What's new

What do you find to be overrated? Underrated?

Overrated: Any expensive Badger brush. Too floppy/soft, make sure the water isn't too hot, expensive, worry that the brand label wears off, Chinese culling ethic issues, have to fight with it to give up the lather. Its the true high maintenance trophy wife of the shaving world.

Never have such worries with $10-20 Boars. They are the blue collar work horses of the shaving world. Not as pretty, but cheap, comfortable and 100% effective. I never fret about if the knot is one day going to start shedding, fall out, brush label wear off, lose it while travelling or if the too hot soaking water will damage the brush.

Overrated: cleaning, polishing, drying, scrubbing, oiling, disinfecting DE safety razors. If its vintage, do it once and then use it the way it was intended. I don't think Grandpa ever got out scrubbing bubbles, Maas polish and a soft bristle cleaning brush every time he did a blade change.

Overrated: Unopened Collector grade NOS. Razors were never intended to be saved in unopened packaging and collected. It was Stamp collecting in the 70's, baseball cards in the 80's, comics/beanie babies in the 90's. Vintage toys in 00's. Razor collecting trends will come and go.

Overrated: Having a varied and wide selection and rotation of 20+ soaps/creams. I prefer to keep stock fresh and current.

UNDERRATED: The 99% of forum members that I have just offended and who have various AD's, enviable shaving gear collection or the well earned means to shower themselves with top notch gear. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

I belive this man deserves a beer or two.

Wow - Great Thread

Overrated - BBS and BBS Envy

Underrated - (ready for the replies...) The reformulated Old Spice Aftershave is a bit different but it is still a fine aftershave. My wife loves it and I still find it rekindles memories of my Dad. TGEFM

Overrated: MdC. Nice soap, but not noticeably better than MW, RR, the Beer Soap Brewing Company, Stirling, etc., etc.

Underrated: Queen Charlotte's aftershave products. These are just great.

Overrated
-MWF.....have no problems getting a great lather, but i get 0 protection. Nicks and weepers every time.
-Feathers....i know beating a dead horse by this point.
-YMMV

Underrated
-Shave Creams in general......Im a soap guy at heart but have found a handful of creams that can hold their own against any soap
-Sub $20 DE razors
-High quality shoes and mattresses....take care of your backs everybody!

Overrated: My Soap vs. Your Soap threads.

Underrated: Unicorn tears. My soap contains Unicorn tears making it slicker than any soap you have ever used.

Overrated: People complaining about artisan soap availability after spending the last 3 months in this forum yacking about how awesome that soap is.

Underrated: The 3 G's. Gratitude. Graze. Garbonzo Beans.

I'm a noob so have nothing to add one way or the other, but this is a GREAT thread! Lots of good recommendations here. Thanks guys!

Overrated: Fatboys, Slims, lots of TTOs in general, straights.

Underrated: Techs, EJDE89, 3piece DEs, L'Occitane soap and AS Balm, AOS creams.

Overrated: Expensive gear, both hardware and software. You can get the same results with less expensive stuff.
Underrated: Schick Injectors, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, mixed (badger/board) brushes, VDH soaps, VDH DE Razor (it may be cheap and flimsy but I've gotten GREAT shaves with it).

Overrated: Expensive gear, both hardware and software. You can get the same results with less expensive stuff.
Underrated: Schick Injectors, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, mixed (badger/board) brushes, VDH soaps, VDH DE Razor (it may be cheap and flimsy but I've gotten GREAT shaves with it).

Yes but.... It's more than just shaving to many. It's a hobby.

Yes they can get the same results with less expensive gear and product, but why drive the sensible Honda Civic when you can have the Lamborghini Gallardo? :thumbup1:

Yes but.... It's more than just shaving to many. It's a hobby.

Yes they can get the same results with less expensive gear and product, but why drive the sensible Honda Civic when you can have the Lamborghini Gallardo? :thumbup1:

Oh, I get that it's a hobby. It's my hobby as well. But functionally, I can get great shaves with my cheap gear...just as good if not better in some instances than my more expensive gear.

But come on, you can't be telling me that a Honda Civic can give you the same results as a Gallardo??!! :laugh:

Oh, I get that it's a hobby. It's my hobby as well. But functionally, I can get great shaves with my cheap gear...just as good if not better in some instances than my more expensive gear.

But come on, you can't be telling me that a Honda Civic can give you the same results as a Gallardo??!! :laugh:

If the objective is getting a good shave is compared to getting you from point A to point B. that's what my thought was, I'm probably wrong though. My thinking process is askew from lack of sleep. :tongue_sm

After completing my first 100 DE shaves, I finally decided I should try a Feather.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. Nice blade, but it wasn't shaving nirvana or prone to killing me if I looked at it wrong.

Over rated: Expensive "artisan soaps" and $100+ silver tip brushes

Under rated: Vulfix and Parker brushes

Top Bottom