What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

397DFD3A-1876-4700-867D-38515E9494A0.jpeg

Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Brush: Sea Glass / Omega
Razor: Fatboy
Blade: PermaSharp (2)

A very, very enjoyable shave.

10/10

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Razor: Claymore Evolution with a Timeless matte Ti Crown handle and stand
Blade: Feather ProGuard (5)
Bowl: ESC Stef Baxter lipped ceramic
Brush: Zenith B23 Manchurian
Pre-Shave: PAA Tube 2.0
Soap: Canada Shaving Cream
Post Shave: Grooming Department Hydrating Gel, Neutrogena Hydro Boost

A very comfortable shave... slight tugging of the blade at the beginning.. probably my less than stellar technique as that disappeared as the shave progressed. The blade might be dulling slightly, however.

I'd had to say... 9.5 or so out of 10.

The base of the teak slab table I usually use for my photos.

SOTD_7_1_2022.jpg

Saturdays I usually use my RazoRock products. Today was usual.

RazoRock Gold Label soap stick
Kent BK4 Silvertip Badger brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (9)
RazoRock XXX aftershave
RazoRock XXX EdP

Two passes. Still fantastic results. I’ll score it a 9.99/10.

3F90B97F-62C4-472A-881D-1FB0D3462028.jpeg

I love a weekend shave where I can take my time and enjoy.

Pre-shave: hot shower and then Proraso Green pre-shave cream
Soap: Stirling Lemon Chill
Razor: '64 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Aftershave: Osama Alum Block, then a splash of Skin Bracer

3 take!-your-time passes, great results, what's not to like.
10 out of 10

Shaved at my GF's today, so a limited selection of gear. I lathered with TOBS Sandlewood cream then started to shave with a Tech. I quickly realised the blade was dull so decided to use my Futur instead. Started on setting 2.5 for the moustache and chin areas, moved up to 4 for the cheeks and neck and finally opened it right up past 6 for the neck and under the jaw. The blade was a BIC Chrome on its 4th shave (probably). The Futur is the most aggressive DE razor I have and it rewarded me with a fuss-free BBS; absolutely no stubble left behind. 10/10.

It surprised me with how mild it was on the lower settings, I never really use it like that.

20220702_141745.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Sat, June 2nd 2022

Razor : Yaqi Katana- Mfg 2019> mid range, takes 1/2 DE blade and works well, loading a blade I keep it lose and bump the blade to the stops gently with a carboard blade tuck box and then lightly torque and check for final tightening. Blade installation is a challenge some times but once you do it a few times it becomes easier IMO. 1/2 DE blade is more a Gimmick possibly but great for the budget minded compared when buying SE blades IMO!
Blade : Gillette Astra SP (2) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender- nice lavender scent with excellent lather qualities. (discontinued.)
Brush : Yaqi Chianti's 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentile scrub+ excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Katana SE with a Astra SP blade.
SOTD July 2 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Today's shave

View attachment 1481704

Merkur 39c Sledgehammer with the Personna Red Israeli blade
GFT Almond shaving cream applied with the Super Badger brush
GFT Sandalwood skin food and the alum block.
WX pass on face and WA on neck.

The Personna Red blade performed identically to the Nacet (my reference blade). Couldn't find any noticeable difference in terms of sharpness or comfort. One thing I do dislike about the Personna blades is the plastic packaging, which is a bit of a waste in environmental terms.

The GFT Almond cream is one of the finest creams I have ever used. It is very slick, smooth and comfortable; so much that I barely felt the blade on my skin. Really impressed with it. Plus the almond smell isn't as overpowering as I thought it would be. My Super Badger brush is a MASSIVE step up from my old synthetic brush, it generated a far better lather and it lifted the hair much more efficiently.

The shave was really that good for a two pass. Due to the far better lifting action of the SB brush, I didn't feel the need to do a third pass. I was more than happy with the DFS results from the two passes. I will try doing a third passing for my next shave as I get used to the SB brush. Overall I am really pleased with todays results and the Persona blade certainly gets my vote (if only they would use card packaging instead of plastic packaging...)

Score:

Blade comfort: 10/10
Blade sharpness: 10/10
Cream quality:10/10
Shave quality: 9/10

Overall score: 9/10

Final thoughts:

None that I can think of, given how good today's shave was for a two pass. Also do you like my new sink unit in the pic?

Jason.
Wow I really like the sink!

Yaqi Cola Brush
Stirling Black Cherry soap
Left Side: Gillette New SC + 2x Parker Blade
Right Side: Schick Krona + 4x GSB

Smooth, irritation-free BBS for both sides. Definitely a 10+ shave.
Yesterday, the Parker Blade in a Gilette Milord was ho-hum and not very close. Today in the SC it was outstanding.

Last edited:
20210827_084510.jpg

Razor: Gillette Pre-War Fat Handled Tech, Silver
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Simpson Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Rating Ten

Date
Main Focus:02/31 Days in GRUME (6% and still in)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash and shower
Cream:TGS Solo
Aftershave:-
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:- Face lathered
Brush:
Omega Super Badger 632
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) N-S
XTG (Gillette Slide) NW-SE
ATG (Diagonal) SW-NE
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Open Comb
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Rating:7/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Notes to today's shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11830411

Have a Great day everyone

Razor: GEM Clog Pruf
Blade: GEM SS PTFE (18)
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Boar: VDH Boar
AS: La Toja splash

Rating: 10/10

While I was looking for an aftershave today I found my old VDH Boar brush. It was the first brush I bought and I honestly thought I had thrown it away. I haven't used the brush in years and decided to give it a go. My recollection was it as a bad brush but it surprised me and performed well. I'm going to use it for a while and see how I like it now. Always fun to pull out an old piece of kit and find that it performs much better that you remember.

Top Bottom