What's new

What do you gots in your pocketses. EDC.

ouch said:
Get your Fenix and Arc yet?

Yup, and I have one more biggie on the way to replace an old Maglite we use to check the horses when trail camping. Sigh... I was looking for a AAA LED backup light to carry everyday and use as a backup for hiking as my headlamp (PT Eos) also takes AAAs. It is easier to carry a single battery type when backpacking. My unenlightened thoughts...

The weights and sizes are very close to each other (important as a backpacker). The Arc has a 0.5W Nichia LED whereas the L0P has the 1W Luxeon (as you know), thus they even though they are both AAA LEDs, they are not at all a similar light in that regard.

The Arc just oozed quality - it is an outstanding light, built like a tank, solid, beautiful. The Fenix is mass produced (the first mass produced 1W Luxeon apparently) and just felt "cheap" compared to the Arc, but that is an unfair statement in a way. There is no comparison on brightness - that 1W bulb in the Fenix just blows away the Nichia 0.5W in the Arc. But, there are some important differences. The Arc is regulated which is important to me, and it has incredible run time - 15 hours off an alkaline AAA. The Fenix is hot and bright and runs through batteries like a fat kid eating Twinkies at about 1.5 hours burn, plus it is not a regulated light.

The brightness of the Arc is more than sufficient for an EDC light and too much brightness when backpacking is often just overkill. When I carried a multistage regulated headlamp that I tested (PT Corona), it has 8 0.5W Nichias in it and has 4 main power levels with each level has a half power modulated to it for 8 brighness levels. In bckpacking, you never use the full power - the bottom four levels are more than enough so the extra is just, well, extra.

The Fenix is now in my wife's purse so she has an emergency light and the Arc is on my keychain, but I would like to carry it in a different spot as it is not the handiest place.

Whew -
Dennis

mrob said:
Now, given that you guys have weapons, I mean this with no disrespect :tongue: , but. . .for those of you not in law enforcement or the military, why do you need to carry a weapon?

I'm honestly curious.

Because we can.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You make some great comments. The runtime for the Arc is extraordinary compared to the Fenix. For the type of use you describe, you definately need something that lasts a bit longer. The L0P has more of a "wow" factor in terms of output, but lacks the Arc's type 3 anodizing. The Fenix is as powerful as my 7 LED Peak McKinley (but nowhere near the Caribbean!).

Run time was never a problem for me. I only use lights for short bursts, and always have dozens of rechargeables on hand- NiMH AA and AAA's, and CR123A's.

BTW, I have the same Eos headlamp- what a marvelous tool for hands free work.

boboakalfb said:
I agree with you that people should know how to use their weapons safely...reminds me of a certain video of a DEA gving a class on weapons to a room full of students. By the way...this is not an accidental discharge as he puts it...it is a negligent discharge. In order to field strip a glock you need to pull the trigger before disassembling it...he didn't check the chamber before shooting himself in the thigh...and supposedly he is the professional?

That video is freaking hilarious! "I am the only one professional enough to carry this weapon."

What a foool, then he is sueing the DEA because he shot himself on video and now he has endured ridicule. Too bad he didn't have that aimed someplace else!

Edit. I found more of the unedited version. It gets better. After the cop shoots himself and proclaims it an "accidental discharge" He wants to continue the lecture to the kids about saftey and he has an assistant bring up what looked like a folding stock AK. Then students really start to freak considering this guy just shot himself. Begging them to "please put the rifle down" he then goes on to assure them that it is an unloaded weapon as he is bleeding from shooting himself with his "unloaded glock"

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
DoubleE said:
As the owner of 3 Surefires, at least a couple of these will be headed my way shortly! Do you own any of the AA cell varieties?

Fenix definately gets the nod in terms of brightness huh?

Sureifre makes some unbelieveable flashlights- U2, A2, E1L, L2 and others. They're really made for the long haul. A terrific bargain is the G2. If you use the 9V bulb and 2X 3.6V CR123A rechargeables, you get great output (but not for long!).

I have two of the Fenix AA's, an L1P and a limited production L1+. Great output for such a pocketable model. They sure work for me.

DoubleE said:
As the owner of 3 Surefires, at least a couple of these will be headed my way shortly! Do you own any of the AA cell varieties?

Fenix definately gets the nod in terms of brightness huh?
The Fenix has a 1W bulb whereas the Arc has a 0.5W bulb so, yup, it is much brighter. Impressively bright for a AAA flashlight. There is a PILE of information on CPF if you search around. Here is a thread that shows the beamshots:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105239
and
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105232&highlight=ARC+replace

I don't have any AA of the LED variety only an ancient Mag AA.

Dennis

Glock VS. 1911. Well, lets see. Call me a heathen but I like em both. On duty its a Kimber Custom Stainless .45 and a Smith and Wesson 442 .38 Spl on the ankle. Off duty (mostly in the winter when i can conceal it easier) its a Glock 27 .40 cal. Both great guns. I wouldnt trade either one.

If I was to carry a pistol, it would be a .410 Derringer. Small, simple, and good power. To me, anything more is overkill.

D

digitaleos

Sureifre makes some unbelieveable flashlights- U2, A2, E1L, L2 and others. They're really made for the long haul. A terrific bargain is the G2. If you use the 9V bulb and 2X 3.6V CR123A rechargeables, you get great output (but not for long!).

I have two of the Fenix AA's, an L1P and a limited production L1+. Great output for such a pocketable model. They sure work for me.

Ouch,
Just wondering if you still had the Fenix L1+, and if so, would you be willing to sell it? I've been trying to find one for awhile.

Chris

A set of keys (cars, office and House)and typically some sort of Spyderco Knife (plain edge, never serrated). A wallet and handkerchief go without saying.

If I was to carry a pistol, it would be a .410 Derringer. Small, simple, and good power. To me, anything more is overkill.

MarSellus carries left :biggrin:

No, I'm a gun owner too. I have a SIG P226 9mm, a Safari Arms 6" Matchmaster .45, a Colt Python .357 mag, a Walther PPK .380 and a Browning Buckmark .22.
But I don't carry :biggrin: Really, there is no need to do that in our nick of the woods... But I do practice a lot. I also reload my own ammo. The range is half a mile from my house. One thing I regret though, is that we can't do too much long range target shooting where I live. Very densely populated.

I've been trying out some gun cleaning equipment on my razors lately ...

Soak'em in Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner (that sure eliminates all the crud...) and lube them with gun oil afterwards for a real smooth action...:biggrin:

You mean there are so many people that somebody always gets in the way when you try long range? :eek: :smile:

Exactly! :biggrin:

No, the environmental permits are impossible to obtain for this sort of ranges as they are open air ranges and the noise would be unacceptable to nearby population. I'm talking about 300 metre or more ranges...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Realy simple for me ... my wallet, and two keychains. Maybe a listerine pocket pack.

I carry two keychains ... the second has a backup truckkey in case I lock myself out of my truck again. (I have been not stranded in strange towns on at least three occasions by this lifesaver of a backup.) :laugh:

Keys in right front, phone and Burts Bees balm in left front, wallet in right rear and hanky in left rear. I used to carry a penknife with the keys but that got to be too much. I like to travel light.

Occasional additions: iPod, prescription sunglasses.

I used to have two keychains: one for personal keys, one for college keys. Then I graduated (the second time) and turned in all my office/podium keys. So now I'm back to one ring...car, house, school, school office, church, church audio cabinet, parents' house.

When I was in high school I had every key for the whole building because I did a lot of after-school work. I've kept a fascination of sorts with keys ever since.

Top Bottom