What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

20220115_093156.jpg

Razor: Enders Speed Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Rose Petal
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.8. What a delightful razor!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (8)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Aftershave: Pre de Provence
Growth: 48 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

After returning from a business trip, decided to my face needed a rest. Using a travel kit helped remind why the home set up is so wonderful. For my ugly mug, this set-up out performs in every way the travel kit’s synthetic brush, Razorock Game Changer and GSB/Treet blades. No weepers, and a result as smooth as David Sanborn on the saxophone.

E4D458EA-CC96-44E6-9B19-2EFFCC28626A.jpeg

SUNDAY Schick shave, a fine two-pass shave, 9/10, DFS, no mishaps, close and comfy today:

Razor: SCHICK DE- haven't used this one in recent memory, such a nice, relaxed, easy shaver
Blade: KCG (1)- sharp and smooth
Soap: Musgo Real
Brush: RV 2011 B&B Team brush- another item I don't use enough; the TGN knot in this one is delightful
Post-shave: cold rinse, Floid The Genuine AS, but before the "new/old" Genuine was released, a good AS

Hope you're having a great weekend!​

PXL_20220116_173846877.jpg

Speick Men shaving cream
Simpson Trafalgar T3 synthetic brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
Super Max Blue Diamond razor blade (5)
witch hazel

Speick Men aftershave

Went for a BBS shave today. Score: 10/10.

It’s one of those shaves where you rub your hand around your face and you can’t believe how smooth it is.

Speick. The aftershave is wonderful. I love it. I will most likely buy more whenever this runs out. The cream. It’s there. It lathers well. A dime-sized dollop will give you enough cream to lather and put a hot towel on your face and then lather for three passes and BBS cleanup. But it just doesn’t wow me like the aftershave does. If you need an aftershave recommendation…Speick.

1AB1A8B9-3714-4B6D-8C48-D758390BDC74.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220116_103148~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Mixed Metal Gen 2 Level 3
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Superb shave! :)

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11616095

- Brush: Spiffo High Mountain White badger
- Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.35
- Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (1 and done)
- Soap: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
- Aftershave: Versace Eros balm
- Scent: Versace Eros EDT

Nice all around shave but the Rapira blades aren’t the greatest. they were dirt cheap ($6-7/100) but they are too mild for me. Even in an aggressive razor with 24 hours growth. Not bad, but I have too many that are better.

MWF is… shaving soap. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It has a very light inoffensive smell, lathers well and performs well. If it wasn’t for all of the fancy artisans with their fancy scents, I could be happy using this exclusively. It is a soap that is hard to dislike IMO. The Spiffo quickly lathered enough for 3 passes. I own 4 Spiffos and they are excellent. The knot is similar to Elite Brushes‘ HMW knot. Never sheds a hair, zero glue bump, soft as any badger I have tried and holds/releases lather well.

8.5/10

E7603165-9059-4473-8E73-64150C74D560.jpeg

Last edited:
This brush is becoming one of my favorites, the handle is incredible and has special meaning, also this is the absolute best synthetic I have ever used.

Brush: Graydog “Sue Benefit” w/ Muhle 26mm STF knot installed by Rudy Vey
Blade: Timor (2)
Bowl: Captain’s Large Copper Bowl
Soap: Ethos Vanilla Safi
Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.25mm w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Post Shave: Ethos Unscented Skin Food, Hyaluronic Acid
B26155E8-D3E5-40E1-8A50-89B909DB77C8.jpeg

Doug, 65 in Tucson, Arizona

Today’s shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.

Razor: Henson Al13 Medium. I usually have a razor rotation but I am really liking this Henson
Blade: Personna Lab Blue.

Soap: Uncle Jon’s Pipe Smoke

Brush: PAA Peregrino
Balm Stirling unscented balm.

Aftershave: Old Spice

Stately BBS.

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Mühle R41 (2013)
Blade: Astra SP (D2)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in BEST Badger
Soap : Cella Creama Da Barba
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Mennen Skin Bracer AS Lotion
Rating : 9.82/10 :pipe:
Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Sunday Afternoon Jan 16, 2022

Razor:
King C. Gillette - mild but efficient razor, good heft & slippery handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6) - performance trending down, replacement blades warming up in bullpen
Brush: Van Der Hagen Pure Badger Brush - soft tips, scritchy scrub, lather monster
Soap: Stubble Buster Evocative - smells good, mild scent, lathers easily, creamy lather, good cushion
Pre-Shave: Pacific Shaving Co. Natural Shaving Cream - debut as pre-shave, worth trying again
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave A/S Splash, Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated Aftershave Balm - good combo
Growth: 54 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9.5/10

Results: 2nd shave with Stubble Buster by Groomatorium. I like it. Very good performer. Excellent value. No nicks or cuts. Minor tugging on the gray stubble on my chin. The Russian blade's days are numbered. Need to take longer time for lather to soak in. The KCG razor and Nacet blade delivered a DFS result. Very good shave.

IMG_20220116_141434681.jpg

Prep : Rinsed face with cold water
Razor: Filarmonica DT13
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap : AE Cherry Pie
Aftershave: Alum + Cold Water Rinse, then AE post shave serum
Rating : 8.5

This should be my 5rd or 6th SR shave, after several years off. It's been a lot of fun getting back into it, plus the info out now on honing straight razors has gotten a lot better. I really had no idea what I was doing before. Got the razor popping whiskers like a laser today and the quality shave was quite good. Still need to work on technique though

Pre Shave: hot shower plus Sanex BioMe
Razor: Maggards Slant
Blade: Gillette Platinum (supposed to be "the Swede")
Brush: Proraso Boar
Soap: A&E Kaizen
AS: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite
Balm: Stirling Wintergreen

Rating: 9

I don't think the Gillette and this slant are not fond of each other.
Post shave let the AS bite, and I had a bleeder behind my ear.
Beard shave was mediocre, but this could have been the coating or the lather.
Nevertheless a deep BBS for the head shave. The Maggards slant made short work of the difficult jungle at the back of my neck. Very good.

This soap performs much better if loaded from te tub. I started with a bit of soap pressed into the bottom of my bowl and that lather was nowhere as reviews promised, resulting in a wettish foam and so-so beard shave. After I loaded it again from te tub, the foam was excellent. Nice, weird scent. Good skin feel during and after the shave. I need to get to know this soap better, though.

Top Bottom