What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Saturday shave

Razor: Razorock Lupo .95 OC w/ RR Vintage Thin Bar Handle
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Omega 10049 Professional Boar
Post shave: Osma alum block, T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

This was a three pass shave. All the boxes were checked to yield an exceptional shave. The Lupo .95 OC is remarkably efficient and no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation were produced.

It was an excellent shave. 10/10
Enjoy your day!

IMG_5840.jpeg

SOTD June 3rd- 10/10, BBS, a great shave with no mishaps, two passes and a bit of touch up. An artist club blade shave is quite different in feel than the DE shaves with a slant I've been having lately; not better or worse- just different:

Occam's Artist Club SE with a Feather AC Pro blade (2), a Zenith unbleached boar brush, SV Manna di Sicilia soap, and a splash of Master Smokey Oud for a very sweet smelling finish.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and be well!

PXL_20230603_174407229.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

20230602_085824.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1963 I2 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Elite Razor Kingman Turquoise, Manchurian White
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Lone Star
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
A tenner!

Saturday, June 3rd, 2023. It has cooled off. Breezy, mid 60s, sun and clouds.

First time with the Lilac Vegetal. Once again surprised with the good quality shave using the Derby soap. Hoping the sticks prove the same.
Once each, with and against the grain.
Shave 7 with the Personna USA blade, binned it afterward.
Preshave, hot shower and soap, water from warming up puck.
Cold rinse in between and finish.
Alum, a little sting on chin and neck, nothing serious. Rinsed cold.
The Lilac Vegetal. Post, post shave, my face feels great. Glad it's USA made.
I'm going to have to create some shaving memories with it to bond with the scent. Because it reminds of a hotel I stayed at in India.
10/10

May your weekend be enjoyable. Good shave to you, Gentlemen.

1322E73C-4E01-4B16-A2FF-269F36070097.jpeg

SOTD JUNE 3rd
June 2023 GRUME

Hello friends

A beautiful day today. It made me want to smell roses… I took the tub of Mike's Rose, Patchouli & Cedarwood and combined it with the rose scents of Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet. How wonderful!

As usual on Saturdays, I used Green Cult 2.0 with plate IV and today I repeated Wizamet (2). With Omega Jade and Thayers it was a perfect combination.

Frank was with me on Deep In A Dream.

Rating: 9,5

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

E884F0A4-DBE2-43E5-9539-AB7F21521187.jpeg
IMG_8954.jpeg

RR Game Changer .84 SB / RR Super Knurl
Nacet (5)
MdC Nature
RR 400 Plissoft 24/55
Aveeno lotion
Proraso Azur Lime cologne

2 passes WTG / no touch-up
DFS++
10/10

Shave #5 with this combo done and dusted. I was dead tired after the shower last night so delayed the shave until this morning.

It's been quite a long time since I've shaved without a preceding shower. However, the comfort level was so good I think I may switch up permanently. My pre-shave shower is a bit of a legacy holdover from my days of hot prep. But, to be honest, the cold prep seems to go even better without the shower. Perhaps a bit too much skin swelling counteracting the effects? 🤔

In any case, the zero-prep cold flannel shave was simplicity itself. Not a single issue encountered. It may have helped that I was on a 36hr beard as well. I think I'm gonna have to reconsider the daily shave. At least as far as the more aggressive setups go.

I've also learned that giving the 400 a thorough wipe after the shave keeps it from developing a scummy residue on it's anodized aluminum handle. Very handy indeed, as I don't need yet another way to drop something in the bathroom. 😜

SOTD JUNE 3rd
June 2023 GRUME

Hello friends

A beautiful day today. It made me want to smell roses… I took the tub of Mike's Rose, Patchouli & Cedarwood and combined it with the rose scents of Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet. How wonderful!

As usual on Saturdays, I used Green Cult 2.0 with plate IV and today I repeated Wizamet (2). With Omega Jade and Thayers it was a perfect combination.

Frank was with me on Deep In A Dream.

Rating: 9,5

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

View attachment 1665082View attachment 1665083
Nice job sir!😊👍💈🍺

Afternoon!

June (3rd)

Pre: Proraso Preshave
Razor: '28 Kirby Beard and Company
Blade: Minora (2)
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic

Right now, this razor is solidly in my top 5 with the Overlander, Henson +++, Masamune and Lupo .58 stainless. If I could only have one though, for heavy growth or daily use, this would be it. Big lather channels, just the sweetest amount of blade feel, really efficient and no irritation. I've never really considered sending any of my vintage razors out for a refinish, as I'm not that fussy as long as they function and are clean, but I think this one deserves a re-plate. BBS results after 2 days growth. 10/10

Cheers!

Today's shave:
Razor:
Weishi Long Handle
Blade: Dorco Prime (shave #1)
Brush: Razorock Blondie 26mm bleached boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (original tallow formula)
Result: Very Good 2+ pass 9.5/10 shave. Shave was BBS

Great weekend day for a relaxing weekend MWF shave. Soaked my boar in warm water for a couple of minutes while washing my face. Loaded and built some lather on the puck for around 45 seconds and then proceeded to face lather. Typical rich and slick lather from my MWF with it's clean soap scent. 9.5 score due to a small weeper due to user error. Great residual slickness noted when rinsing and the pleasant light MWF scent still lingered a bit after drying my face. Great post-shave feel as usual from MWF.

Glad I've some reserve pucks of the original formula given the recent change in ingredients (tallow taken out).

DE SOTD. Saturday, June 3rd 2023

Razor : Razorock Game Changer.84 316 SS- Mfg 2018>, excellent machining and finish QC, tame mid range, I have always received decent shaves with my GC.84 but with a Kai SS extra wide it just makes my shaving more enjoyable to reach a nice level of closeness IMO. Had a close no issues shave this morning and that is all a person requires IMO.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide (6)- sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. They are pricier than other blades but worth having a few tucks for those great mild razors that need a bump in efficentcy and some extra blade feel.
Soap : Williams mug soap- interesting soap with a rich history in shaving world for millions of folks, the soap formula was changed from old to new and the brand has changed hands also and it is not as rich and wonderful as the old formula according to folks who still use both formulated soaps.
Williams mug soap could of improved their soap but sat on their hands and did nothing and now the Brand is done for now, hopefully they will bring out a new improved formula down the road that they could of easily accomplished(management problems who where not Intune with the changing times IMO). I like to use this soap every once in a while, Mr. Williams "founder" must be turning in ..........! Folks ,must of found better cheaper soap some where else is my guess! Williams works well with a thicker pastier loaded brush on a wet face is my finding and just add a little water to brush or use a water mister if needed.
Brush : Yaqi "Ever helpful" 22mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, excellent splay scrubber + great lather painter. This brush is a excellent splay scrubber because of a shorter loft and still has a reasonable soft face feel.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso green eucalyptus with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)3 template 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my RR GC.84 with a Kai extra wide blade.
SOTD May June 3 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!
Great review. Curious about your Williams box, looks very different from what we were buying in our local U.S. grocery until early last year. Is it vintage?

Your are right that the key to a great Williams shave is to load plenty of the soap. It's the hardest puck I own so requires extra effort or the use of a boar instead of my synthetic plissoft brushes. Worth it as if loaded well it delvers excellent shaves from what used to be a 99 cent (U.S.) puck.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great review. Curious about your Williams box, looks very different from what we were buying in our local U.S. grocery until early last year. Is it vintage?
Here in Canada everything has to Bilingual because we have 2 official languages, English and French when anything is sold to the public in retail sales. Owner manuals on any products sold in Canada have to be in both English & French . Glade you enjoy Williams mug soap like I do once in a while. The puck you see is the new formula and took a few shaves to dial it in years ago.

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower, 3 days growth​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Karve Brass 3-1/2" Handle OC-d​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6)​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Green Brush #23/30 w/ Shavemac Finest 22mm​
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch (Sheep Milk & Lanolin) Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.4/10 DFS!

Saturday Shave-

IMG_3929.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Hot Towel, Proraso White

Badger: Stirling 2 Band Finest Fan
Blade: Kai

Razor: E2 Fatboy on 6
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
After-Shave: Cold Water Splash, GFT Alum, PAA Star Jelly

Rating: 8/10

Notes: DFS+. A good standard Saturday morning shave. Got busy and couldn’t post until now.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230603
20230603_113655~2.jpg

Razor: Lambda Athena (TiBam Radiator Titanium Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (@apshaveco 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Solid Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Cool

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12267769

How many shaves are you in with the MdC David? I am sending that this is a very long lasting soap.

Guido
Hi Guido,

I hope you & your loved ones are well. I estimate I've had well over 100 shaves with that jar of Agrumes. I purchased it at Pasteur's approx. October of 2021. It has been my primary soap from Spring - Fall for 2022 & again beginning this late Winter/early Spring. I'm maybe halfway through the jar. It is indeed a very long-lasting soap. And once I learned to over-hydrate, the talk of it drying my skin is not a true statement, for me. It will be used for 95% of my shaves until I change to MdC Fougere when the weather turns cold. A truly high-quality soap.

Hi Guido,

I hope you & your loved ones are well. I estimate I've had well over 100 shaves with that jar of Agrumes. I purchased it at Pasteur's approx. October of 2021. It has been my primary soap from Spring - Fall for 2022 & again beginning this late Winter/early Spring. I'm maybe halfway through the jar. It is indeed a very long-lasting soap. And once I learned to over-hydrate, the talk of it drying my skin is not a true statement, for me. It will be used for 95% of my shaves until I change to MdC Fougere when the weather turns cold. A truly high-quality soap.
Thanks David as always! And still rocking that Tech too.

On this of the globe we are peddling along. Hope all is well back in Missouri too. This is going on my wish list for Santa!

Thanks again kind sir!

Guido

Top Bottom