What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor : R41.
Blade : BIC Chrome Platinum (1). The blade that fits best to R41 IMO is Feather. BIC was not as sharp as Feather but it did the job very very well. It is almost as sharp. In case it lasts longer than Feather, then I have found the "replacement" of Feather.
Brush : Simpson's Polo 8 Silvertip
Soap : Martin de Cantre / Vetyver (Sample). I will order one.... one of the best - if not the best - I have tried.

WTG--->XTG---> BBS 9.9/10.00

Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200726
View attachment 1130869
Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: A&E Kaizen
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid followed by a dollop of CeraVe cream
Aftershave: A&E Kaizen
Cologne: Gender 2BU EdT Spray (clone of CK be)

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

This combination works really well together. Each component is a top flight experience and a pleasure to use. Outstanding results.

Superb Single Edge Sunday shave! :)

How are you liking the beehive? Isn't that hot off the press?

Wade & Butcher
Caswell-Massey Ros
Semogue 1305
Miller Strop
CeraVe Hylauronic Acid Serum
Clubman Pinaud

20200727_061725.jpg

outstanding lather and shave on a Monday morn.

be well all.

camo

Razor: Schone
Blade: Feather
Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Lather: Hitton Donkey Milk

Rating: 9.0

Decided to place the blade (Feather) I used yesterday in the R41 into my Schone. Kind of a compare and contrast. The Muhle is known as a non tight clamper that exhibits blade chatter for some. The Schone which is a Fatip clampls the blade tightly and close to the edge and I don't think it chatters for anyone. The Schone lets blades that aren't sharp enough for a comfortable shave in the R41 shave comfortably. So I thought I'd try a blade that is sharp and smooth for me in the R41.

The Feather delivered another great shave today. It was smooth and maybe even a little more effortless than yesterday, but not as close as the R41. Nothing I've owned or tried has been.

The soap is one of those dissipating lather soaps, that leaves a slick residue that allows for a very close and comfortable shave. If you want or need cushion, you won't get it, but if you need slick, you've got it in spades. Tomorrow I will use another similar soap from France. After that I'll use a few creams and then Saturday is the big day. The kickoff of Arko August. Tomorrow, I think the Feather will go into the Carbon CX.
I see that you are still using the R41, has it become your daily driver?

Daily Shave: 27 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-27

DSCF2190.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with Bromley’s Daily Cleanser f/b Lectric Shave
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #7) Shave #2 (2 passes WTG / ATG) + buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and surplus food storage container
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinsed face, followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 9.0 / 10.0 DFS A nice shave to start the day. No stubble, but one scab removal weeper—puppy claw. Tried the Lectric Shave this morning after reading about it a recent forum post—one test is not enough to make a decision, but improved results were noted. My son's puppy will visit his groomer in August for a haircut and nail trim. Here is the little furball on my truck's seat.
RALPHIE15.jpg

x

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Brush: No-name synthetic
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70 w/WCS SS handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Red (1)
Post-Shave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Barrister and Mann Seville

I really like this Razorock razor! For my neck, it required a little extra work, additional strokes, but the end result is very, very good and...I experienced no irritation at all! Just being honest...I was shocked...in a good way. Tomorrow I'll be going back to the Timeless to try to achieve the same result. Whatever the outcome from tomorrow's shave, I really am happy that I decided to get this razor. It's a quality razor for sure and if this early result can become a consistent result, I'll get plenty of good or better shaves from it.

I've had the PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum soap for quite a while and was actually happy to see that it's starting to look low in the container. Always good to use something up...especially a soap.

Happy Shaves. Everyone!

Kit 20200727.jpg

Synthetic and natural are far apart. I have examples of both types I like, but I only have naturals that get to a higher level than "like". Fibers that can absorb and hold on to water, that aren't springy, but yet give some backbone are the big difference for me.

So which do you prefer? To early to tell?
I think I’m so used to the Synthetic that I prefer that at the moment. I do love the Yaqi Silvertip but there is certainly a learning curve as far as how a natural lathers up as opposed to the synthetic. Everything makes sense now on why I had to put a little more effort into the Silvertip and why it was whipping away some of the lather on the first couple uses.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Daily Shave: 27 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-27

View attachment 1131097

Prep
: Face wash with Bromley’s Daily Cleanser f/b Lectric Shave
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #7) Shave #2 (2 passes WTG / ATG) + buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and surplus food storage container
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinsed face, followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 9.0 / 10.0 DFS A nice shave to start the day. No stubble, but one scab removal weeper—puppy claw. Tried the Lectric Shave this morning after reading about it a recent forum post—one test is not enough to make a decision, but improved results were noted. My son's puppy will visit his groomer in August for a haircut and nail trim. Here is the little furball on my truck's seat.
View attachment 1131099
x

What a pal!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I see that you are still using the R41, has it become your daily driver?
It was. It's going back to it's owner. We swapped razors for a month. I think I've used it something like 27 out of 30 days. Definitely a daily driver for me. Not the smoothest feeling shave while it's happening, but the closest and most comfortable post shave of any razor I've used.

Dang Sabattical's and Restraints! I've read the rules, will re-read them, but I think I'm allowed to trade, so I'm going to see if we can maybe work a trade.

Monday's shave 1.jpg

Another day using Mallard RC soap. I plan on using this soap sample until it is used up. The brush today is AP Shaving tuxedo synthetic. The razor is a Gillette Fat Boy with a Wizamet Super Iridium for its fourth use. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutragena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent. A perfect shave. 10/10.

It was. It's going back to it's owner. We swapped razors for a month. I think I've used it something like 27 out of 30 days. Definitely a daily driver for me. Not the smoothest feeling shave while it's happening, but the closest and most comfortable post shave of any razor I've used.

Dang Sabattical's and Restraints! I've read the rules, will re-read them, but I think I'm allowed to trade, so I'm going to see if we can maybe work a trade.
Hahaha. Thanks for your reviews on this razor. Good luck with the trade!

Razor: GEM Micromatic Flying Wing (Bullet Tip) 1950
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (7)
Brush: La Maison du Barbier: Plisson 23mm
Lather: Tcheon Fung Sing: Paolo Barrasso Blue (Special edition)
Aftershave: Stirling Iced Pineapple (Splash)
FB7A905D-BE63-44CA-8CE2-42B421111B8F.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Who’s Bad! I’m Bad!... Bring Out the Bad Boy Razor.
Yep...when I hold this razor it brings out the bad boy in me. Hell! I’m even wearing my black leather jacket while shaving with this baby.
But can it shave? You bet!
Since I started shaving with these vintage GEM razors I’ve only used one single blade. I have used this blade for five different GEM razors up to now, and this is my seventh shave. I figured I was at the tail end of this blades integrity and would retire it after this shave...not gonna happen! The blade and razor gave me a wonderful smooth, irritation free close shave. This blade is sticking around for round eight.
Although it doesn’t say it anywhere on the tin or the box, this Italian soap is made by Tcheon Fung Sing. It doesn’t claim any top secret new base formula, it’s just excellent soap that lathers and glides like any quality soap should. Although they call it a soap, it is softer than TOBS and can shift in the can. Very nice post shave skin feeling. Highly recommend.
I don’t have any AC and there’s a heat warning in effect 29°C (feels like 40°C) ...104°F.
I have to get out of this black leather jacket before I melt.
...be bad, but stay safe!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How are you liking the beehive? Isn't that hot off the press?
My Bride got me the Beehive and the Vector for Father's Day. :)

The @Rudy Vey Beehive, with Shavemac 2-band Silvertip, is right up there among my favorite brushes. Great when either face or bowl lathering. The Beehive handle is really comfortable in the hand. Rudy absolutely knows this knot and the loft is set perfectly, for me.

Darn fine brush!

Just my opinion. :)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Face Wash
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil.
- Mitchell's Wool Fat

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Dolce & Gabbana The One aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
First time using an Israeli Red today and it impressed with its maiden outing. It felt at least as sharp as the Crystal blade I tried last week but a lot smoother. The end result was a nice close shave with no irritation or feedback from Alum Block.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, July 27th 2020, Good morning all & evening for some. New blade today and thought to give my G bar a little work out today. Performance was stellar today with the new blade. The G bar is a very nice looking razor with comfortable handle and heavy coating of chrome coating and its great to use with a new blade to break in also. Its a milder Gem razor but with a 3 pass shave it with a few touch ups it can give a person a very close shave as most already know.
Razor: Gem G bar -Mfg 1953-58 it is a milder Gem razor but with a new blade it can be a excellent razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) My favorite blade of all SE blades- why? very sharp and predictable with smoothness later in its life cycle IMO.
Soap: Proraso red sandal wood, It is one of my favorites of the Proraso line of soaps.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 black whiskers Plissoft- Excellent brush with backbone, very similar to boar brush.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + any pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem G bar with a new Gem blade.

GEMonday july 27th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom