What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

From A to Z this is a winning combo right here. :thumbup:
Proraso Pre Shave White
Proraso White Soap
Yaqi Ferrari Tuxedo 26mm Brush
Gillette Flare Tip B2 Razor
PolSilver (3) Blade
WTG + XTG - did the job
Shave Nation Alum Stick
Proraso White After Shave Balm
From A to Z this is a winning combo right here. :thumbup:

I rate today's shave a 9.5/10, another great shave, not BBS but DFS. The Gillette '56 Super Speed is a smooth ride, and was manufactured during my birth year.

proxy.php

Sent from Banjo_Billy using Tapatalk

Doug, I had the same struggle with MWF recently as I tried to move heaven and earth to finally get it to work. Like you, I put water on it and closed the container for two days. When it was time to shave, I saw the same gel you did, and I put most of it right in my lather bowl, figuring that was the secret sauce. No dice. I'd tried MWF too many times every way I could think, so I finally demoted it to hand soap duty. Life's too short.
I have used it many times before and always had great results, but after having this experience plus the fact that there so many great soaps out there why would I ever use MWF again. Once bitten twice shy.

I'm curious, what do you think about the Nag Champa soap, as an Indian guy?
Nag Champa is an Indian incense sticks as you already know.

Against the common perception, we don't get many chance to get the real thing.
It is mostly exported as it's dollar value is good, due to it being a famous exotic item.

So, my nose is as eligible for finding different notes in Nag Champa as anybody else.

I get the notes of dried spice which are a bit heavy, pleasant notes of crushed dried flowers but no Frangipani (we have White and Red Frangipani trees at home, I know what they smell like) and Sandalwood maybe there but only as base notes.

There is no hint of ash, burnt smoke etc.
It is actually how I'd imagine an unburnt herbal incense stick would smell.

All in all, its notes are a bit weighty (?) and sort of uniquely pleasant to nose.

I'd consider it a Winter scent when our nose is looking for something complex and stable to smell, but due to cold spell not much is happening in Nature (scent wise).

I hope this will help you in getting some idea about the soap notes.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Doug, I had the same struggle with MWF recently as I tried to move heaven and earth to finally get it to work. Like you, I put water on it and closed the container for two days. When it was time to shave, I saw the same gel you did, and I put most of it right in my lather bowl, figuring that was the secret sauce. No dice. I'd tried MWF too many times every way I could think, so I finally demoted it to hand soap duty. Life's too short.
Same same. Same consistent effort, same funky gel, same poor results. I know the lads swear by this stuff, but mine went in the bin. Too short indeed.

Mon SE SOTD
Soap B&M Cheshire 1st Use👍👍👍
Brush Yaqi 24mm Heavy Metal Tuxedo
Razor GEM Clog Pruf👍👍👍
Blade GEM Stainless 14th Use👍👍👍
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
1st use of the soap sample and ohh boy...the scent is amazing even before lathering. Gorgeous and awesome good strength scent! The lather is beautifully creamy and slick too, and as usual, I made way too much...will keep it for the next day. Excellent soap this!! Will sure be on my list now!
Shave with razor paired with the well-used blade was fantastic! I strop the blade prior and wow...crisply smooth and so comfortable for 3passes, even for the usual problem area atg pass on chin & lips with this SE razor. Very close mostly bbs result previously never achieved with the razor. No weepers, creepers nor irritation. Excellent aftershave. Rating 10/10!
At this rate...I may not have to buy more GEM blades...hahaha
20210228_214921.jpg

20210301_075552.jpg

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRB Shavette
Blade: Bolzano Superinox Half Blade (D1)
Brush: Omega 31064 Boar
Cream :Old Spice Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Old Spice Original AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10

Very comfortable and nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Today's Head Shave :

Pre Shave: Clean & Clear Daily Wash
Razor: Merkur Futur (4.5)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Brush: Semogue 2020
Soap/Cream: Soap Commander Commitment
Post Shave: Alum, Soap Commander Commitment Splash / Balm

** One Pass ATG + Little Touch Ups
** No Nicks, No irritation, Zero Alum Feedback

Rating: 10+ 🤎

Muhle r41
BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
AOS sandalwood pre shave
AOS Oud shaving cream
Acne face wash then blackhead scrub
Cold rinse, alum block
Cold rinse, Proraso red aftershave

overall 9/10 DFS+
BIC blades are more sharp than I anticipated and it didn’t seem to drop at all on the first shave even after a couple passes. Proceeded with caution perhaps a bit too much so I had to touch up a couple of areas that I normally don’t.

TOBS Sandalwood
AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere
Blackland Dart
Perma Sharp (4th use)
TOBS Sandalwood AS

Score: 6/10

Struggling to get a comfortable shave with this razor irrespective of which angle I try. Finding that "sweetspot" normally just happens naturally but, alas, not in with the Dart. I've also noticed that the edges of the baseplate are pretty sharp so "riding the bar" hasn't worked for me either.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (13)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 10

Perfect shave yesterday morning on 2 days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No nicks, burning, or irritation. Blade is still going strong.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (brushless - applied by hand)
Soap: TOBS St. James Cream
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: WSP Bay Rum

Very good shave this morning. I failed to do the "feel-a-round" test at the end and ended up with a minor stubble patch on the outer-lower right side of my neck...DOH! Took a half a point off. For whatever reason that has been popping up on occassion. I have to rectify that situation. St. James is one of the products that I'm working on whittling down...so I've been using it more frequently than normal in my rotation. I have to say, the performance of TOBS creams is really top notch. A real pleasure to use. Decided to pair the citrus scent of the soap with some Bay Rum with a hint of lime in it. Works!

Happy Shaves!

Kit 20210301.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Inspired by Benzadmiral,
Gillette Travel 1965, K3 Head on a
1920's Gillette New Handle
Blade: Israeli Personna (1)
Brush: Omega 63170 Pure Badger 24mm
Bowl :Captain's Choice Copper

Soap: Oleo Soapworks Canard, ROUGERE
Cream: Proraso Vit E Blue

Post: Dickinson's Witch Hazel with peppermint and tea tree oils added,
Proraso Blue aftershave balm

An interesting shave. I was inspired by Benzadmiral's recent post of I think this same razor setup. I may be off though.
It wasn't a great shave despite my efforts but it was a pretty good one. I made a super lather applying cream onto the soap in the lather bowl. It was voluminous and very luxurious. I've experimented with other handle changes on different razors before and remember how amazed I was discovering the difference a handle can make.
I ended doing four passes and it was a very smooth and close shave.
9/10

Have a great day everyone [emoji2]
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Mon SE SOTD
Soap B&M Cheshire 1st Use[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Brush Yaqi 24mm Heavy Metal Tuxedo
Razor GEM Clog Pruf[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Blade GEM Stainless 14th Use[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Post & Aftershaves
Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
1st use of the soap sample and ohh boy...the scent is amazing even before lathering. Gorgeous and awesome good strength scent! The lather is beautifully creamy and slick too, and as usual, I made way too much...will keep it for the next day. Excellent soap this!! Will sure be on my list now!
Shave with razor paired with the well-used blade was fantastic! I strop the blade prior and wow...crisply smooth and so comfortable for 3passes, even for the usual problem area atg pass on chin & lips with this SE razor. Very close mostly bbs result previously never achieved with the razor. No weepers, creepers nor irritation. Excellent aftershave. Rating 10/10!
At this rate...I may not have to buy more GEM blades...hahaha
View attachment 1230083
View attachment 1230084
The 19mm socket stand is awesome!

Sent from Banjo_Billy using Tapatalk

Top Bottom