What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Sat shave collage.jpg

Today's shave starts with Mallard RC soap with a Bigelow Super Badger brush. An excellent lather. The razor is my Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05 mm with a Personna Med Prep blade. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal PW followed by some Clubman. After a shower, the fragrance was TOBS Sandalwood Cologne. An excellent shave. 10/10.

Pre-shave:- Pears Green

Bowl/Scuttle:- None

Br
ush:- Body Shop Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Palmolive Shave Stick

Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Treet

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Best razor, good blade, great cream, great brush, average shaver.

10/10

Attachments

• P1030048.JPG
    P1030048.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 7

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat, July 25th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 Parade -Mfg 1943 variant, Excellent mid range razor with a comfortable great self standing handle that you do not see very often.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) excellent blade in all ways. :001_wub:
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers,24mm synthetic- Excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"- nice scent with great lather qualities.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The dead Sea aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Junior 1912 Parade.

SE SOTD, Sat, July 25th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

screeby......

with the GEM razors (all of them).....try zero pressure or weight of the razor. there are very few of these models that you can get by with a little push. (FW, PB, etc) the micromatics are extremely efficient and show no mercy as you have experienced.

zero, nix, nada. master this and you can apply this to any razor known to man.

just trying to share what helped me.

cant stress zero pressure enough. on the south to north strokes.....obviously cant use weight of the razor. lightly hold razor against skin with no pressure or push at all.

camo
+1
The ZERO pressure recommendation has improved my shaves 100% with less aggressive razors than the GEMs.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Saturday Morning shave

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Brush: Fendrihan Black and White Synthetic
Soap: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus

Lathered up the Musgo Spiced Citrus for the first time this morning. Great scent and creamy lather with lanolin felt great. Another nice cream from Portugal. Very comfortable shave this morning.
9/10

Razor: Schick Injector (E Type)
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Semogue: Owner Club Boar 24mm
Lather: Strike Gold: The Gipper
Aftershave: Strike Gold: The Gipper
B4EA8950-E1F4-4976-92AE-B60E2C6B18CA.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Maybe This Heatwave Needs a Cold Warrior...C’mon Ronnie, Lets do a Little Schick Kickin’!
My first ever Schick injector shave and all I can say is it was one of the fastest shaves I’ve had. After the first careful test strokes, I was shaving at hyper-speed with the feeling of invulnerability. I don’t know if it’s even possible to cut or nick yourself with this razor. I just started zooming all over my face every which way getting a BBS with zero skin irritation or rough sensation of any kind from the razor. I almost feel guilty. Is it okay to use this razor here, or is it getting too close to cart shaving? Well, I guess it’s really just a single edge razor, but not like any vintage SE I’ve used to date. Everyone should have one of these babies!
I would like to thank Ronnie for smelling so good. The Gipper is one of my very favorite scents in my soap collection. A fantastic scent to enjoy throughout the shave and then keep it coming with the AS. Mmmmmmm good. (Scented with the western aroma of sweetgrass, cedar, sage, coal, tar, & gunpowder)

Thanks for reading, and stay safe please.

Preshave: Lectric Shave

Razor: Merkur 34C

Blade: KAI (1)

Brush: Stirling Synthetic

Soap: Stirling Glacial MITA

AS: Stirling MITA Witch Hazel& Aloe/Proraso Green

Rating: 9.5/10

This was my first time using a KAI and I may have found my new favorite blade. I also tried Lectric Shave as my preshave. I applied it per the instructions, waited a few minutes then lightly wet my face before lathering up. I think it worked pretty well. I had the stuff leftover from my electric days and decided to give it a try.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Nice...
I wonder if you use Pinaud VIBR too and if you do, what the comparison with the Stirling BayRum?

Sorry for the late reply. I have used Pinaud VIBR on it's own in the past. It's a much different scent than Stirling Bay Rum. VIBR is very heavy with a cinnamon/spiciness and has it's share of clove. Stirling is a bit more pure than that, it's a nutmeg-heavy Bay Rum scent. The Pinaud product smells nice, very popular stuff, but it smells, to me, very artificial. With the Stirling product...the real Bay oil scent comes through. With Pinaud, I'm not even sure there is any real Bay oil in it. Someone on the forum may know. Again, Pinaud smells good, it's just artificial compared to Stirling.

One other comparison...the scent of Pinaud VIBR dissipates within 10 minutes after you apply it. The scent of Stirling Bay Rum will stick around a bit longer. I can detect it several hours later. Not that it has an overbearing scent...it just has some longevity where VIBR has next to none. And as with all comparisons...YMMV.

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on whiskers​
First Pass: WTG​
John J Hogan 503 Special SR​
Second and Third Pass: XTG / ATG​
Razor: Merkur Progress Long Handle @5​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 8.8/10 Very close shave, but not BBS. Two nicks​
  • My first pass was with the SR. It felt very nice compared to yesterday's "grabby" feel. Ironically, it was not near as close. I am experimenting with angles.
  • I used the Progress for the next two passes. I raised it to Level 5 for the first time. It did not feel bad at the time until the very end. My Nacet was on its last legs and getting a little rough. I do have some delayed irritation. I will probably dial the Progress down to Levels 3 & 4, depending on the situation.
  • The Semogue was much better today, but is not fully broken in yet. It did lose two bristles today :(

My main goal for today was to focus pressure and angles. In doing so I created some minor irritation in my lower neck but that was an issue yesterday as well. So maybe not super surprised. I left some stubble but with no clean up and focused work it was bound to happen. Three red dots that were in new spot from yesterday but a cold water splash cleared them up. Added some menthol drops to the soap and splash and that helped cool me down for my morning project of painting 4 building on a farm today.

7.6/10

KM

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200725065517374_COVER.jpg

I just purchased this MMOC as I didn't have one in my little SE collection. I have used one once or twice before and it didn't go well.

This did not go well this morning either. Literally the first pass I drew blood. I drew blood I am not sure I have ever bled from before. No pain. Really no irritation. But blood was plentiful and a lots of it.

I am going to chalk it up to a few things. Fresh blade. Too much pressure. Lazy angles. My 3rd pass I am pretty sure I did. It open any new spots up.

This poor shave is unfortunate on a Friday, using my favorite go to scent but this is what 2020 has become.

:)

The badger brush was great, all my equipment worked exactly as it should. I even have an almost BBS shave and I did no clean up and skipped half the 3rd pass.

KM

View attachment 1129739
I have an MMOC coming. Keeping my fingers crossed on the blood free shave.

Normal prep
Schick injector type E1
Three days on the blade
DR Harris Windsor
Yaqi 26mm synthetic
Rating: 8.9/10

I did two passes except I replaced my normal ATG with XTG. ATG wasnt too pleasant last time and gave me some irritation.

This shave was the best so far with the injector. I could hear the razor and used negative pressure on XTG pass. All in all it was a DFS or close to it. I wasnt pushing the issue but it was a satisfactory shave that made me happy.

First time with Barrister and Mann soap.
Waves scent. Ill have to experiment more the soap to know where I place it in my ranking but definately a good one. For the aftershave (B&M waves), it's a perfect score, one of my best.
9/10 - 3 passes
Weapon : Supply single edge v2, 2 dots
Shield : B&M waves
Medic : Thayers witch Hazel lavender
Victory : B&M waves AS
IMG_20200725_192800.jpg

Top Bottom