What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Le Grelot
MDC Original
Yaqi 24mm Violet Synth
Tony Miller Horween Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
Thayers Lavender
20210404_105705.jpg

be well all.

camo
Love the scales on the beautiful razor!!!

Relaxed, lengthy Sunday morning shave, BBS, 10/10- close, smooth, and simply delightful, no mishaps at all:

Pre-shave:
shower and face wash
Razors: Occam's Razor- two-dot guide
Blade: Feather Pro (2)-
the blade shaved great today
Brush: Vulfix 375 Silvertip- soft and nice, some might say a little floppy, but just right today!
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- I'm determined to wear some on this puck; seriously, I can just see the middle getting a very slight indentation, if I hold it up to the light just right. Today I loaded my damp brush for a full 30 seconds and face lathered away, adding water as needed- what amazing fun! Crushing on this soap, I ordered a puck to be sent to arrive in Brooklyn for my sojourn east this week.
Post-shave: cool rinse, then Floid The Genuine AS, this stuff is ideal for me. Nice classic scent, perfect level of light alcohol feel, and a little menthol.

Getting your lather perfectly thick, soft and slick, is indeed a marvelous trick. Happy shaves!

PXL_20210404_152443353.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-Shave Oil
- The Goodfellas' Smile Savage Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Dolce & Gabbana The One aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Special Edition (Gentile Head)
- Super Shave X Platinum (4)
- Omega 50014 travel brush

Shave Rating: 7.5/10
Just a single pass Sunday clean up today and my fourth and final shave with a Super Shave-X, another smooth shave but its definitely lacking in sharpness for this razor. After a great first shave, it's been downhill in terms of sharpness which is disappointing.
Overall an irritation free shave but not overly close.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1246276
No it is definitely a Yaqi synthetic cashmere. I can see why you could think boar though.
I have a yaqi cashmere 24mm with a black marble and use it as a dedicated brush daily for washing my whole face, excellent soft tipped knot and really enjoy it.
I think a lot of boar brushes(sterilized even) have a animal funk scent and it takes time 5 to 10 shaves to get rid of it. I just bought a Yaqi boar brush and will try a different method of cleaning and breaking it in.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, April 4th 2021

Razor: Schick injector championship theme series L type- Mfg 1976- Schick was a big sponser for the 1976 Montreal, Canada Olympics, mild injector. Easy to work the face and gives good results.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE injector(8) Great blade, very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Italian Barber Amici, nice grapefruit scent, excellent lather properties, very affordable.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft, kind of reminds me of my boar brush, cloud like soft tips, good scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Washed the face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3+ pickups. WTG + 2X ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Schick injector L type+ a Personna blade.

Sunday Schick shave April 4th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Gamechanger .84 Astra (1) PAA Astra,Simpson Duke 2,Thayers,Prorasso. 10/10.Hadn't shaved in 5 days looked like a tramp.Felt fantastic my daughter was coming up so had to smarten up.I'ts amazing how a hot shower and a shave makes you feel better.Take care everyone happy shaves.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday 20210403 (Yesterday's Shave)
20210404_000255.jpg

Razor: Personna "BBS-0" (Evgeny Koshelev (rusdrunkbear) Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai (5 and retired)
Brush: Simpson The Duke 2 in Best
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Tobacco
Moisturizer: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

Excellent shave! :cool:

Rating: 10 / 10 Fantastic shave
Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Gillette London Bridge (1)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Buffalo Valley” with 26mm V9 Fanchurian
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Post-shave:
Omega Alum Stick
Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Splash
Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Aftershave Balm

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
+ BBS! Close and smooth like my favourite Perma-Sharp Super
+ No cuts, irritation, redness, tugging or bumps / ingrowns
• Minimal feedback with alum
• 2 small weepers that went away with alum. Believe they were from the atrocious last shave with the Bic where I had dozens of weepers so no points deducted

View attachment 1246081
Nice brush my friend

8.5 / 10
I may have found the blade for my Merkur Futur.
Was in a hurry so I only did one pass and it was a smooth pass.

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium. This is it, this could be the blade I am looking for.
Cream: White Proraso
Aftershave: Nivea Cooling Balm.
I am sure it is, great blade

My Easter Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot 5/8​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso White Cream, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Pre de Provence - Bergamot & Thyme w/ Shea Butter​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave Balm: Pre de Provence - Bergamot & Thyme After Shave Balm w/ Shea Butter​
9.2/10 DFS!
  • No irritation!
  • A nice comfortable shave
  • A couple of nicks....

Micromatic Monday 5th SOTD
Cream Suezbana Aloe & Lavender
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 3rd (Stropped & was awesomely nice)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Very good lather from the cream today. Pleasant medium scent, thickly creamy and very slick...just beautiful!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was so smooth yet crisp, comfortable, and efficient. 3passes without issues for a mostly bbs result. The aftershaves were terrific! All in a very enjoyable session! Rating 9.8/10!
20210405_091500.jpg

- Brush: Thater 4125/4 (The Beast)
- Razor: Game Changer SB .68
- Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
- Soap: WK Iced Tea
- Aftershave: WK Iced Tea
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Another before bed shave. Excellent except for one nice Adam’s apple nick that was user error. I am getting to know the Game Changer and I think it will be in the regular rotation. It needs more attention than my 6S and Karve, but it performs great. Polsilvers match well with the .68 plate for me.

Iced Tea is another weird one from WK. I get lots of basil and a bit of citrus and mint. It is a nice scent but I wouldn’t guess it was iced tea. Quite a bit of menthol as well. Nice for summer as it is refreshing.

The 4125/4 is a beast. It is the biggest brush I own and it can hold a ton of water/lather. It is a better brush for creams than hard soaps but I just love this one.

9.5/10

3EA50A33-25AE-46AC-9183-665F8AA3DCC4.jpeg

Top Bottom