What's new

What do you gots in your pocketses. EDC.

mrob said:
Now, given that you guys have weapons, I mean this with no disrespect :tongue: , but. . .for those of you not in law enforcement or the military, why do you need to carry a weapon?

I'm honestly curious.

One of the downsides of living in the beautiful SF Bay Area is the inability to obtain a CCW Permit if not in Law Enforcement...So Cal and more rural areas can have them issued, but good luck here. Hence I don't carry...but if I could it would obviously be for self defense.

Now if you enter my home there is a 12 ga. loaded with Federal HydraShok Buckshot SD Loads...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
murchmb said:
You missed my Photon Microlight hanging on the end of my Micra. When I need something more serious, I use a Surefire G2, but can't see myself carrying it around daily.

Like I said- not a single flashlight in there.:lol:

mrob said:
Now, given that you guys have weapons, I mean this with no disrespect :tongue: , but. . .for those of you not in law enforcement or the military, why do you need to carry a weapon?

I'm honestly curious.

Mitch,

For those of you that aren't demolition derby drivers, why do you need a seatbelt?

For those of you that aren't firefighters, why do you need a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?

For those of you that aren't professional race car drivers, why do you need a hot rod, or a sports car?

If you're obeying the law, then no one will even know you've got something on you not even police, EVER unless you've got to save your life. People fear them because they don't understand them (and granted, they can be extremely dangerous), but in the end, guns are a tool, just like a car, just like a knife, just like a sledgehammer, just like an axe, all of them can kill you or someone else if you don't treat them with the proper level of respect, but in the hands of people who take the time to train and educate themselves, the risk is marginalized.

On that subject, there are many non-law enforcement that are out there that have a lot more training than your average cop, or especially your armed security guard. There's a special trigger modification called the "New York Trigger" for Glocks that actually increases the trigger pull that's put on NYPD's Glocks, and many agencies have rules about what type of gun you can use because too many cops can't follow the four universal gun safety rules and end up resting their finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be. Cops are civilians too, and more importantly, they're humans. Training costs money, and many of them don't get enough of it, or don't avail themselves of the opportunities in front of them. Many police consider their role to be more geared towards social service. They pack a gun because regs demand it. Don't fool yourself into thinking that just because a city has issued a person a gun and rights to detain people, it automatically means they know how to use either effectively.

There, rant off, and for the record, I love cops, they need more money, and more rights to beat the crap out of criminals. :smile:

-Nick

mrob said:

I'm honestly curious.

Because I'm a MAN!!! (duh!) :a41: :a33:

The usual keys, chapstick (burt's bees), wallet, cell phone and surefire e2e. On the belt (iwb) depending on what I wear, S&W 1911 or G23 in a Milt Sparks VMII.

ouch said:
Like I said- not a single flashlight in there.:lol:

Ouch - Damg it, because of you I just plopped down purchases for both a Fenix LOP AND an Arc-AAA. Is it now a FAD?!?! :biggrin:

Dennis

Ok, another random, and technically off topic question or two for those guys that carry guns as a regular thing.

1) how the hell do you carry it so that it is actually concealed, and accessible enough to get out quickly? Short of always having an untucked shirt, I just can't figure it out....

2) are you all actually able to get the things out fast enough to do anything usefull as far as self defense? (Just guessing that one usually doesn't have much warning....). Not that I expect anyone to say no, but it seems like it is an issue.... I have no problem with anyone with adequate gun safety skill carrying, but it seems to me that the ability to use a gun safely and well is not exactly the same as being able to use it effectively in self defense.

3) isn't it a real pain to carry around? Just asking, cause I get annoyed at my keys and cell phone, and am fanatic about the size of my wallet. Knife is the only thing I have any tolerance for, and that just because it clips pretty out of the way at the top of my back pocket (I will not carry a knife without a clip).

All that said - I am a guy, therefore guns are cool. And if you wanna carry one around concealed, just in case of the extraordinarily rare possibility of needing to blow away someone trying to mug you, I say go for it. Hell, I live South of the Mason Dixon line, I figure everyone outta have a gun if the want to, just make sure they know how to use it.

Oh yeah, about my pockets:

Keys (only if I am not carrying a briefcase).
Wallet (the thinnest one you have ever seen).
Knife (nice little Xibar with bone scales at the moment - looks good enough to wear with professional clothes, and small enough not to freak the city folk, or get me arrested, since NYC has really stupid rules on size).

Also, if around work, sometimes have blackberry clipped on, and occasionally also carry cell phone (but don't really care for having either around).

ouch

Mike02 said:
Ouch - Damg it, because of you I just plopped down purchases for both a Fenix LOP AND an Arc-AAA. Is it now a FAD?!?! :biggrin:

Dennis

As much as I love my Arc and my Peaks (Matterhorn, McKinley, and Carribean), I am never without my Fenix L0P. I even shave with it.:lol:

Their L1P is a fantastic light, as well. I have it in black and silver, and people just can't believe what comes out of it.:cool:

front left....razor phone in beaver felt holder...2 master keys on a ringedcheap pocket knife...blade/screwdriver/file.

front right: levinger 4x6 card holder...holds my 4x6 cards for notes, used car list and important numbers.

right rear: hankerchief

left rear: wallet

I like to travel light......

moses said:
Ok, another random, and technically off topic question or two for those guys that carry guns as a regular thing.

1) how the hell do you carry it so that it is actually concealed, and accessible enough to get out quickly? Short of always having an untucked shirt, I just can't figure it out....

2) are you all actually able to get the things out fast enough to do anything usefull as far as self defense? (Just guessing that one usually doesn't have much warning....). Not that I expect anyone to say no, but it seems like it is an issue.... I have no problem with anyone with adequate gun safety skill carrying, but it seems to me that the ability to use a gun safely and well is not exactly the same as being able to use it effectively in self defense.

3) isn't it a real pain to carry around? Just asking, cause I get annoyed at my keys and cell phone, and am fanatic about the size of my wallet. Knife is the only thing I have any tolerance for, and that just because it clips pretty out of the way at the top of my back pocket (I will not carry a knife without a clip).

All that said - I am a guy, therefore guns are cool. And if you wanna carry one around concealed, just in case of the extraordinarily rare possibility of needing to blow away someone trying to mug you, I say go for it. Hell, I live South of the Mason Dixon line, I figure everyone outta have a gun if the want to, just make sure they know how to use it.

Ok...I live west of the Mason Dixon Line in SF, so no carry here as stated above. I mean we are in an area that actually voted to have all citizens turn in their hand guns because of crime issues..I guess these peope actually thought that the bad guys would turn in their guns? Didn't seem to help out in Washington D.C. but I digress because that has since been overturned.

If you were interested there is a ton of info on Glock Talk in the carry issues section of the forum. There are different ways to carry...IWB (Inside Waist Band) and OWB (Outside Waist Band). Different holsters...size of guns will contribute to the comfort. If people want to carry then I guess they will to some extent sacrifice comfort in order to carry concealed. Obviously some methods are better than others and that is why people spend the money on good gun belts and holsters to maximize comfort. What works for me may not work for you...yada yada...you understand.

Your comment on being able to utilize the weapon is valid...there is a saying in self defense I believe that within 6 feet give me a knife...because in that time you couldn't draw your weapon.

I agree with you that people should know how to use their weapons safely...reminds me of a certain video of a DEA gving a class on weapons to a room full of students. By the way...this is not an accidental discharge as he puts it...it is a negligent discharge. In order to field strip a glock you need to pull the trigger before disassembling it...he didn't check the chamber before shooting himself in the thigh...and supposedly he is the professional?

About a year ago, I gave up on the whole "cram a bunch of stuff into your pockets" and bought a man bag (brown and black - not listed there). It looks nice, and it holds stuff that I need during the day. When I'm at school, I usually carry either a small or medium sized Timbuk2 messenger to carry books, papers, my iBook, etc.

Anyway, on a normal day when I'm just carrying the Tom Bihn bag, I've usually got:
>> My slick DIY Planner
>> 60 gig iPod with Westone earbuds
>> Some sort of lip treatment
>> Keys
>> Pen, pencil
>> Timbuk2 Money Clip Wallet (given up on the regular bi/trifold options)

Carrying a bag is really one of the best decisions I've ever made. And, here in Seattle, I blend right in with the rest of the yuppie/hipster crowd...

If it were me, I'd say within 6 feet give me martial arts training, because getting out a knife, especially a folder, it likely to be an issue too....

But that takes more work, which I've never made time for.

moses said:
I can deliver two rounds to the center of the thoracic cavity from concealed carry in just about 1.5 seconds. If you need less than that, you're not doing your job of keeping yourself out of those situations well enough.

The international standard of how much distance you need to respond to a threat is 21 feet. At 21 feet, if someone comes at you with a knife or a bat, and you have a gun, it's pretty much a statistical tie. Within 21 feet, you're just as screwed if someone has a knife as if they have a gun.

BTW, IIRC that's not 21 feet from concealment, that's at the ready. You can close a 21 foot gap mighty easily in a short amount of time, and if you have a knife in your hand and momentum, you might be a lost cause when the other guy shoots you, but you're still likely to do a lot of damage to him too.

-Nick

hmmm... 1.5 seconds does sound pretty fast.... I do always wonder how often this situation really comes up though. But people do get mugged, I suppose. And what the hell, why not make sure it isn't you....

Why not at least make muggers and rapists think "This person might have the means to end me" first.

Of course, what do I know, I've been blowing my rape whistle for years, and no one's taken me up on the offer yet. :wink:

-Nick

Nick said:
Why not at least make muggers and rapists think "This person might have the means to end me" first.

Of course, what do I know, I've been blowing my rape whistle for years, and no one's taken me up on the offer yet. :wink:

-Nick
:thumbup1:

Valet style wallet (hybrid card carrier/money clip), right front pocket
Motorola Razr V3, "watch" pocket (The joys of Levi's Silvertabs...a watch pocket big enough to jam your fist in there)
Keys, left pocket.

If I felt a need to carry a blade anymore, it would be a straightedge clip-point benchmade panther, which was my old daily carry. Pity they aren't made anymore, IMO that was the perfect knife visually and performance-wise....I wish BM would make a steak knife set based on that blank...I know I already use my panther as my steak knife of choice :)

ouch

Mike02 said:

Dennis

Get your Fenix and Arc yet?

Top Bottom