What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Daily Shave: 08 October 2020
DSCF2275.JPG

Prep: Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Soap: Viking Sandal Wood, using last of my rain water
Brush: Viking Badger
Blade: Gillette Nacet / Shave #1 / Shave #1
Passes: 2 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Rating: 9.0 DFS+ A nice 1st shave with a blade brand I haven’t used before. No stubble at all, a few nicks and one weeper. Didn’t shave yesterday—had to drive my wife to an early morning medical appointment; then lots of errands. Thus, I had 24-hour beard to remove.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR brushless shave soap Bay Rum scent
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit cream
Brush: Jequil & Corenveo Night Sky Tuxedo synthetic 24mm
Razor: Karve brass SB (plate B) w/ Charcoal Goods brass Torpedo handle
Blade: Kai SS (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum

This Karve has performed so well since I bought it. My new favorite razor. Still waiting for the Tibam brass handle to arrive. From the email I received yesterday, it may come this weekend. Until then I gave it the CG brass handle. Another DFS/BBS. No cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. Figured grapefruit and lime would be ok together. 🙂

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201008.jpg

Last edited:
48-hour beard

Gillette postwar fat-handle Tech/Feather blade (2)

Mix of PAA Atmotic and Stirling Noir & Bay Rum soaps

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

A superb shave today! Shower, a little PAA Atmotic as my pre-shave, then face-lathered from both tubs. I'm trying to use them up, for one thing, and now that I've discovered tallow soaps, the PAA is a little disappointing in making lather. WTG, pass one; ATG, pass two; XTG, pass three and cleanup. As usual with the combo of Tech and Feather, I get planed off without trouble or irritation. Verdict: 9.8.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
48-hour beard

Gillette postwar fat-handle Tech/Feather blade (2)

Mix of PAA Atmotic and Stirling Noir & Bay Rum soaps

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

A superb shave today! Shower, a little PAA Atmotic as my pre-shave, then face-lathered from both tubs. I'm trying to use them up, for one thing, and now that I've discovered tallow soaps, the PAA is a little disappointing in making lather. WTG, pass one; ATG, pass two; XTG, pass three and cleanup. As usual with the combo of Tech and Feather, I get planed off without trouble or irritation. Verdict: 9.8.

How is the scent on that PAA Atmotic?

How is the scent on that PAA Atmotic?
This is going to sound strange, but . . .

. . . it reminds me of women's makeup!

Now that is not a bad thing, understand. Mrs. Benzadmiral No. 2 was a makeup expert (her mother hustled Mary Kay products and they both used the stuff themselves to great effect), and a nice pancake makeup is a good scent for me.

The Atmotic worked well for me before I discovered tallow soaps, as I said. The problem right now may be that most of the tub is gone, and I have to lather the brush from the thick ring still left around the tub's bottom. Maybe my badger brush, which I usually used in the past with this soap, will work better than the APShaveCo synthetic. All sorts of variables.

Razor: Razorock Mamba 53
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-shave oil unscented
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving Soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.75
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very close. Very smooth.
Results the same as last shave.

Rating: 9.875/10

Another above average shave with a blade I never could get along with. STIRLING Arkadia was the scent today, and a fine one at that.

While I had 3 red dots I touched the pencil to just to make sure they went away and didn't scab. I don't blame the shave for those. Long story. I will still dock a small amount for that because I think if I have blood and had a razor in my hand it counts too.

8.3/10

KM

PXL_20201008_113351435~3.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, OCT 8th 2020

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84- MFG 2018> Excellent razor for me with a KAI SS blade.
Blade: KAI SS :001_wub: (6) Excellent blade, Sharp & smooth, extra wide by .009" than a standard blade.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- great citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft 24mm- closest synthetic to my Omega boar brush + soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aoe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG+ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Amici A.S. with witch Hazel +a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS, + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Excellent shave with my RR GC.84 with a KAI SS blade.

DE SOTD, Oct 8th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: 7 O'clock SS (3)
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Old Spice

My best lather yet with Stirling. I think I had enough slickness to go ATG, something I avoid at all costs. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

For whatever reason getting over this "hump" of not using enough water is ridiculous, but difficult for me, but I'm slowly learning not to be stingy with water. It's paying off. Had some bad experiences with bad soaps in the past and dissipating lather but I need to keep reminding myself I'm not using bad soaps anymore.

Face feels great, no cuts, and the aftershave didn't burn at all. Can't complain.

9/10

Razor: G.E. Jones Shake Sharp
Blade: Treet Classic carbon steel (2)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Karma (synthetic) 25mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Barrister and Mann: Seville (Excelsior Base)
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann -Seville
B0A4659D-FA99-4046-B318-5533FE60687E.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10—5 = 5/10
I’m All Shook Up!!!
Handyman was in replacing my caved in bathroom ceiling so I’m three days unshaved. All my shelving and shave gear has been pulled down and dumped into boxes so I kinda grabbed what I could for this shave. Pretty good grab too.

One of the smoothest shaving razors ever made, the Shake Sharp is a single edge razor that takes a double edge blade. I’m using a carbon blade to utilize its self sharpening abilities by shaking the razor back and forth.

The shave was smoothly cruising along to an easy perfect 10/10 BBS when disaster struck! For some reason my razor stopped dead just under the corner of my mouth, like a plow running into a stump. I don’t know what caused it, but I do remember feeling a bit of bump/blemish under my stubble this morning. Anyway, this is not a nick! I actually have a hanging flap of skin. I’ll be detouring around this area for a few shaves.

Other than that inexplicable boo boo, this was a really enjoyable shave. Wonderful post shave feel. The Seville lather was exemplary and soooooooo nice smelling. Lemon doesn’t work well with my skins PH, but oranges are just dandy.

I hope to get my shelving and shaving gear put back up tomorrow.

Be Good ... Be Safe

I SHAVED WITH A DUD BLADE! (all caps, screaming)

I thought i would try out my new Proraso shavette. I installed a Personna Platinum Israeli blade and used Tomb 45 gel. This thing dragged and tugged and scraped. No nicks or cuts, but the worst shave ever. I did not think there could be anything wrong with the new Proraso shavette,so I dumped the blade. I installed a Russian Voskhod and was right back to silky smoothness!

I'll try another Personna Israeli on some future day. The blade I used must have been the last blade manufactured right before the weekend.

8.75/10. Gamechanger vs 6c showdown carries on....

Pre: Shower, Shaveology
Brush: Viking White Knight
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Razor: Gamechanger .68
Blade: Astra SP (3)

More nicks this time. Decent shave but the last one was smoother and closer. Entering final rounds....

shave.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pre. Hot water splashed on face
Soap. Pre de Provence
Brush. Kent BK4
Razor. EJ DE89B
Blade. Crystal (16)
Aftershave. 4711 cologne

9.5/10

Yesterday a 10 second loading of TOBS sandalwood gave me enough for a three pass BBS shave despite the advancing age of the blade. Today I deducted a full half point from perfection because the PdP required loading for each pass, but it was still an extremely comfortable BBS shave. I am a happy guy.

Today’s shave- October 8th- 9/10- CCS- A nice one-pass shave, smooth, close and comfortable!

Razor: Gem MMFW
Blade: Gem PTFE (6)- blade is starting to tug a bit
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 1 Best
Soap: Arko Stick- lots of lather
AS: Fine American Blend- I'm really enjoying this aftershave!

Keep your shaves smooth and keep safe!

PXL_20201008_152637736.jpg

Top Bottom