What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Old Spice shave cream (in a tube)
Brush: Fendrihan Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Timor SS (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Ogallala Bay Rum

Loving the Lupo with the Timor SS. DFS/BBS with no blood or injuries. Timor feels like it could easily go another two or more shaves. Was feeling very Ogallala today so I grabbed the extra strength splash.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210424.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I splashed my face with hot water and inaugurated my brand new Simpson Chubby 1 in best badger, using Martin de Candre Fougere. It quickly and easily too about three trips 'round the top of the puck and made ample perfect lather, enough so that rather than my customary three passes I took four just for fun. I love brushes of this size. At first blush it feels a lot like a T2, but as it hits the face it splays just the right amount. The T2 really requires painting unless you force it a bit. The Ch 1 is great either way and suits my style. The Above the Tie Windsor SSR-1, armed with a Crystal that was probably about a week old, did its usual superb job, yielding BBS without weepers or nicks or even really any work. The added weight produced by shifting from the Atlas handle to the Kronos handle makes it like being on autopilot to "let the razor do the work" without applying pressure. After a shower I splashed on 4711 cologne, completing the perfect shave, a ten.
FF445BE5-C322-4419-B51A-3E270EBA97F1.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans Peach & Cognac
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: RazoRock/Zenith 506UK Olive Wood Handle Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Mindless carefree shave.

I have no patience in waiting for a black Friday sale...haha.
Wish I bought this razor when it cost $50. They raised it up to $70.

Shaved it for the 1st time today, and I give it a 9.5 / 10
Feels like cheating using this razor, it was so smooth and irritation-free.

Henson Razor (mild)
Blade: GSB
Cream: A&E Kaizen
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger and Proroso Blue Balm.

IMG_0054.jpg

Pre Shave: AOS Pre-shave un-scented oil.
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Mystery
Razor: Gold Dollar courtesy of @Slash McCoy
Aftershave: Alum block, Osage Rub, AOS Unscented Balm

After killing my face with the SR last Sunday I went back to DE for the week. Picked the the SR back up today to regroup. Two passes WTG. No blood. No feedback from the alum. Not as close as I’d like but I’ll call it a success.

7.5/10 dinged because it’s only a CCS.

2578CC54-197B-416D-A42A-2C74BAB457EE.jpeg

Saturday afternoon shave... something like 30 hours growth... I used the SOC boar for face lathering Haslinger Sheep - wonderful. I really start to like this brush - and either I have learned to better deal with it or it has stopped eating lather. The lather was great, first two passes were wonderful, third was less comfortable - I guess the Personna had reached its end of service life. So all in all 8/10 as the last pass created two nicks at the neck.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG/XTG R4, ATG/touch up R3
Blade: Personna Red (3)
Brush: SOC Boar
Soap: Haslinger Sheep
Preshave: Bealea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans Peach & Cognac
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: RazoRock/Zenith 506UK Olive Wood Handle Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Mindless carefree shave.

I've got my eye on one of those olive wood 506 boars. I'm kidding myself I'll put off buying it for a while longer...

Soap: Cella
Razor: Fat handle Tech (pre-war)
Brush: Omega 10077
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR

Heading out of state next week and decided that I'm packing my fat handle tech this time around, so gave the setup a test spin. Great face lather, great shave. No cuts/irritation. It's going to be a good week.

10/10

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday morning shave

Razor: Geo. Wostenholm & Sons
Brush: Boar
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood

Razor performed admirably after a morning honing session. New scales are in order, but that will come in time. Just a great shave, getting plenty of mileage out of TOBS soap, splendid product IMHO. Happy Saturday!
83D98BE2-FA10-470A-86A4-C6A7F749E8AA.jpeg

9/10

20201120_075837.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1958 D4 195 Adjustable Fatboy
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten. Nice shave!

- Brush: Thater 4125/4 (The Beast)
- Razor: Game Changer .68 Jaws
- Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
- Soap: St James of London Tonka and Tobacco Flower cream
- Aftershave: B&M Soft Heart Unscented
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

My first post COVID vaccine shave. The AZ shot made me feel blah yesterday so I didn’t shave.

The Thater is just ridiculous. It is such a huge brush but so nice to use. PITA to clean, but it is excellent.

Almost BBS from the GC and Med Prep. I took the blade to 4 shaves, but 3 should be my max. The St. James cream is one of my favourites. Performs great and is strongly scented, so unscented AS is all I need for Saturday shave.

9.5/10

C4A06F80-6795-4228-B692-8A7D812E704D.jpeg

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: John J Hogan 503 Special​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Elite Razor Quilted Sapele with 24mm Mother Load​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Nil Scent (Fragrance Free) Shaving Soap (First time using!)​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.9/10 DFS! No irritation!
  • First time using this soap! So far, so good. Seems to have good protection and slickness. I need to give it a few more tries before I give a review
  • No scent shave today. I like having unscented software to test out the scent of anything new. I have never tried a complete unscented shave before. I guess I kind of miss having some sort of lingering scent....
  • A couple of minor nicks not worth mentioning that disappeared with my rinse
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Razor: Game Changer .68-P
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2’nd use)
Brush: Simpson #46 / Berkeley
Pre: Hot towel with glycerine soap, eucalyptus oil.
Soap: The last nubbin of a Speick stick
Post: Alum, vintage Avon Spicy from my vintage Old Spice decanter.

9.0/10

I have both the .68 and .84 Gamechanger plates, both have their time and place. I’m getting over some irritation from a different blade, so I wanted something smooth and mild this morning, this setup delivered BBS on the face and DFS on the neck. I’m down to one tuck of Polsilvers, should I try the Wizamets?

7B34B677-DD4C-418A-8314-D3B55CFC2DE2.jpeg

Brush: Rudy Vey Beehive Butterscotch Swirl 28mm, 2 Band Shavemac knot
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: MDC Fougere
Razor: Timeless Ti Sb .95
Post Shave: Ethos Unscented skin food, SV Cubebe aftershave

Have not used a feather in awhile went over one small area one to many times feels a little raw.

8.5/10
912914E0-B14E-4524-B7AE-96230568F9F4.jpeg

Not my best shave tonight, to be honest!

tempImageVBCNJi.jpg

My 40th shave with the Feather Kamisori with a 6th use Schick Proline kicked things off again, with the Postwar Tech and a 2nd use Wilkinson Sword blade on cleanup duty.

I think this soap made my skin tingle just a little bit tonight, and not in a good way. None of the passes were as comfortable as I'd like, and I had a weeper that didn't close up even after applying my post products. The results were generally DFS plus or minus a little.

Rating: 5/10. Gotta save room in the scale for much better shaves.

Tomorrow is my 200th shave overall, so I'm already thinking ahead. Go back to some tried and true favorites? Or, maybe break out one of those Pro Super blades for the shavette? Options...

Sun 25 SOTD
Soap PAA Cavendish
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor Gillette New SC
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + Hyaluronic + PAA Cavendish
My undisputed number 1 shave soap! Super aromatic sweet pipe scent...good strength too. The lather was very creamy and slick too...awesome!
The shave with razor paired with the blade was very good. Previous initial use with this blade was not so good but this time it was crisply sharp, very smooth, and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs finish. Superb aftershaves especially with the matching Cavendish. Rating 10/10!
20210424_202158.jpg
20210425_105201.jpg

Sunday morning.

Vintage Soviet "Stolichnaya" 4/8 round point straight razor
Simpsons Eagle G1 pure badger brush
Erasmic soap
Vintage (1970s) Avon "Spicy" aftershave

I like the narrow blade on this one, but it's definitely more of a technical shave - I can get in under the nose more easily with a 7/8, which is counter-intuitive, but maybe the spine of the broader blade shoves the nostril out of the way. I'll get round to figuring out the trigonometry one day when I can be bothered.

Erasmic is a classic barber shop smell with something else going on in the background (grapefruit? Black pepper?). The bowl soap seems to make a lather itself, it's that easy. This is one (like the Palmolive stick) where I'd always see myself keeping a duplicate in reserve. Or two.

Found the "Avon April" thread yesterday (leaving it a bit late, I know) which reminded me I had around a quarter of a bottle of Spicy kicking around. Good match with the rest of today's selection.

I'll call it a "9" today.

Top Bottom