What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: New-to-me Gillette Old Type
Blade: Personna Platinum
Brush: Geo. F Trumper Pure Badger (returned from the ether!)
Cream: TOBS Rose
Aftershave: Geo F. Trumper Extract of Limes Skin Food

8.5/10 No nicks but a bit of irritation and not quite BBS. Blade might be a bit aggressive for this razor. Not bad for my first experience with a pre-war razor though. Fun!

20210422_201803.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
PreProraso Red pre shave, Italy 🇮🇹
Soap
P&B Imperial Rum, UK 🇬🇧
Brush
Yaqi Sagrada, China 🇨🇳
Razor
Gamechanger .84, Canada 🇨🇦
Blade
Nacet, Russia 🇷🇺
Aftershave
Proraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹, P&B Imperial Rum balm UK 🇬🇧
Fragrance
Tom Ford Fabulous , USA 🇺🇸
Rating
9/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Fri 23rd SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue
Razor Game Changer.84-P SB
Blade Gillette Silver Blue 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Wonderful lather from this excellent soap. A beautiful scent + thick creamy & slick lather!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was good. Smooth, comfortable, and enjoyable in 3passes without any issues for a mostly bbs finish. Enjoyed the aftershaves too! Rating 9.8/10
20210422_202041.jpg
20210423_080938.jpg

Prep : Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 Blade (D5)
Brush: Semogue SOC Boar
Soap : Stirling Eucalyptus and Mint Soap
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + FA AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10 :pipe:

This blade is amazing. Even after 5 shaves of 3 passes each, it's still as sharp and smooth as a new one :straight:

A very close, comfortable and effortless BBS in 2.5 passes ! :001_wub:

Soap/Cream: Wilkinson puck (blue tub)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Mühle (3rd)
AS: cold rinse; Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.

2 passes, excellent shave.
Back to regular excellent shaves.

Still not sure what most of you actually are rating. The experience or the result. The result in terms of smoothness or feeling or lack of blood.
For me, it would be the sum of all the above. A nice experience with a lousy result or the other way around both are not okay. Only BBS is no personal target. I'm totally fine with CCS.

So, this shave would get an 8.5

Soap/Cream: Wilkinson puck (blue tub)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Mühle (3rd)
AS: cold rinse; Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.

2 passes, excellent shave.
Back to regular excellent shaves.

Still not sure what most of you actually are rating. The experience or the result. The result in terms of smoothness or feeling or lack of blood.
For me, it would be the sum of all the above. A nice experience with a lousy result or the other way around both are not okay. Only BBS is no personal target. I'm totally fine with CCS.

So, this shave would get an 8.5
My daily rating reflects a combination of the result in closeness, whether the shave reached all the areas of my face well, the experience as to comfort during the shave, and the face feeling I get when finished.

23 April 2021
20210423_060740.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S
Van der Hagen √
Cream Of The Day:
Razor Rock Saturnia
Old Spice Original
Old Spice Musk
Proraso Green √
Brush For The Shave:
Omega 11126
Gray Dog √
Blade For The Shave:
Shark Shave #1
Passes:
WTG and then ATG (light chin buffing)
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Old Spice
Rating:
9.9 BBS A nice shave with no significant stubble, and no nicks or weepers. I dinged myself for minor chin stubble. Busy day ahead with Ikea delivering some furniture kits, having the central A/C systems checked out for the coming summer, and preparing for possible severe storms this afternoon / evening. Maybe I can harvest some rain water for tomorrow’s shave.

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - German (7)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender (shave stick)
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 9.8/10 - Fell back asleep after turning the alarm off, so this was a quick and dirty shave! Still got good results, though.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Brush: Maggards synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Timor SS (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Another fantastic shave with the Lupo loaded up with a Timor SS...shave #2. I don't think it will be getting any better for me, comrades. PIF coming in the next couple of days. Can't thank the members here enough. Ghost Town Barber and Bootlegger's Bay Rum...sounds like a Western with smugglers.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210423.jpg

Cool, Becoming Sunny Friday Shave:

Fatip OC Slant Piccolo
Silver Star (3)
Soap cocktail: Haslinger Schafmilch stick + Proraso Red
Semogue 610 boar brush
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Pereja Limon Kolonya
RR American Barber aftershave

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Man Rescued from Bathroom
By Justin Funn
April 23, 2021 at 8:05 a.m. EDT

Emergency Services were called to the home of a Virginia man trapped in his bathroom by a massive mound of shaving lather, officials said.

The resident evidently created an unintentional lather explosion by mixing two different shaving products. Fire Chief R. U. Kidding said the man was rescued using shovels to clear the doorway. A life ring was then used to extract the resident, who was totally immobilized by the foam. The man was unharmed.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar shaving cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Dry Erase Ultra-Calming Face Cream

Tools
- Parker 26c
- Astra SP (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
Another solid performance by the T&H Trafalgar samples today and I am enjoying the scent of Trafalgar, especially with the sun out.
Second shave using this razor/blade combo. I ended up with some next day irritation and ingrowns they day after my last shave I think is due to the milder Astra pulling instead of cutting the hairs. The Astra seemed to be sharper today and perform better with no additional irritation appearing after the shave but some more feedback from the alum so I'll wait what irritation is still to come!
Overall a the shave itself was pleasant with no obvious additional irritation, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if any appears or if the pre-existing irritation gets worse.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, April 22nd 2021

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant-Mfg 2016>, excellent razor, got my first true BBS with this razor, very efficient for a mid range.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP(Black)(5) excellent blade, Sharp& Smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea croap- very interesting scent, excellent lather qualities + good post shave!
Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips + great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR German37 slant with a Gillette 7oClock SP.

DE SOTD, April 22nd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
Shavemac 28mm Syn
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
UK Aristocrat
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10.
Comments
A nice combo of the Shavemac and Tabac. This is one nice synthetic – and I am not a big fan of synthetics. A wonderful, smooth shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Fri, April 23rd,2021

Razor: Kai AC style folding Shavette-Mfg 2018> great well made zamac razor, I like the folding type AC for the different positions to manipulate the blade.
Blade: Kai Protouch guarded (5)- excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, favorite blade with this razor.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, really enjoy this scent, excellent lather qualities. Great post shave Feel.
Brush: Yaqi red Zebra handle 26mm knot :001_wub: Excellent lather generator, Heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups. WTG + 2X ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Kai style AC folding Shavette with a Kai Protouch guarded blade.

SE SOTD, Fri, April 23rd 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Friday's one-pass SAS, Socially Acceptable Shave, no mishaps at all, 8+/10. Finishing up my pretend work week of quick one-pass shaves; I wish I had the same skill level early in my career. My one pass today was a combination pass of WTG and XTG. Careful stretching resulted in a nice outcome. Tomorrow it's back to my regular multi-pass shaves- yay!

Pre-shave: shower with Nivea hydrating body wash
Razor: Occam's OREN- two-dot head
Blade: Feather Pro (2)
Brush: Semogue SOC boar cherry wood handle- nice handle shape on these brushes.
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- fine quality, simple soap; excellent post-shave face feel.
Post-shave: cold rinse, Pinaud Clubman AS for Friday.

Stay well and have a wonderful weekend!
PXL_20210423_141636528.jpg

Top Bottom