What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Good Morning. I stumbled through a few bad shaves and today was a GREAT d@mned shave. I used the clay facial bar but sparingly and really didn't let it stay on my skin long. The Stirling soap was great. Shave #3 on this blade and 3 and 4 are always so awesome. I have to pull to find stubble. A rare +9 shave for my "one bite" shaving rating.

9.3/10

KM

IMG_20200527_055802.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: GSB (1)
Brush: Omega 20102 Boar
Cream: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter (first use)
AS: Pinaud Clubman
Result: 2 pass WTG/ATG (2 WTG on neck) for a really nice smooth shave. I’d call it a DFS minus, it was my first shave with the CC Nor’Easter that I won in the contest and for me GSB is always better after the first shave. I’ll be using the CC Nor’Easter for the rest of the week; initial impressions = Me Like!
Have a great day.
Tim
CA9C1254-7CDE-4A46-BEED-255AFD7CB493.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Wed, May 27th 2020

Razor : Star bar#4 lather catcher (Kampfee brothers NY) -Mfg 1919, excellent lather catcher and uses Gem blades.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) great blade IMO for a SE.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Foire- great scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm- One of better synthetics back 3 1/2 years ago.
Pre-Shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post: AVON true gent with witch Hazel + AVON true gent balm. - very nice balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + 1 tiny chin weeper= :a17: excellent shave with my Star bar lather catcher.

SOTD,Wed  May27th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Above The Tie (ATT): M1
Blade: Cloud Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Superfine Two-Band Badger 22mm
Lather: Barrister and Mann Reserve: Cool
Aftershave Splash: Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool

Additional Care:
Brickell Clarifying Gel Face Cleanser
Brickell Face Scrub
Thayers: Witch Hazel Lavender Toner
Hyaluronic Acid

7B724DB0-4799-47F1-8B0D-1E738880D916.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9/10
Gentle as a Lamb
My second shave with this razor and I’m beginning to think it’s impossible to hurt, nick or irritate your face in any way with this ATT M1. In spite of its mildness, the M1 gives me an effortless BBS every time. I seem to be able to drag this razor all over my face in any which way and achieve a BBS with zero irritation. I suppose a good soap helps too. I’m going to keep trying different blades in this razor.
I am now on day five of my cold turkey cigarette cessation. Last night I could feel that monkey’s fowl breath on my neck.

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Art of Shaving Sandalwood & Cypress cologne
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
L'Occitane Cedrat balm
Pinaud Finest powder
10!
PSX_20200512_172110.jpg

Razor: RR GC JAWS 84 / HD
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (0)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: Arko
Result: 10/10

I've been very lucky with trying new blades lately! As much as I enjoyed my first 3 shaves with the Gillette Nacet, the Wilkinson Sword felt even sharper, making my tough areas much easier to cut through with less repeated strokes in certain areas. The Wilkie was perhaps just a tad less smooth than the Nacet, but it was of no concern at all during or after the shave. The result was a super close DFS with zero redness or irritation whatsoever, while feeling easy and comfortable at the same time.

Loving the Arko/synthetic brush combo as well. A barely visible layer of Arko gives me plenty of lather for 2+ passes while using minimal product and not dealing with any post-shave dryness whatsoever. Arko was drying for me in the early days when I was overloading all my soaps. I'm so glad to have dialed in the Arko, it's a little funky but just works so well for the price and I love the form factor of a shave stick. So simple, so compact, so clean.

A couple squirts of Burberry Brit to finish off a perfect shave. Most excellent of shave days!

IMG_0259.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200527
20200527_143256~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech, RazoRock Ti Halo Handle
Blade: Kai (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey w/Shavemac 24mm 3-Band Silvertip
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Post-shave: DSA Crystal Alum
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, weepers, cuts or irritation.

The Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech was my first "non-standard" Tech. Mellow, efficient, a pleasure to use. The RazoRock Ti Halo Handle matches up nicely. Good balance. The Kai blade is an excellent match.

Very synergistic combination and a pleasure to use. :)

YMMV. :)

Razor: Gillette New Long Comb bar handle, gold plated, circa early 1930s.
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 9.75

First shave ever with a New LC. Easy BBS shave this morning with no irritation and no nicks on a day and a half of growth. Like my Old Type, this inexpensive razor makes me feel silly for having accumulated so many DE razors over the years. The New LC is even easier to use (very forgiving of shave angle), nearly as efficient, and gentler than the Old Type. I am deducting a quarter point because I missed a spot on my left jawline and have a little stubble ten hours after shaving.

Almost forgot...

E5E79AEF-19CD-469C-A056-713A94AD8468.jpeg

Pre: Shower, Boots’ Cucumber Facial Wash & Cucumber Facial Scrub
Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: King C Gillette (I’ve never tried a Gillette Platinum so if these are repackaged Platinums then they get a :thumbup1: from me)

Brush: Semogue 830
Cream: Cyril Salter - French Vetiver
Post: Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree & Menthol aftershave balm

Cold water shave as it was a humid evening and I’d not long come home from a 6km evening walk. Overall I really enjoyed shaving with the King C. Didn’t find it a slippery customer despite making sure my hands were wetter than usual as a test. It’s just below medium for aggression for me. Got some good audio feedback during the shave. I’ll definitely be using it again.

10/10

Thu 28th SOTD
Soap Arko
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Gillette Red Tip
Blade Euromax Platinum 3rd
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid + Aqua Velva Musk
Always a nice lather from Arko. Really slick. What a scent...1
Shave with razor and blade was comfortable...too comfortable and tempted me to be aggressive under jawline and results in some weepers. 3 multiple passes and between BBS and DFS with 8/10 rating.
20200528_073843.jpg

9/10 - BBS. A couple nicks with this aggressive razor.
Razor: Fendrihan Stainless Steel Gold head
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp (1)
Brush: 22mm RR Plissoft Disruptor
Pre-Shave: Proraso green pre-shave
Lather: Proraso Sandalwood shaving cream
Aftershave: Proraso Green lotion
/ L'Oréal Men Expert Sandalwood AS balm
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200527_082240.jpg

Merkur 37C + US Personna Blue (3)
No issues. No irritation.
Pleasant and close shave.

Rating: 9.7/10

Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Preshave with Eucalyptus Oil and Menthol
Lather: Proraso Green Refreshing and Toning Shaving Soap with eucalyptus oil and menthol + Cremo Original

Top Bottom