What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200725
20200725_161545~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock GC84-P (rusdrunkbear Titanium Handlebar handle)
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
Brush: Shavemac 26mm Synthetic Fan
Soap: Barrister and Mann Barrister's Reserve Lavender
Aftershave: Thayers Facial Toner
Cologne: Cella Milano Eau de Lavande Cologne

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The combination of the RazoRock GC84-P (sporting the wonderful rusdrunkbear Titanium Handlebar handle) and equipped with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade is providing me with outstanding shaves! Consistently close, smooth and comfortable shaves. Most impressive.

The B&M Reserve Lavender soap produces very nice lather - cushioning and slick. Nice face feel.

The Cella Milano Eau de Lavande Cologne is really nice. Great scent without overpowering the senses.

The Lavender combination is definitely Bride Approved. :)

Wonderful shave! :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Shave 20200725
View attachment 1130515

The combination of the RazoRock GC84-P (sporting the wonderful rusdrunkbear Titanium Handlebar handle) and equipped with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade is providing me with outstanding shaves! Consistently close, smooth and comfortable shaves. Most impressive.

The B&M Reserve Lavender soap produces very nice lather - cushioning and slick. Nice face feel.

The Cella Milano Eau de Lavande Cologne is really nice. Great scent without overpowering the senses.

What a cool looking brush! Razor is also very nice.

Sunday Morning
Razor: Rex Ambassador (set #1)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Simpsons Polo 8 Super
Lather: Simpsons Shaving Cream

Rating: 9.5
3 passes, BBS. Surprisingly no nicks. For my prep I didn't pre-wet my beard, and just relied on the lather to do it's job. I also started with a cold blade/razor (instead of warming in hot water) and If found my skin was a bit less irritated than normal.
The shaving scuttle/bowl quite good on a cold Melbourne Australia winter morning. The Polo provided oodles of warm lather for all passes, just a fantastic tool.

shv 26-Jul.jpg

Shave 20200725
View attachment 1130515

Razor handle is amazing. Great lavender combo.

Pre-shave:- Pears Green
Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Br
ush:- Body Shop Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Cella Almond
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Shark
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Best razor, good blade, great cream, great brush, average shaver.

10/10

Copy of tt4.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Feather
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Lather: LaToja

Rating: 9.5

Wonderful shave today. The Feather blade took it up a notch in smoothness. Feathers may not be the smoothest blade in milder razors or ones that hold the blade differently, but in the Muhle, I'm finding sharp = smooth. I would say this is the finest shave I have ever had.

I don't know how the Feather might last compared to the Med Prep, but even if it didn't last as long, I'd say it's worth it for the improved smoothness. Not that the Med Prep or Polsilver were bad, they are quite good in this razor but the Feather is just better.

I'm at the end of my trial with this razor. The neighbor is out of town this weekend, so I will swap back for my Carbon CX Monday

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
70s Super Speed
GSB (1)
Simpsons Duke 3 Best
Cella
Proraso white balm
Stephan Lilac splash
10/10

A full 3 passes, which is rare for me. I love the Saturday night shave. Such a relaxing time of quiet. A shave really can change your attitude. I went into the bathroom lethargic, stressed, and perhaps a bit depressed by the constant barrage of bad news. I emerged 20 minutes later renewed. Not deluded, just renewed.
I have two Duke 3's in Best & one each in synthetic, Manchurian and 2 band SilverTip, which is the sweetest brush I've ever used. But if I was told I could only have one Duke forever I'd choose the one in Best that I used tonight. Best is best. Now I'm up the wooden hill to bed, smelling like artificial lilac.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I love the Saturday night shave. Such a relaxing time of quiet. A shave really can change your attitude. I went into the bathroom lethargic, stressed, and perhaps a bit depressed by the constant barrage of bad news
I can get done in 5 minutes - if I wanted to - and do if in a hurry, but I'm with you. These days with all the crap, a quality shave that I control the ingredients of and pace of is a pleasure.

Razor: Personna Caliber 3
Blade: Personna Caliber 3 (2)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger, forgotten model number
Soap: Cella, red tub
Rating: 9.0

Tonight's shave on two and a half days of beard growth. Surprisingly good result: near BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes without any nicks, irritation, or razor burn. This gives me better results than anything I remember from a Mach 3, and is much closer than anything 5-bladed without any of the pulling, tugging, or irritation. Though I didn't get as close a shave with this as with a DE razor, it is very competitive.

I did have some trouble fitting the razor head under the nose, so that area required several attempts to shave it.

All in all, this won my shave off against the Gillette PII Trac II/Personna Twin cartridge combo for deciding on a carry-on travel razor, but for me, it is not as good as a DE or SE razor and will not replace them for daily use.

Sorry for the late reply. I have used Pinaud VIBR on it's own in the past. It's a much different scent than Stirling Bay Rum. VIBR is very heavy with a cinnamon/spiciness and has it's share of clove. Stirling is a bit more pure than that, it's a nutmeg-heavy Bay Rum scent. The Pinaud product smells nice, very popular stuff, but it smells, to me, very artificial. With the Stirling product...the real Bay oil scent comes through. With Pinaud, I'm not even sure there is any real Bay oil in it. Someone on the forum may know. Again, Pinaud smells good, it's just artificial compared to Stirling.

One other comparison...the scent of Pinaud VIBR dissipates within 10 minutes after you apply it. The scent of Stirling Bay Rum will stick around a bit longer. I can detect it several hours later. Not that it has an overbearing scent...it just has some longevity where VIBR has next to none. And as with all comparisons...YMMV.
Hey....no worries my fellow member, thanks and appreciate your detailed reply. I'll keep what you said in mind if I have the chance for Stirling BayRum. Meantime, I gonna mix this VIBR a bit and see how it goes.
Best regards,

Saturday Evening SOTD
  • Pre: Hot shower, Clean & Clear Face Scrub, TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
  • Razor: Merkur 34G
  • Blade: Astra SP (3)
  • Brush: Yaqi Moka 26mm
  • Shaving Cream: TOBS Sandalwood, face lather
  • Aftershave: Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Score: 7.5/10 DFS w/ some irritation
    • WTG, XTG, ATG, one pass each with touch ups​
    • ATG was a big fail. I could feel the blade tug a bit under my chin, but I also wasn’t taking my time as much as I should have, so the technique could have been the cause for the irritation​
    • Few nicks under chin 🤦🏼‍♂️
    • Face lathered with the cream for the first time. First two passes were great, third pass (ATG) wasn’t the best. Not sure if blade was culprit or I got used to Cella and it’s slickness but something was off​
    • Looking forward to the next shave to right these wrongs I encountered this evening​
5501CFE7-C580-4F74-84BE-4D4E7EEB38B3.jpeg

Sun 26 SOTD
Soap Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Gillette Tech
Blade Tatra Platinum 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Clubman BayRum
One of my favourite soap. Very good lather from a relaxing face lathering with the brush after a 20 secs direct load from tub. Creamy and slick with a gorgeous scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was perfect! Sharpish, smooth and very comfortable. 3+1 multiple passes with 1 unexpected weeper. Between bbs and dfs result. Using icy water rinse at the end proves to be better than alum, for the past 3 months. Thayers then Hyaluronic and BayRum completed a good session. 9.5/10

Side note: Amazing how a simple cheap tech can shave so well giving excellent results comparable to much more expensive razors..
VIBR...hmmmm...so differrent from both the BayRum soaps. Too strong clove scent for me...
20200726_134247.jpg

20200726_134439.jpg

I love the Saturday night shave. Such a relaxing time of quiet. A shave really can change your attitude. I went into the bathroom lethargic, stressed, and perhaps a bit depressed by the constant barrage of bad news. I emerged 20 minutes later renewed. Not deluded, just renewed

I can get done in 5 minutes - if I wanted to - and do if in a hurry, but I'm with you. These days with all the crap, a quality shave that I control the ingredients of and pace of is a pleasure.

The best thing about being retired is that I can spend two hours enjoying the prepping and shaving experience if I want to. I start off the day feeling good about myself.

All in all, this won my shave off against the Gillette PII Trac II/Personna Twin cartridge combo for deciding on a carry-on travel razor, but for me, it is not as good as a DE or SE razor and will not replace them for daily use.
When I got my Schick injector one of the first things I thought of was what a perfect travel razor it would be. In real life it’s very small and weightless. Super portable, and it can shave up close to your nose. Also a razor you don’t have to worry about nicking or cutting yourself while travellin.

Daily Shave: 26 July 2020

Fixed 4 For Any Month—Day-26
DSCF2188.JPG

Prep: Face wash with Bromley’s Daily Cleanser
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Feather (Blade #7) Shave #1 (2 passes + buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using distilled water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Post: Rinsed face, followed up with a Witch Hazel wipe down.
Rating: 9.9 / 10.0 BBS A fantastic Sunday morning shave. No stubble, weepers, or nicks. Taking the wife out to breakfast at a place we frequented during her successful cancer treatment—COVID-19 is hurting all restaurants and we want to visit and help them.

36-hour beard

Postwar fat-handle Tech in gold, Feather blade (3)

Mix of Trumper's Almond Cream and Barbasol Original

APShaveCo synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured skin lotion, Clubman powder

Showered; used a little Trumper's cream as a pre-shave. Then I loaded a bit of the cream on the damp brush and whipped it up together with a spritz of Barbasol Original in my scuttle. This produced one heck of a thick lather. I did my usual three minute soak-in, rinsed the cream off, then re-applied the mix and wielded the Tech. Two passes on cheeks and lower lip, three plus cleanup on the throat. A comfortable and smooth shave, one of those times you're hardly aware there is a blade in the razor, with a near BBS. Verdict: 9.8.

Top Bottom