What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Prep : Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Feather ProGuard Blade (D9)
Brush: Custom Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Soap : Tabac Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + FA AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10

This blade is simply amazing. Even after 9 shaves of 3 passes each, this blade is very very sharp and smooth ! Don't know how many more shaves this blade is going to provide :pipe:

Very close, comfortable and effortless BBS in 2.5 passes !:straight:

Easter Monday

P&B Spitfire
Simpson M7
Timeless SS 0.95
Personna Platinum German
T&H 1805

An excellent shave!

XT030769.jpg

Holiday Monday morning.

Ralf Aust 5/8 square point straight razor
Semogue Pharos black horse brush
Edwin Jagger "Sandalwood" soap
Marks and Spencer "Woodspice" (amber) aftershave

There's something about the Aust razors - I've said it before, and at the risk of boring everyone I'll probably say it again. This is the low range version with black plastic scales, but there's a general feel of quality to it.

Realised last night that I could - and probably should - do a quadruped of quadrupeds with the brushes over the long weekend : horse, badger, boar, synth (okay - I'm defining a synth as a quadruped, like some kind of robot dog maybe. Bear with me on that one. [There you go - bear : that's got four legs...]). Each have their own character - if someone was to ask what I preferred I'd say somewhere between the one I used that morning and the one I was looking forward to using the next day. I'm awkward like that.

I was going to go with Erasmic soap this morning, but the day felt more like Jagger Sandalwood. No idea why, but it seemed right.

Definitely feels like a "10" this morning.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's aluminium base plate and ball end tech
- Israeli Red (1)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
First ever shave with my 50's aluminium base plate and ball end tech paired with a fresh Israeli Red. This razor is very light (even lighter than my aluminum handle sportsman's tech) but shave's quite nicely with a sharp blade. Planning on shaving with the Israeli Red in it this week then the new German version next week and possibly (unless I fancy a change or razor) a Satinex 2000 Platinum Plus to see if I can tell any difference between then (the Satinex 2000 Platinum Plus is supposedly a rebranded Israeli Red)
Second shave with my Semogue SOC Taj Boar. It still has that new boar stritch and ability to make lather disappear so using twice as much cream as normal! I've been bowl lathers and letting it dry on days I'm not shaving to help break it in so hoping that helps cut down the break in period.
Overall a pleasant Monday morning shave with no irritation or feedback from the Alum block which was needed after getting caught in an April snow storm walking the dog this morning!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet shaving cream

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's aluminium base plate and ball end tech
- Israeli Red (1)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
First ever shave with my 50's aluminium base plate and ball end tech paired with a fresh Israeli Red. This razor is very light (even lighter than my aluminum handle sportsman's tech) but shave's quite nicely with a sharp blade. Planning on shaving with the Israeli Red in it this week then the new German version next week and possibly (unless I fancy a change or razor) a Satinex 2000 Platinum Plus to see if I can tell any difference between then (the Satinex 2000 Platinum Plus is supposedly a rebranded Israeli Red)
Second shave with my Semogue SOC Taj Boar. It still has that new boar stritch and ability to make lather disappear so using twice as much cream as normal! I've been bowl lathers and letting it dry on days I'm not shaving to help break it in so hoping that helps cut down the break in period.
Overall a pleasant Monday morning shave with no irritation or feedback from the Alum block which was needed after getting caught in an April snow storm walking the dog this morning!

The weather caught me out this morning, too. Snow showers as far down as the Midlands. Wasn't expecting that.

Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Monday 5th April 2021

Shave Score 9.95/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing PreShave Cream
Cream: Trumpers -Lime
Brush: Yaqi 24mm - Purple Haze
Razor: RazoRock GameChanger .84 SB
Blade: BIC - Chrome Platinum (1)
Post Shave ASL: Figaro - Ambra
Post Shave Balm: Barts Balms Ben Cruachan - (Lime Essential Oil)
Post Shave Cologne: Geoffrey Beene - Bowling Green

First time out with a BIC blade, very slighty juddery on the ATG pass, but perfectly serviceable.

This BIC today has produced a real FFS/BBS shave, zero nicks and no razor burn.

Have a nice Easter Monday all.

Joe

EC073B14-A37C-4DB3-B0C3-BE6102B405BF.jpeg

Another 24-hour beard shave today; I decided this morning that I was still a bit too bristly to be seen in public by civilized people!

Gillette Super Speed from '53/Feather blade (4; it may be time to change)

Trumper's Almond cream

Semogue boar brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Still trying out the shave-before-shower routine, I washed my face and throat with Arko soap, then face-lathered with the Trumper's Almond. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, throat only, ATG/XTG. 'Tis clean and respectable I am again!

Verdict: 9.3.

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Merkur Platinum (1)
Brush: Omega 31156 Bononcini Boar ,25mm
Bowl: Timeless Razor lather bowl

Soap: Queen Charlotte Soaps, Vetiver

Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave splash

9/10
Second time within a week I had trouble building a good lather but ended up with a good shave anyway.
Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Razor: GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf - Peerless (brass)1945
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (4)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Green Handle Super Badger Fan (24mm)
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Green Tea Foam Cleanser
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Skin EX (Toner)
Additional Care:
Innisfree - Green Tea Balancing Lotion EX
DB90538C-8284-4393-8F9F-386CDF876647.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Going Green...Face Pampering Day
When I say “pamper my face”, I mean that less is more. Sometime all that healthy “face food”, natural oils and butters etc. incorporated into shaving products can be a little more than my face actually wants or needs. I understand these factors are all conditional on skin type. Some faces will thrive and improve with these supplements, some not so much.
Some products can tend to make my skin shiny and trigger sebum production, so I try not to overdo the hard core moisturizing. I’ve been really happy with the green tea products I’ve been using, and this unscented soap that only has six ingredients.
Sorry. I’ve been kind of off topic rambling. My shave with the Clog Pruf went just fine. Quite an improvement over my last MMOC shave. I did noticed that this Peerless Clog Pruf gave very audible feedback which allowed me to get the razor as flat as I can and still hear it doing it’s job.
I got my BBS and my face is nice and smooth, but I’m still having my suspicions that this GEM PTFE might not have started off with the factory edge I’ve come to be used to. It’s either that or my switching between DE and SE is skewing my perception.
Anyway, I’m smooth and my skin feels soft with a nice matte finish.

1617629373435.jpeg

Brush: Wolf Whiskers / 24mm Declaration Grooming B11
Soap: Ariana & Evans - Amber Rose
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .84
Blade: Voskhod

9/10: I have really grown to appreciate this brush and knot, which may sound silly since it was obviously put together to be a winner. It’s just really well-balanced. Today’s shave might have been better if I’d not over shaved a bit. I got a bit comfortable.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Cremo Bourbon Vanilla shave cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Old Spice cream (in a tube)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft "BEEHIVE" Synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72 w/WCS SS handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Lemon-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Stirling Triumph

An excellent shave, DFS/BBS, four-pass with touch-ups. No blood or injuries to report. The new WCS/CG SS handle felt great in my hand, good grip on the knurl, and it reduced the overall weight in comparison to the other handles I had used with the RR Lupo SS. The top of the handle easily fit the cut out for the bottom of the Lupo head whcih I was happy about. I think this handle was designed by Charcoal Goods for West Coast Shaving. This was the longest model they offered, four inches, and yet it was lighter than the other stainless steel handles I'd used. It is a bit thinner than the other handles I'd used on the Lupo, but even the width felt better in my hand. The finish on the handle doesn't match the Lupo head which is a polished finish, but that doesn't bother me. So...this was a good purchase. I have a TiBam titanium handle coming that should show up in another two or three weeks and that handle I'll either use on this razor or on the dual comb Lupo.

The lather from the Old Spice cream was adequate and worked fine. The Nacet blade was very good...seemed to me that it produced a bit more tactile and audible feedback, but it was not tuggy or dull at all and mowed through two days of growth with ease. Honestly, I like tactile and audible feedback, so this would be a blade I would use again in this razor for sure. Will be interesting to see how it performs tomorrow morning. So far, with the addition of the Nacet, I have three blades that work well in the Lupo.

As the weather is starting to warm up, I'm gravitating towards some of my aquatic aftershaves and soaps. This morning is Triumph splash which my wife likes very much. I prefer Stirling Deep Blue Sea to Triumph, but Triumph is also a nice scent. The Old Spice cream tube is about half empty now. I use too much every time I use it to speed up its demise. Nuff said there.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210405.jpg

Top Bottom