What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Slantember shave #10
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very close. As close to BBS as I want to get. Very pleasant shave.
Using this combo for 3 weeks or so maybe worthwhile.

Rating: 9.8/10

The tale of what should have been a fine shave, but wasn't!

48-hour beard

Vintage Hoffritz Slant razor with a new Rockwell blade (more on this in a moment)

La Toja stick

APShaveCo synth brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Showered, a little La Toja as pre-shave, then I face-lathered and applied the razor after my usual 3 minutes. And . . . at first I thought I had forgotten to change the blade in this razor at the beginning of the month! A lot of blade feel, a sense that the blade was not so much slicing as chopping at the bristles . . . After my first pass I rinsed off and opened the razor to check the blade. I distinctly remembered changing it after the last time I used the Hoffritz, so it was not old.

I relathered and did my second pass on cheeks and throat, a little better since the bristles were lower now, and a third pass on throat alone. My splash of Clubman Special Reserve did not burn more than usual; the lotion and powder have taken away any other hint of irritation. Near BBS, yes, but the experience was not that pleasant. My usual feeling with this razor when it has a Personna Red or a Rapira in it is, "Wow, that was good." Not this time. Verdict: 8.8.

Gloomy Saturday Shave
Razor: Karve D plate
Blade: Personna med prep
Brush: My Amboyna Burl & Shavemac 2 Band ST
Soap: A&E
Soap spatula: Ancient Bog Oak
9.5 out of 10....Diggin' the way the Karve Drives
IMG_20200912_075440_625.jpg

Sat shave 1.jpg

It’s the weekend. Saturday’s shave starts off with GD Amare soap with a Bigelow Super Silvertip brush. This is one fine brush. Makes great lather and feels great on the face. The razor is the Wolfman WR2 SS SB 1.05 loaded with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade for the 5th shave. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Pinaud Clubman. At one time I liked these aftershave splashes but now prefer balms. However, being on the economical side I will use up the splashes! After a shower, some TOBS Sandalwood cologne ends the shave. A perfect 10/10 shave.

9/10. First shave with the Rockwell 6c. Very mice shave with the 3 plate. Gonna like this razor. Still struggling with nicks when I try to get ATG on my neck with some hair that grows horizontally- but I know that never works for me. Yet I keep trying :)

Pre: Shower, Stirling Coniferous shave oil
Brush: Razorock
Soap: Stirling Eucalyptus Mint
Razor: Rockwell 6c, plate 3
Blade: Astra SP
85C26E3C-9EB4-47DF-B744-B6D481D8A63B.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem Stainless (4)
Aftershave: Old Spice

1 nick on my neck, but oh well. Yesterdays lather with Proraso felt better, so I still need to build up my skill lathering up Stirling. I still haven't quite used it enough. Great post shave feel, and overall the end result was what I generally strive for. The blade actually seems to be improving, which is strange to me, but I'm still new to these Gem blades. Needless to say I'm a bit impressed by it. Nice shave.

8/10.
If these blades are coated, then as the coating wears off, the blade gets sharper. Your technique has to account for this.

Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem Stainless (4)
Aftershave: Old Spice

1 nick on my neck, but oh well. Yesterdays lather with Proraso felt better, so I still need to build up my skill lathering up Stirling. I still haven't quite used it enough. Great post shave feel, and overall the end result was what I generally strive for. The blade actually seems to be improving, which is strange to me, but I'm still new to these Gem blades. Needless to say I'm a bit impressed by it. Nice shave.

8/10.
I’m pretty fussy about blades and don’t try tostretch their lifespans. With Double Edge, I toss them after three shaves regardless. With these GEM blades I go ten shaves before changing. Even then, I could probably go more, but my ingrained blade tossing instincts wont let me go past ten.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SLANTember, Sat, Sept 12 2020- Razorock day it is!

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar- Mfg 2017, Light touch will give stellar results, Can bite if careless.
Blade: Personna Red- One of my favorites for slant razors, the blade is sharp and smooth.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore-Excellent soap both in Scent and Lather qualities, light tobacco with vanilla :001_wub: .
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm synthetic- Great brush and a favorite & has those soft tips.Will lather any soap well.
Pre Shave:Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 . WTG + ATG+ pickups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop Avon "True Gent"- great scent for a balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Great shave with my RR Wunderbar & Personna red blade.

DE SOTD, Sat, Sept 12 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pre: hot water
Soap: TOBS sandalwood
Brush: Kent BK4
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Crystal on day 7
After shave: last few drops of the 4711. Tomorrow being Sunday I think I'll try Guerlain Vetiver and crack open the new just of 4711 on Monday

10/10...this blade seems charmed.

20200831_171107.jpg

I'm in a blue mood this morning 🌄

Razor: Gillette 1956 B4 Blue Tip Super Speed
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Razor2: Schick 66 injector razor
Blade2: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson's Duke 3 Sapphire Special Edition in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Noble Otter Monarch
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Rating Ten
PSX_20200911_083611.jpg

Pre-shave:- Imperial Leather
Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware

Brush:- Ol’ Boots Bristle, must be 40 years old now

Soap/Cream:- Own brew Menthol and shaved soap stick

Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Merkur
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

No complaints 10/10​

2.jpg

Preshave: Lectric Shave
Razor: Rockwell 6C R4
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock Sharp Edge (2)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender
AS: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Witch Hazel / Osage Rub
Rating: 9.9/10

Tried plate 4 today on 48 hours of growth. To my surprise it was a great shave… figured it might not be as effective as R5. Despite the blade gap difference between the 2 plates it mowed through my growth with no problem.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday morning shave

Razor: Dorko 6/8
Brush: Boar
Soap: Tabac
A wonderful shave this morning. Dorko was my first straight, it’s been a 30 year journey. The old Col. Conk brush is a pleasure to use. Tabac is an overachiever. Old Spice seals the deal. Let’s get at it Saturday!
6A80207F-BB59-4F8D-B707-2888F61C7A9E.jpeg

9/10

Top Bottom