What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Sat 12 SOTD
Cream SuperMax Menthol
Brush Yaqi 24mm Atlantis
Razor Gillette Slim N4
Blade SuperMax Blue Diamond 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Very nice lather from the cream. Lightly scented & cooling but very creamy and very slick...
Shave with razor paired with the blade at setting 9 for 3passes was very enjoyably smooth and comfortable. Managed a mostly bbs finish without any issues. Good aftershaves as usual. Rating 10/10!
20210612_110354.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp Super (5)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress” with 26mm V10 Fanchurian (Bulb)
Soap: House of Mammoth Hygge (Sample)
Aftershave: Ethos Clean (Unscented) Skin Food Splash
Rating: 10+ / 10​

Oh man, what a shave. The 🦊 and Perma-Sharp were fantastic together, glass like BBS with no cuts, weepers or irritation. First time using a House of Mammoth soap and wow is that stuff crazy slick, probably slickest soap I’ve used, yet still provides tons of cushion / protection. Third time using the Ethos aftershave, not noticing / feeling any benefit over my other aftershaves that justify the extra cost for almost half the size.

Soap/Cream: Palmolive stick
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock SE (8th)
AS: cold rinse; Pitralon Classic.
Lukewarm shower: La Maison de Savon de Marseille 'Masculin'

Two passes (WTG/ATG), excellent end result. But the blade starts showing its age.

9,5/10 for me

Saturday morning.

Windrose 6/8 x 2.5" barber's notch straight razor
Vie Long brown horse brush
Wickham's "Russian Leather" soap
Vintage (1980s) Cussons Imperial Leather "Classic" aftershave

One of those shaves that has you (or, at least, me) rubbing face and grinning for most of the day. The razor can be a bit tricky sometimes remembering that there's less of it, but I didn't trip over that this morning.

It's one of the cheaper plastic handled Vie Long brushes, but it does well and I'd recommend Wickhams soaps to anyone who asked (and probably a few who didn't). The "Russian Leather" smell is based on one of the classics, so the aftershave was a logical progression.

It all seemed to come together nicely this morning. I'm giving it a "10".

Wonderful shave on a 48-hour beard this Saturday am:

Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)/new Personna Red blade

Tabac in stick form

AP Shave Co. synthetic brush

Chiseled Face Midnight Stag AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Washed the phiz with Tabac and applied a bit more to the cheeks and throat, to sit as pre-shave while I ran my cool shave water and mixed baking soda into it for slipperiness. Rinsed, applied Tabac again, and face-lathered. After my regulation 3 minute wait, I wielded the razor. Recently I've been trying the straight razor-style skin stretching, pulling the cheek skin up and the throat down, and it definitely helps in planing me off. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, ATG (and even my lower lip sections got smoother than usual); pass 3, XTG and cleanup around the Adam's apple. Cheeks are definitely BBS. The throat is as close as I want to come without risking irritation. As for the Midnight Stag sample spray, all I can say about it is WOW for cooling; 10 minutes after applying it, I can still feel it. Lotion, powder, and time for another coffee.

Verdict: 9.8!

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Israeli Personna (1)
Brush: Vie-Long Horse,21mm
Bowl: Potter's House (local)

Cream: Proraso Sandalwood

Proraso Sandalwood aftershave splash

Two passes gave me a very smooth and close finish. No nicks or weepers or razor burn. 10
Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
12 June 2021
20210612_061328_HDR.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor:
WCS 84S—China?
Cream:
Old Spic Musk-–India till used up using rain water
Brush:
Omega 11126--Italy
Blade:
Wilkinson Sword—UK?? Shave #2
Passes:
WTG / ATG / moderate buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum.
Aftershave:
Brut--Mexico
Summary
Rating
:
Quality:
Results:

BBS
A great shave before leaving to work on a Habitat for Humanity rehab house project. For today's shave I had no remaining stubble, nicks, or weepers.

Today's shave

Razor: Schick Injector Type I2 -Hydro-Magic
Blade: Schick Injector (20)
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Rating: 10/10

I great BBS shave this AM, finished it off with a healthy dose of AV Ice Blue on a damp and humid morning.

I can't believe this blade is still shaving this well at 20 shaves, of course tomorrow it may give up it's ghost.

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Israeli Personna (1)
Brush: Vie-Long Horse,21mm
Bowl: Potter's House (local)

Cream: Proraso Sandalwood

Proraso Sandalwood aftershave splash

Two passes gave me a very smooth and close finish. No nicks or weepers or razor burn. 10
Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Looks like the horses are out this morning. Like the wooden handle - mine's just the 12603.

6C0C590A-F778-4A84-8CD1-9477B0770748.jpeg

Razor: RR Lupo .72
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Aftershave: CF Ghost Town Barber

Good morning! Today I tried a Gillette Platinum in the Lupo and was very pleased with the results. I haven’t used one in a while, I think because sharper blades worked better in my vintage Gillette razors, but I think the extra blade exposure of the Lupo might make it a little more versatile as far as blade choice. A very comfortable shave, DFS+ in two passes. Happy weekend everyone.

9/10

Lupo.95,Gillette wilkinson sword(Indian 3 and retired)Palmolive shave cream,Simpsons Tulip1 super,Thayers cucumber,Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso pre/post shave.Another great shave with the Lupo.95 felt a bit of tugging on the blade near the end and got 2 weepers.Thought i'd try my cheapest soap and the palmolive did a great job.Mild soapy scent and well slick enough i'd have no problem shaving with this soap every day.(But i won't)All in all a nice shave but should have swapped the blade. 8.5/10
20210612_131101[1].jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Shave Cream Bourbon Vanilla (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Bad Mor
Brush: WCS Honeycomb Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS Dual Comb .72OC/.95SB
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: PAA Coconut Bay splash

I normally wouldn't have shaved two days in a row...didn't really need it, but I wanted to try the Murphy & McNeil soap. I wasn't disappointed. Lathered quickly and easily and provided good slick protection. The lather was plentiful as well...could have done eight passes, nevermind four. The scent on this take on Bay Rum was very different...hard to describe. Smelling it in the container, the scent was mild, but when lathered, it came alive a bit more. It's a nice scent, one that grows on you the more you smell it. The shave was stellar. I used the .72OC side quite a bit on this shave. Smooth and efficient. End result was DFS/BBS all around. PAA Coconut Bay for the match!

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210612.jpg

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
GFT Sandalwood Cream
Brush
Paladin Chief
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Pre-war Tech
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Versace, The Dreamer
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Still alternating between one soap and this cream. This cream has really lasted and still works fine even though it is quite old and dry. The Paladin Chief is a big brush and makes more than enough lather for a four-pass shave on my face and neck and two passes on my head.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, June 12th 2021

Razor: Gillette Fatboy E2- Mfg 1959 2qtr, great historical razor, good weight and built to last. Good shave as usual.
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson sword saloon (2) smooth & sharp with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Proraso green eucalyptus, mid range menthol eucalyptus scent, great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Cashmere knot, new brush, soft feel, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(setting7) + ATG (setting 8)+ pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS, DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gillette Fatboy with a Gillette Wilkinson coated blade.

DE SOTD, Sat, June 12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Gem PTFE
Brush: Paladin 2xl 28mm
Cream: Cyril R Salter Sublime Citrus
Lather: Face (And I couldn’t stop!)
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave

The Shave: WTG/ATG for a DFS. The Sabre L2 performance was excellent as always. I’m a big fan of the CRS Sublime Citrus and the lather exploded with the Paladin 2xl, the scent filled the room and my face felt amazing being coated in the rich lather.
The design and execution of the Sabre, Paladin, and CRS were perfectly matched in today’s shave, the result was luxurious excellence. 11/10.
1064C24A-0214-4726-9A03-A4EDEBB64D40.jpeg
466102BB-3E66-4933-B74E-0185B572FF50.jpeg
69076890-3A90-436B-A654-0D5098F3482D.jpeg

Top Bottom