What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Date
365 daily shaves
155/365​
GRUYERE
155/363​
GRUME June
03/29​
SOTMC
04/30​
High Efficiency June
04/30​

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Short CombGillette Platinum (2+3)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (BBS-)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to these shaves:

General - Inaugural shave with the SC. One word: fantastic. Second word: period.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Saturday night shave 🪒

Muhle R41
Gillette Platinum #3
Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar 🐗 brush
Moonsoap Amaretto Shave Soap
Stirling Deep Blue Sea A/S

Brush was hogging the soap a bit.
Soap wasn’t lathering brills either and having window open seemed to exacerbate the problem once applied.
Had to keep making up more lather between passes - Not the best soap but not normally poor like this?

Anyway this made need of extra touch up passes to neck which thankfully didn’t result in being sore.

So result was BBS - but not necessarily efficient - amusing as just signed up for

High Efficiency June 2023​

thread 🪡

Enjoy weekend all

Sunday morning. Another bright day.

Vintage PAL + Astra SP
Vie Long faux horn handle white horse brush
Wilkinson Sword shave stick
Vintage (1980s) Yardley Gold Classic (black stopper) aftershave

Known as the Star on the left hand side of the pond, and PAL in the UK, and the star (or pal) of its own thread here on B&B. A worthy rival for the all-conquering Tech.

Screenshot from 2023-06-04 10-21-30.png

Shaves very well. I'll usually load the brush from a bowl, but there's a lot to be said for shave sticks. I wasn't sure the smells would go together today, but since I had the more obvious match of Shulton Old Spice out last week I thought I'd see how these got on. Pretty good.

I'll call it a "9" today

ARES SHAVE

Three Days Whiskers

PRE-SHAVE:

- Hot Shower

- Musgo Real Pre-Shave Oil

BOWL: Saponificio Varesino Shaving Grail (I)

SOAP: Haslinger Ringelblumen (A) -

What a wonderful lather it originated in bowl.

BRUSH: Shavemac Blue Two Band Silvertip, 56×30 mm Knot -

There's two premieres in this shave.
This is one of them, a beautiful brush recently acquired, a Shavemac Silvertip Two Band that shines with dazzling blue colors.
In their site from 1 to 10 they describe the grade as follows, comparing it with their other grades:
- Softness: 9
- Density: 8
- Strength: 7
I couldn't agree more. I have two other Shavemac, one D01 TWO Band and one D01 Three Band.
They're all special and all quite different, fulfilling different needs and wishes.
The one of today is an amazing brush similar to another great two band silvertip I have from Thäter. Yet this one I asked for has a fan for face lathering purposes. I'll do that next time.

SR: Lambda Ares V2 (Greece) -

When I was the first time in Greece, back in 1996, I climbed to the Acropolis. And I was deeply moved when I saw the Parthenon. For me it's more than a majestic temple, it's the most beautiful building ever rised.
From the three great Orders of Architecture, the Parthenon displays the Doric one in its columns. Clean, strong and time challenging.
Mr Theodoros Dragonas reproduces this feeling perfectly in this chef d'oeuvre.

Nowadays I have 73 SRs, 34 of them are so called high-end. This one is the most beautiful of them all.

Highly polished, tight tolerances, tight clamping, smooth teeth, neutral blade exposure and a tiny blade gap of 0.30 mm, which states that more important than that is the geometry of the head, where true art resides.

The weight of the razor is of 99 gr. And the length of the handle is of 95 mm, with very good balance. Deeply grooved, it didn't give me any slippery problems even with wet hands.

So, for my inaugural shave with this Greek War God, second version, I got a 10/10 BBS. With only two passes and some small pick-ups on neck, for a three days beard growth, that's a fantastic result tempered with impeccable efficiency and smoothness. A must to have.

By the way the wooden box where the razor comes in is by itself the best quality container I've ever seen. An echo of a very faraway past.
In Europe this razor with a tag price under 200 € (190 more precisely) with such a box blasts away all concurrence.

BLADE: Voskhod (RUS) - in its second use it's always more agressive, for its Teflon coat has been already partially removed. It matched very well with the Ares.

POST-SHAVE:

- The Barber Professional Allume di Rocca (I) - mild to medium feedback over the first couple of minutes.

- Eau Thermale Avène After-Shave Balm (F)

- Blenheim Bouquet Eau de Toillette (UK)

THE SHAVE:

A 10/10 marvelous Shave.

1st Pass: WTG.

2nd Pass: XTG from East to West on mustache and chin areas. ATG on the rest.

Some pick-ups on neck, specially XTG from right to left.

Attachments

• 20230604_103439-01.jpeg
    20230604_103439-01.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230604_104659-01.jpeg
    20230604_104659-01.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230604_111324-01.jpeg
    20230604_111324-01.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
SOTD June 3rd- 10/10, BBS, a great shave with no mishaps, two passes and a bit of touch up. An artist club blade shave is quite different in feel than the DE shaves with a slant I've been having lately; not better or worse- just different:

Occam's Artist Club SE with a Feather AC Pro blade (2), a Zenith unbleached boar brush, SV Manna di Sicilia soap, and a splash of Master Smokey Oud for a very sweet smelling finish.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and be well!

View attachment 1665048
+1 on the Master Smokey Oud, as always. :)

GRUME June – Day 4
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
04 June 2023

1685875510779.jpeg
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol with cold rain water
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #18 of 100 Shave #5 and out
  • Razor: King C. Gillette
  • Cream: Proraso Green using very hot rain water
  • Brushes: Noble Otter for prep and lathering
  • Bowls: Timeless Blue bowls for Cube 2.0 prep & Lathering
  • A/S: Proraso Green
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Comments: Following a Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded no nicks or weepers, but lots of stubble. Lots of tugging and dragging. Blade #18 is kaput. On to #19 tomorrow
Today’s Rating: 8.0 CAS

Eric_75

GRUME June – Day 4
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
04 June 2023

View attachment 1665408
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol with cold rain water
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #18 of 100 Shave #5 and out
  • Razor: King C. Gillette
  • Cream: Proraso Green using very hot rain water
  • Brushes: Noble Otter for prep and lathering
  • Bowls: Timeless Blue bowls for Cube 2.0 prep & Lathering
  • A/S: Proraso Green
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Comments: Following a Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded no nicks or weepers, but lots of stubble. Lots of tugging and dragging. Blade #18 is kaput. On to #19 tomorrow
Today’s Rating: 8.0 CAS
Have a great day, Bobby!

Today's shave

Parker 22R Interceptor razor with the Nacet blade
Palmolive cream
Alum block
Hawkins & Brimble post-shave cream
WA and WX passes only

What a really good shave! The legendary Nacet blade is really smooth and comfortable as to be expected; it is one of the best blades there is. However the aggressiveness of the 22R Interceptor did result in a few very minor nicks. The shave was so aggressive that I didn't need to do the third pass. As good as the Nacet blade is, it works better in the Sledgehammer.

The Palmolive cream is really good and made a nice lather. Im just glad my local chemist sells it as its pretty hard to come by these days. The alum block and Hawkins & Brimble post-shave balm really finished the shave off nicely.

Score:

Blade sharpness 10/10
Blade comfort 9/10
Cream quality 9/10
Shave quality 9/10
Overall 9/10

Final thoughts.

The Nacet is definitely one of the best blades there is! However it is more suited to the Sledgehammer than the Interceptor. Still a really good shave though!!

Jason.

Eric_75

Pre-shave • King C. Gillette Face Wash

Cream • Executive Shaving Citrus Kiss

Bowl • Timeless Blue

Brush • Omega Evo

Razor • Mühle R41

Blade • Treet 7 Days Platinum

Aftershave • Thayers Unscented + Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

Eye Gel • Neutrogena Hydro Boost

My first time using the R41 and the ES Citrus Kiss. Thanks again, Kim @Phoenixkh :)

This was a close and comfortable shave, friends. No weepers or irritation. About 3 days of growth knocked down. I just randomly grabbed a Treet 7 Days Platinum and it paired great with the R41 for me. I'm going to stick with the R41 for the rest of June and try a variety of blades with it. I'm really impressed with the ES Citrus Kiss. Wonderful slickness and I love the scent. Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue provided the perfect finish. A solid 10/10.

No big plans today other than going to mass and doing some work in the yard. Have a blessed day, all.

Now Plaiyng •

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Saturday’s and Sunday’s shave. Almost identical except for the soap.
Razor: Gillette Slim.
Blade: Treet Platinum 1st and 2nd use.
Soap: Palmolive/tube, Lea stick.
Brush: Frank Shaving synthetic.
Preshave: Shower.
Postshave: None.
Alum feedback : None used.
Smooth: 9.0/10
Close: 9.0/10
Soap: 9.5/10 Palmolive
9.0/10 Lea
The Treet blade for me falls into the second tier.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sunday, June 4th 2023

Razor : Gillette Fatboy, E4- Mfg 1959 4th qtr, well built to last for generations, I find this Gillette Fatboy one of their better razors from my shaving experiences, I get nice results and very few issues over the years of use + birthday yr razor.
Blade : Personna red (3) sharp & smooth with great longevity. Top 5 tier blades.
Soap : Yaqi Green, nice scented soap (similar to Lacoste green cologne) + excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned M.S.Creations S.A for their line of soaps and aftershaves and did a nice job of it IMO. Green is one of my favorite scents.
Brush : Yaqi "Lucky dice" 26mm Tuxedo knot, Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Nice big handle for large hands and a joy to use.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(7) + ATG(7) + pickups(8 setting).
Post shave : Yaqi Green:001_wub:( similar to Lacoste green cologne) with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Gillette Fatboy with a Personna red blade.
SOTD May June 10 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

• Wolfman SS 1.25 OC.
• Iridium Super Stainless blade (1).
• Hot shower with buff city bar soap.
• Olive oil bar soap for preshave.
• KaliFlower Citrus Cedar shaving soap.
• RazoRock blonde boar brush.
• KaliFlower With Hazel balm for face.
• Aqua Velva Classic Blue aftershave.

Running late this morning so I grabbed a quick shower and then reached for my Wolfman and a new Iridium blade for a DFS and socially acceptable “ONE” pass shave. Topped the shave off with a quick rinse and then applied the KaliFlower WitchHazel balm for my face and the Cooling Aqua Velva splash for the back of my neck and chest. The judge certainly had no problem issuing a solid 9.257 based on a smooth, quick, and comfortable shave with no nicks, cuts, or any other fuss. Everyone enjoy your day!
B8071815-DBFA-4774-87EF-8AE040ADDD6E.jpeg
DE1E379D-C9F7-445B-B3E1-5403113C229D.jpeg

Top Bottom