unless it was with their Dad. I would take them to the range, even before they were old enough too shoot and let them pick up empty brass, let them see what a bullet could and would do to a watermelon and the damage it could create. They always realized, exactly how important owning a firearm is and the great responsibility that came with possessing one.

all six of them, 2 boys, 4 girls, all, were actively shooting air guns and .22's by the age of 10. While i have always owned a gun safe, and they were always secured, I know i could have left a gun out, and they would not touch it. One time, when my oldest son was 11, he and some friends were walking home from school, and found a gun by a apartment dumpster.

My son, would not let his friends touch the gun. my son and his three friends ran to the house and woke me up out of bed and told me. I loaded all four of them up in my patrol car, and they showed me were it was at. it was a small .25 caliber pistol, been a while, but I think it was a Jennings. I secured it, ran the serial # thru NCIC and it was in fact a stolen firearm, when I turned the gun it at work that night, I found out it was probably pitched there about 4 days prior from a teenaged gang member who was running from our officers on an incident a few days back and wasn't found.

I was so proud of my son, I couldn't praise those four boys enough. They all got taken out for ice cream that day, and one of our local judges honored those boys several weeks later with Citations of Merit which they all took to school and showed off.
@speedwell, if you have a place to secure your weapon, only get the weapon out at night and put it in your nightstand close by you, when everyone is asleep and in bed. Then put it back up and secure it, when everyone gets up the next day. I did that the whole time they were growing up, and I'm the police. :)
I completely agree it is how you are taught growing up. As a navy brat that grew up in the country we always had guns around and went hunting every year I had an advantage over a lot of people by having the ability to learn gun safety and gun control at a very young age. That being said I have had friends that were shot by stray bullets from someone playing with a gun in a neighbors house. No one died thank god. So I do understand peoples fear and outspokenness about guns in the home.

Now with all that 5 years ago in Kissimmee Florida I was sleeping when 2 teenagers broke into my home with knives. I heard them when a screen door closed and was able to hold them at gun point until the police arrived. I thank god that I never had to pull the trigger but with the training and knoledge that was instilled into me at a young age I was able to protect myself.

So before we take guns away maybe we should all take the initiative to seek out training for the young and up and coming generation so as accidental gun injurys and deaths go down and allow them the same privileges to protect themselves and there property that we have

Last edited:
Ruger SR9c and S&W M&P 9MM in the quick access safe. Plus a S&W 38 special, Remington 870, Ruger Single Six, and Ruger 10/22 all in the gun safe. The funniest part of the collection at my house is that it was started by my wife, and 3 of those are hers.

Having a firearm for home or personal defence in ireland is illegal. But there happens to be a 1916 smle lee enfield bayonet close to hand strangely in my house :001_smile.

Remington 870 Express Tactical in 12 gauge, much like this one, loaded with six rounds of 00 buck.
$remington 870.jpg

I completely agree it is how you are taught growing up.
So before we take guns away maybe we should all take the initiative to seek out training for the young and up and coming generation so as accidental gun injurys and deaths go down and allow them the same privileges to protect themselves and there property that we have

Years ago, when I was involved in a Jr High School, the "health studies" teacher pointed out that a western state, OR I think, had made CPR certification mandatory in public schools, and survival rates from accidents had been drastically improved.

A few months later a discussion about child deaths from gun accidents prompted me to observe that if gun safety classes were mandatory this statistic would improve as well.

The discussion went south from there.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Years ago, when I was involved in a Jr High School, the "health studies" teacher pointed out that a western state, OR I think, had made CPR certification mandatory in public schools, and survival rates from accidents had been drastically improved.

A few months later a discussion about child deaths from gun accidents prompted me to observe that if gun safety classes were mandatory this statistic would improve as well.

Lol'd. I can imagine. :)

IMO a mandatory gun safty class in school would be a great idea. For the most part we live are entire life using what was taught to us at an early age. So if teaching your kid about guns in school would help them appreciate how dangerous they were at an early age and how to handle them properly could cut down the number of injurys or deaths I'm all for it.

My kids will be taught gun safty at an early age like I was starting with bb guns moving up to .22lr and so on. I just hope they have the ability to pass that along to their children

Heck, Will, schools used to have shooting teams, and not so long ago, either. Well, within my lifetime, at least, which is kinda long . . . :laugh:

Another thing early training does is de-mystify the machine.

[Sorry for the OT flow.]

I prefer to instruct family members on firearms safety myself thank you. You never know who might be teaching it...they may know what they're doing, and then again, they may not.

I prefer to instruct family members on firearms safety myself thank you. You never know who might be teaching it...they may know what they're doing, and then again, they may not.

Yeah, that would certainly be the downside. Better probably to have NRA certified instructors, or similar come in to teach periodic seminar style sessions. I do think anything's better than the alternative, which is for kids to learn about firearms from movies or TV (and thus, completely clueless).

Yeah, that would certainly be the downside. Better probably to have NRA certified instructors, or similar come in to teach periodic seminar style sessions. I do think anything's better than the alternative, which is for kids to learn about firearms from movies or TV (and thus, completely clueless).
I agree with all of the above and it is not something that could be done overnight but a possible options could be retired/off duty police that I'm sure would love to see gun safty taught at a younge age that way mabey they may not get as many call about accidental shootings from kids playing with guns. There are no easy or quick solutions to an ongoing problem of gun violence just some options to keep the accidental shootings from happening. And if my generation (I'm 29) doesn't do as much as we can to solve some of the issues my kids generation may not have the same ability to own firearms that I do.

Not trying to cause a debate I am a lifetime member of the NRA and support there fight over the 2nd amendment but they can only do so much it's up to the public to help come up with solutions

Top Bottom