What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

- Prep: Hot washcloth
- Brush: Simpsons Classic Synthetic
- Razor: Merkur Progress
- Blade: Personna Barber (2)
- Soap: B&M Paganini’s Violin
- Aftershave: Paganini’s Violin balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Hyaluronic Acid

Nice evening shave. The Classic is the brush I love to hate and I didn’t mind it tonight. Smashed into a puck of soap and lathered with painting strokes, it wasn’t bad. It‘s not a $50 brush in any case.

Paganini’s Violin is one of my favorite scents of all time. More of a summer scent but so fresh and clean smelling. First soap I bought duplicates of.

9.5/10

Prep: Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Parker SRX Shavette
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Indian Half Blade (D1)
Brush: Omega 31064
Cream : Godrej Sensitive Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + BRUT Original AS Lotion
Rating : 9.85/10

Very comfortable and nice BBS in 2.5 passes !

Rockwell 6S Matte Black and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva Musk.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Rockwell 6S Matte Black (R6, R5, R4, and R3)
Blade: Lord Platinum (4)
Brush: Zenith S series
AS: Aqua Velva Musk
Rating: 9.6/10

Monday is upon us. Make it Musky and fantastic!
[IMG]

[IMG]

Today I tried another shave stick for the 1st time, and like Arko, 1st impression wasn't that great.

I applied the stick generously, spent some time face lathering and lather turned out to be shiny, and visibly slick, but it lacked protection.

I got a smooth and close Shave, perhaps too close.
Smell is typical soap smell, it doesn't offends but doesn't attract as well.

Rating : 6.5/10

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Brush : Pearl 22 mm Long handle
Stick : La Toja
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp (green)
Aftershave : Alum rub and Anherb ASC.

Alum rub made me realise that there was minimal protection in today's shave and I'll have to work on La Toja.

Edit : @SharpieB on first impression, it seems you were correct in assuming that La Toja doesn't match the slickness of Arko.

I'll have to use it again, but even if I compare my first experience with Arko when it didn't lather and then gave me a runny lather, it was a lot better than La Toja.

IMG_20210125_152344.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Mamba 70
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio + Neutrogena Sensitive Shave Skin Cream for men
Aftershave: Cold water rinses

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Overall rank: 10/10

Very good shave. Very close, smooth and pleasant shave.

YMMV

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10 (Another like an 11 type of a 10)
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum shave soap
Soap: PAA Classico Bay Rum
Brush: RazoRock Beehive synthetic (Big Orange!)
Razor: Timeless SS SB .68 w/scalloped head & base
Blade: Kai SS (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Cat-o-Nine Tails Bay Rum

I shaved on Saturday, but did not have a chance to post. I did not shave yesterday...busy weekend. So I had some extra growth this morning. The Timeless always shames me, especially since I found the Kai SS. It's like after the shave and Witch Hazel I feel my face and the Timeless says, "Why aren't you using me more often?" One of the best shaves I have ever accomplished. DFS/BBS face and neck. Bay Rum had to be in this equation. I am really enjoying PAA's soaps the last several months.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210125.jpg

Today I tried another shave stick for the 1st time, and like Arko, 1st impression wasn't that great.

I applied the stick generously, spent some time face lathering and lather turned out to be shiny, and visibly slick, but it lacked protection.

I got a smooth and close Shave, perhaps too close.
Smell is typical soap smell, it doesn't offends but doesn't attract as well.

Rating : 6.5/10

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Brush : Pearl 22 mm Long handle
Stick : La Toja
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp (green)
Aftershave : Alum rub and Anherb ASC.

Alum rub made me realise that there was minimal protection in today's shave and I'll have to work on La Toja.

Edit : @SharpieB on first impression, it seems you were correct in assuming that La Toja doesn't match the slickness of Arko.

I'll have to use it again, but even if I compare my first experience with Arko when it didn't lather and then gave me a runny lather, it was a lot better than La Toja.

View attachment 1213196
La Toja is a hard shave stick. If you use it a few days in a row you will find it giving you better shaves. I find it works better for me when the soap softens.

25 January 2021
DSCF2420.JPG

Prep:
Pear Soap facewash using my old Omega 11126 brush
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using rain water)
Brush:
Gray Dog
Blade:
Shark Platinum Shave #3
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman √Bay Rum
Rating:
9.8 BBS A good shave with no stubble, one nick--clumsiness, but no weepers. Went back to a salsa bowl for lathering. The soup mug was to tight at the neck to allow me to whip my brush around. The enameled mug is now performing other duties.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Razor Timeless SS .68 Safety Bar
Blade Mysterious Kai (1)
Brush Yaqi Violet Blue Synthetic 24mm
Soap La Toja Stick
Tonic Lucky Tiger
A/S Pinaud Clubman

Shave 3 passes -BBS 9.5/10
First pass was XTG and smooth. No roughness at all. Second pass was XTG in the other direction. Also very smooth and comfortable. A quick feel with my fingers revealed a surprising increase in efficiency. To be honest I almost stopped right there with a CCS -DFS result There was a small amount of stubble left but much less than I normally find at this point in my shave. But I do enjoy a BBS shave so I did my typical ATG third pass. Again the shave felt very comfortable. A check at the time with my fingers told me I had BBS. I rinsed my face with cold water and towel dried it. I splashed on some Lucky Tiger and after a few minutes followed with the Clubman. There was some slight stinging in two spots where I had a little lingering irritation from the previous days shave. A check again 30 minutes later on dry skin revealed a tiny bit of stubble in one spot that remained, spoiling a perfect BBS. My thoughts after this first shave are that there was a noticeable increase in efficiency as I normally do 4 passes or 3 passes with enough touchups to qualify as 4 passes to get to BBS. I have old man tough gray whiskers. I am really interested to see if this perceived increase in efficiency holds up through the test.

View attachment 1212922

The world has definitely turned for you! I had a shave this morning with my Timeless that was amazing...Timeless .68 with a Kai SS. For me...it's coming down to my Timeless and my Karve OC as my daily drivers.

Top Bottom