What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The best thing about being retired is that I can spend two hours enjoying the prepping and shaving experience if I want to. I start off the day feeling good about myself.

+1 and an Amen! :thumbup:

My shaves are typically late afternoon or, if no afternoon time, evening before bed so I can take my time and enjoy the shave.

I'll be retired at the end of the year and will probably shift my shave time to mid/late morning.

3rd practice shave, final test before dispatching to other colleagues ...

shaving the head and face

Monocero Husaria OC

Wilkinson Super Sword England

Nivea cream made by hand

AS: cucumber fluid

I am after three shaves of the head and face with this newly created razor, I had the honor to test it officially as the first user, I will describe it simply and clearly ...
razor quite aggressive (and I like it) and most importantly effective ..... if you like it visually, it's a matter of taste ... where everyone has a different handle or stand ... good shave I'm happy with the end result and it's great that such a razor was created on a forum for enthusiasts of traditional shaving on their own initiative.
IMG_20200726_102054~3.jpg

Today's shave

Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (8)
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Albion (sample)
Brush: Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
AS: Pinaud Citrus Musk

Rating: 10/10

First time using Phoenix and Beau and really enjoyed the scent and lather from Albion. I'm finding this pairing of the Old Type and the Rapira Super Stainless to be a great match and delivered a BBS on shave 8 on this blade. Have a great Sunday!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200726
20200726_110612~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: A&E Kaizen
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid followed by a dollop of CeraVe cream
Aftershave: A&E Kaizen
Cologne: Gender 2BU EdT Spray (clone of CK be)

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

This combination works really well together. Each component is a top flight experience and a pleasure to use. Outstanding results.

Superb Single Edge Sunday shave! :)

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on whiskers​
Three Pass Shave: WTG, AGT, XTG​
Razor: Gillette 1947-51 Super Speed​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: ACRIMAX Badger Brush​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9/10 BBS! A couple of nicks. Some delayed irritation....

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sunday Morning

Razor: Rockwell R1
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Fendrihan Black and White Synthetic
Soap: L’Occitane Cade Shaving Cream
1FC5D6D5-347B-48CA-AEFC-4A3B1D629D79.jpeg

For a mild razor the R1 is still more aggressive than 34 and 38C Merkur as well as EJ DE89 in my opinion. I just prefer a really mild shave and felt more blade exposure albeit minimal with the R1. The Cade is just ok. I‘ve tried so many more cream/soaps on this journey that are so much superior that it’s almost disappointing to go back and use one of my earlier purchases. I know my preferences more now and Cade is not one of them. Still, it does a decent job. After shave splash is something new for me. The Clubman for a Sunday afternoon seems fine. Altogether an educational shave.
7/10

Today was time to dust off a boar brush.
First time with the soap.
Razor : supply se Razor v2, 2dots plate
Brush : Omega 83 boar
Preshave : Col conk original
Soap : Caties bubble Parma inspiration
Thayers witch Hazel
AS : Lucky tiger face tonic
To those that complains about having too many soaps, use BOAR brushes. I used double dose of the soap compared to synth and had barely enough for 3rd pass.
Those are soap/cream eaters but I enjoyed the brush.
9/10
IMG_20200726_182935.jpg

Saturday Evening SOTD
  • Pre: Hot shower, Clean & Clear Face Scrub, TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
  • Razor: Merkur 34G
  • Blade: Astra SP (3)
  • Brush: Yaqi Moka 26mm
  • Shaving Cream: TOBS Sandalwood, face lather
  • Aftershave: Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Score: 7.5/10 DFS w/ some irritation
    • WTG, XTG, ATG, one pass each with touch ups​
    • ATG was a big fail. I could feel the blade tug a bit under my chin, but I also wasn’t taking my time as much as I should have, so the technique could have been the cause for the irritation​
    • Few nicks under chin 🤦🏼‍♂️
    • Face lathered with the cream for the first time. First two passes were great, third pass (ATG) wasn’t the best. Not sure if blade was culprit or I got used to Cella and it’s slickness but something was off​
    • Looking forward to the next shave to right these wrongs I encountered this evening​
Well.

I’m an idiot. Now I’ll be the first to admit I’m still relatively new to wet shaving. I took it up not knowing a whole lot and resorted to learning on the fly.

Now after much reading, researching, looking at endless pictures, I just realized my first Suavecito brush... IS SYNTHETIC

No WONDER everything has been different for me after getting my Yaqi Moka Silvertip. I truly thought I was losing my mind with how different lathering was between the two brushes. And here we are. A revelation. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ And now that I look at the picture below, how could I have been so oblivious??

CF9506A0-C869-4748-8B07-F8B3736FD14B.jpeg

Rockwell plate 4
Lord Platinum (4)
Sterling tuxedo synthetic
Murphy and McNeil Trilogy Soap (old formula)
A&E Shave Serum post shave
Rating: 10

This was a fabulous shave. The scent of Trilogy is so good. It is there but not overbearing. I just love it.

The blade is working well. I had my doubts on shave 3 but shave 4 came to the rescue. It's ready for another shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Razor: Schone
Blade: Feather
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Lather: Hitton Donkey Milk

Rating: 9.0

Decided to place the blade (Feather) I used yesterday in the R41 into my Schone. Kind of a compare and contrast. The Muhle is known as a non tight clamper that exhibits blade chatter for some. The Schone which is a Fatip clampls the blade tightly and close to the edge and I don't think it chatters for anyone. The Schone lets blades that aren't sharp enough for a comfortable shave in the R41 shave comfortably. So I thought I'd try a blade that is sharp and smooth for me in the R41.

The Feather delivered another great shave today. It was smooth and maybe even a little more effortless than yesterday, but not as close as the R41. Nothing I've owned or tried has been.

The soap is one of those dissipating lather soaps, that leaves a slick residue that allows for a very close and comfortable shave. If you want or need cushion, you won't get it, but if you need slick, you've got it in spades. Tomorrow I will use another similar soap from France. After that I'll use a few creams and then Saturday is the big day. The kickoff of Arko August. Tomorrow, I think the Feather will go into the Carbon CX.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
No WONDER everything has been different for me after getting my Yaqi Moka Silvertip. I truly thought I was losing my mind with how different lathering was between the two brushes. And here we are. A revelation.
Synthetic and natural are far apart. I have examples of both types I like, but I only have naturals that get to a higher level than "like". Fibers that can absorb and hold on to water, that aren't springy, but yet give some backbone are the big difference for me.

So which do you prefer? To early to tell?

Mon 27 SOTD
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake Badger
Razor Parker Semi Slant
Blade Derby Usta 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman GentsGin
Outstanding scent in this soap. Lather was great...creamy and slick enough. Brush is excellent on face & especially the handle feels good in the hand.
Shave with the slant paired with the blade was sharpish, quite smooth and in general comfortable. Not as comfortable as the German 37 though. Somehow this Slant feels more aggressive...more blade feel around the lips area. 3+1 multiple passes for between bbs & dfs result. Noticed 2-3 creepers later
Icy water rinse followed by cooling Thayers then Hyaluronic and GentsGin. 9/10
20200727_001226.jpg

20200727_120519.jpg

Sunday late night shave 7/27/2020(Technically)

I decided a "Method" edge is like cheating, so I wanted to see how good I could do going back to just a jnat edge. Except my koma wore away to a nub of nothingness, so I had to make due.

Razor: Started with Dovo "Special" (no koma), then eventually started switching off with my Friodur '17'.
Strop: TM
Brush: Beehive Paladin 28mm
Pre: Hot shower, Stirling unscented bar
Soap: B&M Seville

Rate: 🥵 6.5

I ended up bbs, but man did it seem like a struggle tonight. And you know how when the shave starts to go wrong then you start to loose focus and it just gets progressively worse... Well yeah. Couple weepers. And for some reason a sliced nostril.

Thank God for Jaboman post Balm!!!

Top Bottom