What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Carbon CX-316L Head) / Weber Classic Handle
Blade: ASTRA SP (1)
Brush: WCS Honeycomb Blue Synthetic
Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
Pre shave: NA
Aftershave: Stetson Cool Moisture
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.0/10 - DFS

Shave80120.jpg

Fist off I want to thank @BN 39 for loaning me this Carbon CX-316L head to try for a few shaves. I knew very little about this razor but was looking forward to trying it. Even though this razor has the 68mm baseplate it has positive blade exposure. Which turned into quite a bit of blade feel when compared to the Gamechanger.68 or Timeless TI.68.
In a way this razor reminded me of the Blackland Dart especially on my first pass. Blade feel for sure but also very efficient. I did my usual 3 pass shave, WTG/ATG/XTG. No issues shaving WTG or ATG while riding the cap. In fact It was very confortable ATG. What got me in trouble was going XTG while riding the cap. Right away I got a couple of nicks on my chin and some irritation on my neck. So I switched to riding the safety bar and got a better shave.
To me there is definitely a learning curve and it will take me a few shaves to get comfortable with it. Looking forward to it.

Today’s Pampering & Leisure Holiday shave - 8.5/10

Pre Shave
- Hot towel wrap/SPA on face followed by Pink Woolf Oudh & Sandalwood pre shave oil
Shaving Soap - Pink Woolf Oceanic Blue shaving soap
Shaving Brush - Hajamat Ash Wood handle synthetic shaving brush
Blade - Astra Superior Platinum (4th use)
Razor - Parker 89R
Aftershave - Alum block followed by Davidoff Cool Water aftershave balm

Today’s highlight was a sublime 15 minutes hot towel SPA on face before shaving. I love Sunday shaves because they give me ample time to pamper my skin. Unlike other days I shave post shower on Sundays and at times do take a hot towel spa to pamper myself!

The shave was good if not great today. Astra SP used on 4th use with an aggressive razor produced great results! Pink Woolf oceanic blue shaving soap always produces enormous & slick lather whether you do bowl or face lathering.

The shaving brush today really worked well on face lathering. The only reason I deducted 1.5 point is because I ended up with 2 minor nicks on neckline during third pass due to pressing the razor a little hard on skin. Otherwise the shave was pampering, relaxing and BBS!

So a 8.5/10 shave today.

Next shave on Tuesday morning will be a quick one with caution as will be shaving 2 consecutive days on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Thank you folks! 🙏🏽
D8E9BD52-89C0-4100-A991-660167EF4A8F.jpeg

9280DA2D-CA57-4062-AF64-2DB3F20BEB82.jpeg

Sun 2 Aug Island SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Ocean Grove
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade Elios Inoxidable 2nd
Aftershave Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fitting soap for the occasion. Acceptable lather, scent and slickness. Nice brush for face lathering.
Shave with razor and blade combo was very comfortable. Sharp and smooth. 3+1 multiple passes without any issues. Between bbs and dfs. Good aftershaves! 9.5/10 rating.
Side note: Really liking this blade...
20200802_173300.jpg

Camper shave today. I took along some of the most basic stuff in my den. A ball end tech, Personna Red blade. A Stirling synthetic brush with Stirling unscented soap with beeswax. Post shave was WH, Stirling Executive Man splash and EDT.

What was the product of this combo was another +9.0 shave. No blood. No irritation. I have a mole dead center on my upper lip, below the nose. One hair there. Some only known by feel stubble some 5 or 6 hours later.

A real banger of a shave. Best camper I have ever had.

9.5/10

KM

View attachment 1133583
I like the Tech. Not sure why many call it mild. I can get a closer shave with a Tech after a few days of stubble than I can get with a Merkur HD.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Barrister and Mann Waves
Brush: Barrister and Mann Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Parker Semi-Slant
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (3)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Stirling Deep Blue Sea

I like the way this slant shaves...but deep down, I'm still waiting to be nicked by it. The way it feels as it's working, the audible feedback. I like it and it also makes me uneasy. Maybe I need to just get used to it. The razor, with the Personna Red, shaves very well, I'll have to admit. For a $30 razor, you get a very close shave. No cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. Barrister and Mann Waves is a good protector. So much mariner/aquatic going on today, I decided to "Unleash the Kraken!" Can you spot another Kraken in the picture? Resolution may not be good enough.

Happy Shaves. Everyone!

Kit 20200802.jpg

Daily Shave: 02 August 2020

DSCF2196.JPG

Prep: Lectric Shave -- continues to yield great prep results.
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Gillette 7 O-Clock Green Blade #1 Shave #2 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe -- using rain water and Campbell’s soup container.
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 10.0 BBS An incredible shave this morning! No tugging, dragging, nicks, or weepers. The 7 O-clock Green Blades seem to work well with my razor unit.

Sunday shave 1.jpg

Sunday’s Shave

Today’s shave is with GD Mallard RC Soap. I am at the end of this soap. This time I am using my Paladin PK 47 brush – the first Paladin brush I got at the Sue Auction. The razor is Gillette Red Tip razor with a Lord SS blade. The aftershave is Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent.

A perfect 10 shave.

9.5 / 10 - Excellent BBS shave with the 2nd use of the Gladio razor
Razor: Goodfellas’ Smile OC Gladio razor
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Brush: 20mm Omega #11047 mixed brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and face wash
Lather: La Toja Selection Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Maol frosted Frankinlime AS
/ La Toja Hydrothermal Balm
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200731_131503.jpg

Razor: Schick Injector (E4)
Blade: Schick Injector (2)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Karma (synthetic) 25mm
Lather: Cella Crema da Barba
Aftershave: Stirling Glacial Obsidian (Splash)
2C24D446-17EB-4EB5-9366-B40EE617B4F8.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Grouchy Old Man Shave
I slept poorly and woke up to a rainy day that is not knocking out the humidity. I was totally ambivalent about even bothering to shave...so I cheated.
Yes I cheated! I’m sure there must be something in the wet shaving rule book that makes Schick Injector shaving unacceptable and scorned. How can anything that makes shaving so easy and efficient be reconciled by the nicked, scraped and weeping hordes going about their daily face skinning rituals.
In fact, I wasn’t even going to post this shave for fear that my wet shaving peer group might turn their backs on me and turn me out to fend for myself.
Well...what can I say but..."It’s only rock n roll but I like it"!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave,Aug 2nd 2020

Razor: Schick i2 type, Hydro Magic- Mfg 1954-57- very nice milder mid range for those days you just would like a DFS.
Blade: Personna injector: Very sharp and gets better for smoothness as you get up in # of shaves IMO.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- nice summer scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic Sagrada Familia- Excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash the whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock American barber with witch hazel + A tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Great shave with my i2 Schick injector today.

Sunday Schick shave, Aug2nd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
shave today, split into two razors

Parker CC head shaving

Yaqi Mellon face shaving

KAI

Nivea cream

Ace: Brutal

today, as before, I decided to shave into two razors, one used for shaving the head, the other for the face
I estimate the final effect at 8 ... Parker is effective, mellon less but with KAI gills it turned out well .. successful.

IMG_20200802_161636.jpg

Sunday Wild Rose Shave

3E44B2D7-BB74-4BB3-B3BC-B01776A5D082.jpeg

Mühle R41 - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (5) - Cyril Salter Wild Rose Cream - Semogue 830 - Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

A very enjoyable shave. I made slightly too much cream but no matter as the remainder made a nice post shave face wash.
The Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades (Indian) seem to be a very smooth pairing with the R41 on my skin.
Happy to award this shave a
10/10.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Nuage for men Menthol Pre-Shave Oil.
- Proraso Green

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- L'Homme Cologne Cedrat Gel-Cream After Shave
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red (4)
- Omega 50014

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Fourth and final shave with this blade for a Sunday single pass shave. It still feels sharp and smooth, no irritation and no feedback from the Alum block. This blade is definitely at the top of my list with just two blades from the sampler pack to go. BIC Chrome Platinum up next week which seems to be a bit of a marmite blade.

Razor: Schick I2 Hydro-Magic Injector Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10
20200801_075229.jpg

Razor- Mach 3 (#1) - (finishing up a 2 pack of carts I bought just before I started wet shaving)
Cream- Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather
Brush- Simpson Chubby 2 synth
Bowl- Fine
AS- Nivea sensitive skin balm
Cologne- GFT Spanish Leather

2 pass (wtg) on 2 days growth

Rating- 9.5

The Chubby 2 is fast becoming a favorite, top tier brush, right along with my Omega 636 silvertip. It makes me want to assign my Yaqi Mysterious Space 26mm to desk duty as a keyboard brush for dusting.

Simpson recommends creating the lather with just the tips of the brush, and that's exactly how to get the best results. I love how dense this brush is, and I've become a painter rather than a swirler or splayer.

First pass was decent and I didn't apply any pressure like one normally does with a cart. 2cd pass was even better as I added drops of water to the brush which really helped with slickness and cushion. Again, no pressure applied, and my face was near BBS and irritation-free, no nicks or weepers.

Post-shave skin feel was smooth and moisturized, and the Nivea balm just melted into my skin.

Finished with a few spritzes of the GFT cologne. As I write this I'd go a bit heavier since the scent is very light. I'll be ordering the skin food as I love this scent and it has "signature" appeal. As I said it's light so pairing all 3 can hopefully carry the scent longer.

I squeezed a bit more cream than necessary, and after taking my time to build the lather my bowl was overflowing.

Top Bottom