What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Wade & Butcher Frameback
DG Gratiot League Square
Semogue 1305
Miller Strop

20200716_080002.jpg

wonderful shave this morn. been a while since I've used this soap!!!!!

be well all.

9.8/10

camo
Beautiful set up. Where did you get the copper lather bowl? I love my Fine Accoutrements ceramic bowl but I am banging the hell out of it. It has chips all over the place and pieces glued on. How does the copper bowl work with trying to keep a warm lather?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD- like to use my real McCoy Gem 1912 OC every once in a while because it is a great razor, it is milder mid range with good efficiency. This razor is what started Gem to produce millions of improved variant models of the 1912 over the decades and other American.Safety.Razor brand names used this razor head also for sales but stamped their brand on it.

Razor: Gem 1912 OC - Mfg 1912-17, excellent razor, 3 pass with pickups will deliver a close shave for myself.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, very sharp, excellent cost per 100pcs, very predictable smoothing out when using.(I like to use a milder Gem razor for the first few shaves to take advantage of the sharpness.)
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- great citrus scent with good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm systhetic- Excellent brush for bowl lathering, soft tips, have used it for the last 3 1/2 yrs with enjoyment.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC.

SE SOTD, Thur, July 16th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Vielong Horse Hair
Soap: Lea Shaving Cream

Fabulous shave! Razor and blade combo really hit the sweet spot. First time using Lea shaving cream from Spain. Wow, serious menthol kick, very slick, great cushion and eucalyptus fragrance. Did I say menthol? Second pass was like painting ice on my face. Horse hair painted it on in soothing strokes, had to will myself to put the brush down. Cold water rinse took it to another level, bracing wake up call!
10/10

Attachments

• 034A131B-8ADA-4C12-800E-97235D1EEC7A.jpeg
    034A131B-8ADA-4C12-800E-97235D1EEC7A.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
Razor: Schick N3 Injector razor
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum injector blade
Brush: Rubberset 203 in Super Badger
Pre-Shave: L'Occitane Cade Shave Oil
Lather: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating: 10
PSX_20200506_081137.jpg

Thursday shave:
Razor: Maggard Razors MR5 with the Standard V3 head.
Blade: My Star (AAFES military) branded Personna, Israeli made (5th shave on this blade)
Brush: VDH boar brush
Soap: Dr. Jon 8th Dimension
Aftershave: Dr. Jon 8th Dimension

Today’s shave was pretty darn good.
This is the second time I’ve used the Dr. Jon’s shave soap, and instead of loading on the brush, I spooned a small chunk into my warmed up mug, and started to make the lather. Was a little thin, so I added a little more soap and got a nice, fluffy lather.
The first time I used this, it didn’t sit well, and irritated my face. But I think that might have been because my face was very dry, as I used bar soap to wash my face.
This time, no irritation from putting the lather on my face.
My face is nice and smooth, still some stubble on the neck, but not bad.
I’d rate this shave a good, solid 8.

today I accepted the challenge ...
grandfather's shaving, which is very old ...
using hand soap as a shaving foam and regular nivea cream as AS, old Polish LUX razor with Wilkinson razor blades made in England, i.e. old classic cheap, budget shaving.

head and face shaving -7,5

IMG_20200716_193139~2.jpg

Beautiful set up. Where did you get the copper lather bowl? I love my Fine Accoutrements ceramic bowl but I am banging the hell out of it. It has chips all over the place and pieces glued on. How does the copper bowl work with trying to keep a warm lather?

got copper bowl from etsy. took forever to come from Turkey. it will not keep lather warm.....not in the least and thats why I got it. I like it because its light, has plenty of room to build lather, and I like the handle!!!!

camo

SE SOTD- like to use my real McCoy Gem 1912 OC every once in a while because it is a great razor, it is milder mid range with good efficiency. This razor is what started Gem to produce millions of improved variant models of the 1912 over the decades and other American.Safety.Razor brand names used this razor head also for sales but stamped their brand on it.

Razor: Gem 1912 OC - Mfg 1912-17, excellent razor, 3 pass with pickups will deliver a close shave for myself.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, very sharp, excellent cost per 100pcs, very predictable smoothing out when using.(I like to use a milder Gem razor for the first few shaves to take advantage of the sharpness.)
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- great citrus scent with good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm systhetic- Excellent brush for bowl lathering, soft tips, have used it for the last 3 1/2 yrs with enjoyment.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC.

SE SOTD, Thur, July 16th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

nice razor!!!!

camo

Thursday's shave:

Razor: Friodur 72 1/2
this is a stainless straight razor
Brush: Yaqi 24 Cosmic Blue handle. Brush is breaking in, but is very big for a 24mm. I picked a soap with a wide container to try with it today.
Lather: first time use of Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic- this soap basically self lathers- <30 seconds of load and easy peasy, nice thick result. I can see why these modern artisanal soaps have become so popular. They're much easier to lather than MWF or LEA.
AS: Alum block and rinse then TOBS Luxury Herbal balm

Very nice DFS shave 9/10.

All stay safe!

Razor: ATT SE1
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild
Brush: High Mountain White Badger on a DC Cosmetic handle
Lather: Oleo Sopaworks El Caballero
Pre shave: N/A
Aftershave: Bootleggers Bay Rum
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
8/10 DFS++++++
Shave71620.jpg

First shave with the SE1. In fact first ever shave with an AC style razor. I approached this shave with a bit of caution and I know lt'll take me a few more tries to get the hang of it, but all in all, it was a good shave.
There was some blade feel that reminded me of the Blackbird but as i played with the razor's angle it started smoothing out. The KAI blade performed really well.
3 pass shave. 3 weepers and some irritation on my neck, which went away in 2 hours. And if not for a missed spot under my chin, I'd achieved BBS.
I deducted points for the soap and the brush. Didn't perform as well as I'd expected. But that's on me. I usually use Tabac and one of my synthetic brushes when I try a new razor.
Otherwise no complaints. I can see this razor taking a permanent spot in my rotation. I'm now looking forward to try the SE1 with some other ac blades that I ordered through tryablade.

Thursday Afternoon Shave
  • Pre: Hot shower & TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
  • Razor: Merkur 34G
  • Blade: Astra SP (1, for new razor)
  • Brush: Yaqi Moka 26mm
  • Shaving Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio, lathered in Captain’s Choice bowl
  • Aftershave: Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter
  • Score: 9/10. BBS WTG XTG ATG, one weeper on jawline 🤦🏼‍♂️
First time using a Merkur razor, Yaqi brush, and Cella, so there was a LOT going on in this shave for me 😂. It took me a minute to get used to the shorter Merkur handle, and boy I’m glad I purchased the alum block as it was much easier to keep the razor steady after rubbing my fingertips on the block. I find I have MUCH better control with this razor than my longer Suavecito one and that transitioned to a much easier shave for me. Sadly I had one weeper on my jaw from not having a firm grip on the razor... Lather from Cella was great and provided the perfect slickness. I was apprehensive trying this out with the new brush since, after some test lathers before the shave, it was a much different process than that of my tiny 20mm shave brush.
Alum block was a nice touch too and I didn’t get much intense feedback which was nice to see after using a new razor. All in all it was a pleasant first shave for everyone involved!

36E6E511-CA0C-4473-9ADC-CA2301EB439B.jpeg

My Thursday Morning Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on face​
One Pass shave with touch-up​
Razor: Parker SRW Shavette​
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (1)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Rudy Vey w/ Synbad Synthetic knot​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.2/10 Two minor nicks​
  • I won the RV Brush and the Col Conk Shave Cream in a giveaway. They are both excellent!
  • Very nice shave for a one pass with an SR

Razor: Rex Ambassador on #4
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (1)
Brush: Simpsons Polo 8 Super
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood soap, bowl lathered

Polo brush is simply amazing, ticks all the boxes for a comfortable lathering experience.
3 passes. Very smooth bbs. The mild blade with high blade exposure worked well, no irritation. 2 nicks

Rating: 9/10

17-Jul (2).jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200716
20200716_145319~2.jpg

Razor: Ikon B1 OC Deluxe, Maggard MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: Opal 100 (24mm Best Badger)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: RazoRock Mudder Fokker
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Mudder Fokker
Cologne: Gender 2BU Eau de Toilette Spray (clone of CK be)

WTG & ATG. Some XTG touch-up.

DFS with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Ikon B1 OC Deluxe is a medium aggressive, but still efficient, Open Comb razor.

Mellow and wonderful shave! :)

Top Bottom