What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor: John Pearce Stub Tail
Brush: Omega Jade
Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat

Old school vibes. A fine shave.
B9F06246-71F6-4CFB-A9AA-E7DD2D1C178B.jpeg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Rockwell 6S plate 5
Gillette Super Thin 1st use
TOBS Sandalwood
Zenith boar. Lots of loft, plenty of flop. With enough splay it covers most of my cheek!
Thayers witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave
Proraso red balm
I believe Super Thins are manufactured at three different locations. All three tucks have different labeling. B&B has a thread referencing the subject. To me there is a huge difference in comfort with at least two of the sources. Todays blade I believe is from Thailand. The terrible (to me) blades are from Vietnam.

5613FFF0-A417-42CD-B1E0-C4320C35A327.jpeg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Rockwell 6S plate 5
Gillette Super Thin 1st use
TOBS Sandalwood
Zenith boar. Lots of loft, plenty of flop. With enough splay it covers most of my cheek!
Thayers witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave
Proraso red balm
I believe Super Thins are manufactured at three different locations. All three tucks have different labeling. B&B has a thread referencing the subject. To me there is a huge difference in comfort with at least two of the sources. Todays blade I believe is from Thailand. The terrible (to me) blades are from Vietnam.

View attachment 1394243

Oops. 9/10

'Twas time for Slant Saturday again, on a 48-hour beard!

Fatip Open Comb Slant/ Personna Lab Blue blade (1)

Tabac in stick form

AP Shave Co. synth brush

Pre-shower, Proraso Green AS; post-shower, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

After my workout this morning, I sluiced off the dirt and grease with some Irish Spring soap. Face-lathered the Tabac (an Italian razor, thus a German soap) and wielded the razor. Pass 1, WTG; pas 2, ATG, with some skin stretching on the throat; pass 3, XTG and cleanup for a near BBS. My shower followed, then some lotion and powder, and I was ready (well, pretty ready) to face the day.

Verdict: 9.7!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220115_151223~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 1 Level 3
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Superb shave! :)

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11615126

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower, two days growth​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Ralf Aust 5/8 Full Hollow Spanish Point w/Black Acrylic Scales​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap w/ Ceramic Bowl​
Facial Thayers Original Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Astringent​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
9.5/10

- Brush: Zenith Boar
- Razor: Gillette Slim (9)
- Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless (1)
- Soap: Cella Bio
- Aftershave: Speick

First use of Cella Bio and it is excellent. Very light scent, excellent performance and very reasonably priced. The only slight negative is the small container. I prefer face lathering and prefer lathering off the puck, but whatevs. The odd bowl lather won‘t kill me.

The Zenith Boar is a beautiful (IMO) and extremely ergonomic brush. After only 2 uses, the tips are starting to split and it holds and releases lather like a champ. The only other boars that perform even nearly as well IMO are the Semogue SOCs. Yet to be able to properly compare with my very highly regarded Connaught Jade boar as it is too new.

The Gillette Slim razor is a classic. I use it on the most aggressive setting 9 and it is just aggressive enough for me. Classic and incredibly well built razor that will outlive me. Matches well with the Treet Super Stainless which I think is a VERY underrated blade and is under $10/100.

9.5/10

51199E9A-9B01-4D92-A39E-B7255C350419.jpeg

Brush: Saponificio Varesino 26mm High Mountain White Manchurian w/ Bog Oak Handle
Blade: Timor (1)
Bowl: Captain’s Large Copper Bowl
Soap: MDC Original (I think Original may be my favorite scent)
Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.25mm w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Post Shave: Ethos Unscented Skin Food

10/10

CDAB0946-B8CF-4073-A2F4-3C453088B9DD.jpeg

tempImagehVgyQV.jpg

Brush: PAA Starcraft
Lather: Stirling Deton-8 -- great to come back to Stirling after a week of samples
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley with SB-G plate -- first use

I thought my first use of the SB-G plate would be harsh and maybe bloody. It was neither. Riding the cap and avoiding all pressure, I had a really nice shave with it. No injuries, no irritation, no sensitivity post-shave. It did tug a little on the first pass WTG. Second pass XTG was very nice, as was the ATG pass and touchups. It was notably comfortable going ATG below the chin, which is usually where razors sink or swim. I had BBS- results and felt very accomplished after this shave. It's a 10/10.

Sun 16 SOTD
Soap The Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co Topanga Fougere
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
Razor Feather AC Clone
Blade Feather ProGuard 3rd use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Yaqi PinaColada Chillers Splash
Nice soap. Scent and lather qualities are just wonderful.
It was a very enjoyable shave with this razor & blade combination except for some micro red spots after. Mostly bbs finish.
Rating 9.5/10
20220116_111646.jpg

Sunday morning.

Vintage Hobson of Leamington 6/8 round point straight razor
Vie Long "Comte" 24mm white horse brush
Proraso white
Vintage (1980s) Yardley Gold "Classic" (black stopper) aftershave

Another good shave with the Hobson, and the brush does well with Proraso white. The aftershave was a good fit with the smell of the soap, and added something (though I'm not sure what) to it.

A good Sunday shave. If I'm really looking (or should I say "feeling"?) there's a bit of a sandpaper feel ATG below the chin, but it's still worth a "9".

16 January 2022
20220116_054415.jpg

Prep:
Nivea Men’s Face Wash
Razor:
King C. Gillette—China/Germany
Lathering:
Cella—Green—Italy Using very hot tap water
Blade:
Personna—Israel Shave #6
Lathering Brush:
Omega—1126--Italy
Bowl:
Homemade lathering bowl (from an old soap container)
Passes:
WTG / ATG / buffing--light
Cleanup:
Rinsed & dried face f/b Alum f/b Witch Hazel rubdown
Aftershave:
AV Musk
Rating(s):
10.0 BBS
Comments:
A near perfect shave this morning.
For Today: Virtually no stubble, with no nicks or weepers.

Today”s shave on a 2 day beard.

Gillette Fusion Skinguard razor (4th use)
Geo F Trumper Coconut shaving soap
Brut Splash On Lotion.

The soap has improved a fair bit (perhaps it needed a breaking in period?). Meaning the lather lasted longer and left a VERY slick layer.

The razor also shaved better as the lube strips finally wore off and gave a very respectable shave. Now if only Gillette made a cart razor WITHOUT lube strips! If only!

Obviously the Fusion Skinguard razor is no match for my Sledgehammer but let’s not be unfair. The Skinguard razor is very good for those who simply do not get along with safety razors.

Shave quality is almost BBS and it’s as good as it gets from a cartridge razor.

Verdict:

Blade sharpness 8/10 (Still shaves well)
Blade comfort 9/10 (Much better without the lube strips)
Soap quality 7/10 (A noticeable improvement)
Overall shave quality 7/10 (As good as it gets from a cartridge razor)

Overall score 7/10 (It would be unfair to compare it to the Sledgehammer. If I did the score would be lower)

Jason.

2D4D3C41-AD38-48CD-9B73-8258663A359B.jpeg

Soap: Scots Pine Sheep
Brush: Omega Jade
Lather: Face
Razor: Razorock Lupo .95
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)

Super comfortable shave. I didn’t know how I’d like a pine scent, but it’s exactly what I wanted. BBS

10/10

Felt nostalgic today:

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: 1948 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Soap: Sir Henry's Black & Tan
Bowl: Blue PAA Travel Scuttle
Brush: Semogue Tangerine handle SOC Two Band Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Two pass BBS shave with two touch ups. Two tiny weepers, no cuts or irritation. Very good shave. Weepers my fault and cured by quick swipe of Alum Stick. Fourth day using Sir Henry's Black and Tan and still impressed.

Top Bottom