What's new

What do you think about Vulfix?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I started DE shaving with a 2234 and it was my daily brush for nearly 8 months until I got my two B&B 2006 brushes. To that point I pretty much thought that the Vulfix was the cat's meow and did not feel the need to migrate to a higher/pricier brush because I was happy with what I had.

and now? still meow?

and now? still meow?

To me it's now more of a cat's subtle sleeping purr.

I've put the Vulfix away in favor of my two awesome B&B 2006 brushes. The Vulfix gave me months of great service and I hope it will continue to do the same for my SWMBO who loves the brush for its softness.

Got a Vulfix 2234 from SWMBO for Christmas. Right now it's my everyday brush, but it is a little "floppy." I use a Taylor's mini for soaps, and am awaiting my B&B finest/horn. I wouldn't discount the Vulfix, but I think I want to try a Shavemac next.

But I will keep the Vulfix around and in the rotation!

Raphael - I started with a Vulfix #2234 ($55) and have used it as an everyday shaving brush. It has been great with creams and soaps but it is a bit floppy for a true scrubbing action. With that said it is a great brush and of excellent quality. I am now using the B&B Silvertip ($110) as my everyday brush but honestly have not found it to be twice as good of a brush as my Vulfix. The B&B is twice as good looking in the horn with the silver B&B coin on the bottom. Yes, I would recommend the Vulfix brush and Classicshaving.com as a retailer.

I also have the #2234 as well as the #403..I am in agreement that the #2234 is a little floppy but it feels great on my face. The quality is there in regards to loosing hairs. None on my #403 and one on my #2234 and I have had them for 5 months now. It is a personal decision on what one likes and how they want it to perform.

When I made my purchase, the only thing I had to go by was the MSNBC article, so I bought a low end Vulfix (#2197). Granted I don't know any better and I'm a newb so I have nothing to base an opinion from, but to me the bristles seem stiff and prickly. If I really work my face with the brush it just itches. So take that for what it's worth. I figure once I use up a few shave soaps and creams, and feel confidant with my skills, I might upgrade to a better brush.

It's kind of like when I started golfing. I picked up a used set of sticks and went out and played. Hybrid irons with graphite shafts wouldn't have helped much. Take advantage of the good stuff when you can actually tell if it's good or not.

I bought a Vulfix 2235 about mid 2005 and used it as my only brush for about 9 months. I was very pleased with its its build, feel and performance. Then, after reading the shaving forums too much, I decided I 'needed' something 'better'. So, I bought a ShaveMac 23mm Silvertip, then a C&E Best Badger and eventually a Savile Row 3120 Sillvertip. The ShaveMac is about 60% of my brush rotation, while the other 40% is about equal between the Vulfix, the C&E and the Savile Row.

The Vulfix has not shed a hair that I can remember. I love the heft and feel of the handle, the tips have a soft feel to the face [which I like] and it performs especially well with creams and average wtih soaps. If I hadn't got the 'itch' to buy more brushes I could probably be happy using it 100% of the time. But, just like flashlights and other toys, I just can't be happy with one!

Among the brush world, I think Vulfix makes a good quality brush and if you want one then buy it. And, if you don't already know it, don't come to the shaving forums thinking you will 'buy only one brush' [no matter what the brand] and it will be the perfect brush! Men and our toys figure into the equation somewhere....so be prepared to satisfy your curiosity and fulfill the wetshavers motto: 'I really need one more brush'! :biggrin:

I think there are a lot of choices out there (which is a good thing) these days, but if you like the look of a certain Vulfix brush, I say go for it. I have a Vulfix in super that I've been quite pleased with that has stood a lot of abuse and continues to perform. I think it's a 2235 or something like that but I'm not positive. Almost every cream or soap photo I've posted lather pics of on here, SMF, Wetshavers (way back...) and perhaps SRP has been while using that brush. As far as I can recall, it has yet to lose a bristle, lathers like a champ, and is apparently indestructable, as I've stored it in ziploc bags, backpacks, etc. for trips and even loose in the bottom of my helmet bag.
It's a great brush. Are there other options out there? of course. Just do not rule out the Vulfix, especially if you like a certain one of them.
Just my opinion, anyway. I like mine. (I have other brushes I also like too, but I have no intentions of being rid of my Vulfix and still reach for it quite often)
Hope this helps.
John P.

I have 3 Vulfixes, along with brushes by Simpsons, Omega, Rooney, the B&B Silvertip (the Finest will get here someday . . . ). Vulfixes are good values for the money and hold their own performancewise beside any of the other big-name brands.

They're solidly built and Vulfix has great customer service.

As for whether the Vulfix style is for you, it's a YMMV issue. But you owe it to yourself to try one sometime.

Mike

My Vulfix 2233 has been a great introduction into the world of wetshaving. I wouldn't know if it was floppy or not, I have nothing to compare it to. someday I may decide to try a premium brush - but I'm spending too much money on creams and soaps right now!

I have been using a Vulfix Super Badger. I cant remember the number of the brush. Its a 19mm knot with a 55mm loft and pewter handle. (The Mrs. thought it was a good match for my razor. The pewter that is.) It shed two hairs in the first week and not a single one since. It makes a good lather and holds quite a bit of water. My fave part is the handle design. Its like a Simpson PJ. Alil longer for mixing lather in the bowl but can still control it well on my fav. However, its floppy! Really floppy! If it wasnt for that I would have never looked at the shavemacs. Which I ordered one from VintageBrushes. The 167 with the 30MM knot! Ohh yes! Its gonna be like XMas this week! :001_wub:

The only Vulfix I've tried is my monster #38. It's not floppy and once lathered, I can just walk into it and I'm lathered, lol! It's also very comfortable, soft on the face and I have a ball using it!

Patrick, that is one monster of a brush. I'd looked at it a few times, and I think the long handle would be great but the 38mm knot just seems like it would be too large for me. But seems like you're really enjoying it! Nice looking brush!

Top Bottom