What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: RazoRock OLD Type open comb with Bulldog handle
Blade: US Personna "Lab Blue" in blue wrappers from a box labeled Energizer, c.2013 (3)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: RazoRock Acqua
Rating: 9.5

This morning's shave on < 2 days of growth. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, 3 undetected nicks under the chin, and some slight burning post-shave for a minute or two.

Today was my first time using the RazoRock OLD Type, and I was initially concerned that it would be too mild because of the comments that I had read here and because of its visible similarity to the Merkur open comb head, which is useless to me. Fortunately, however, once I loaded and aligned the blade, I saw that there was positive blade exposure, and off I went. This razor seems just as efficient as my 1920s Gillette OLD Type and 1909 Gilette Single Ring, but the RazoRock feels a little bit harsher than those. In any event, I am happy with this razor and will continue to use it. It is more efficient than the RazoRock SLOC so far, but not nearly as smooth.

Also today, the Acqua lather had none of the slickness that I appreciated the last time I used it, although I used the same brush, and the lather appeared to be just the same as last time. Perhaps this contributed to the harshness that I blamed on the razor.

Happy Monday!

MdC Monday!

Razor : FOCS
Blade : Astra SS vintage (1)
Brush : DS cosmetic 26mm silvertip
Soap : MdC Original
Thayers witch Hazel Lavender
AS : PAA Lavender Planet

5 days beard easily shaved with the FOCS and the supersmooth vintage Astra.

Great shave ! 10/10
Have a nice week.
IMG_20210517_084858.jpg

Monday morning wonderful relaxed shave, both grandsons are in pre-school until lunch, three-passes plus a lot of clean up, 9+++/10, no miscues, an excellent shave with a blade past its peak; I added a third pass, was careful with the skin stretching, and did quite a bit of extra clean-up this morning, but still couldn't quite get the shave to BBS in a few spots- maybe the blade, maybe my lather, maybe my strokes?:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head, this is clearly the best level for me with this razor, no nicks, consistently no irritation, yet quite close for a safety razor
Blade: Feather AC Pro (11)- this blade will now be binned, but I did manage 11 shaves with it- far more than my usual number of uses
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- a fun, easy to like boar
Soap: Mogno bar- I've been enjoying this budget soap that @Marco touted; I keep typing Mongo when referencing this soap, LOL- I must be in a Blazing Saddles state of mind lately, or it's just the age kicking in :001_rolle .
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a very healthy splash of Proraso Green AS- felt a touch of burn and then that lovely cooling feeling all over. This was one of the first items I bought when getting back into wet shaving, and I haven't been without a bottle since.

Having just the Occam's razor, and the OREN version here in Brooklyn and only one pack of Feather Pro blades has really let me get to know these razors well. They are quite fun to use and deliver a great shave for me. Not quite as close as with Feather DX holder on the initial pass, but with some tidying up they do deliver a consistent and delightful shave.

Have a wonderful week all!

PXL_20210517_140027766.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Monday morning wonderful relaxed shave, both grandsons are in pre-school until lunch, three-passes plus a lot of clean up, 9+++/10, no miscues, an excellent shave with a blade past its peak; I added a third pass, was careful with the skin stretching, and did quite a bit of extra clean-up this morning, but still couldn't quite get the shave to BBS in a few spots- maybe the blade, maybe my lather, maybe my strokes?:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head, this is clearly the best level for me with this razor, no nicks, consistently no irritation, yet quite close for a safety razor
Blade: Feather AC Pro (11)- this blade will now be binned, but I did manage 11 shaves with it- far more than my usual number of uses
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- a fun, easy to like boar
Soap: Mogno bar- I've been enjoying this budget soap that @Marco touted; I keep typing Mongo when referencing this soap, LOL- I must be in a Blazing Saddles state of mind lately, or it's just the age kicking in :001_rolle .
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a very healthy splash of Proraso Green AS- felt a touch of burn and then that lovely cooling feeling all over. This was one of the first items I bought when getting back into wet shaving, and I haven't been without a bottle since.

Having just the Occam's razor, and the OREN version here in Brooklyn and only one pack of Feather Pro blades has really let me get to know these razors well. They are quite fun to use and deliver a great shave for me. Not quite as close as with Feather DX holder on the initial pass, but with some tidying up they do deliver a consistent and delightful shave.

Have a wonderful week all!

View attachment 1267858

Sir, when possible, put your hands on Musgo, too. It features Musgo Real's top performance and original 1936 fragrance.

You can thank me later on. :gunsmilie:

Soap: Stirling British Leather
Razor: Gillette Old Type (ball end, thick cap)
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Osage Rub

Well, chased BBS yesterday with pretty good result, and started getting a little cocky today. Rinsed my face off after the 2nd pass and felt some sting, and decided to stop. Got a few weepers on my neck and on my chin, but nothing crazy.

I find it easier to get into "super careful mode" with a straight razor, and I do feel the Old Type deserves similar respect, but it's not as blatantly obvious as having a 3 inch blade up against your face. Always a learning experience.

8/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, May17th, 2021, Daily Double! Gem Micromatic VS (New)Yaqi Excalibur shaving 1/2 face (Left side with Gem), both razors IMO are excellent daily drivers + also <midrange & give similar results. I gave the Gem Micromatic the tougher beard side because I know this razor well and just with feel testing the results were excellent with similar feels of both razors final results.
The Gem is easier to load imo and the Yaqi is doable but a little more fidgeting with the tiny thinner blade.
The Micromatic is at least 3 times the weight and built to last while the Yaqi has no brass in the head(Zamac) with a Aluminum handle with this model. Both razors are a joy to use and the Gem would be least expensive to operate over time with blade costs per 100pcs IMO. Both razors have no blade tabs exposed, another positive.
This confirms my belief that the Gem Personna blades are just as sharp as the Feather blades & has a great proven record for longevity + both blades are excellent in proven sharpness IMO. Yaqi also makes a Excalibur model with a brass handle if you like weight or just use a stainless handle like some folks have done if you like heft. I like this Yaqi handle feel so it will stay for now.

Razor: Gem MicroMatic Flying wing SE - Mfg 1947-50, excellent mid range, great daily driver, built well, easy to load blade.
Razor: Yaqi Excalibur SE- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, great daily driver, harder to load, great feel to this razor IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4), excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Blade: Feather Professional AC 50mm(3), excellent blade, very sharp, smooth& sharp, longevity?.
Soap: Razorock Blue barber, nice scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great backbone for scrubbing + excellent painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rise after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results Gem F.W: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my Micromatic Flying wing.
Results Yaqi Excalibur: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur.

MMMonday, May17th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Back in the proper lane, using three full passes rather than yesterday's two. MdC Fougere with Kent BK4, three passes with GSB (9) in ATT CM1, and 4711. BBS 10

i rotate between the BK4 and the Chubby 1 in best badger. With MdC and face lathering the Ch 1 is very good, but the BK4 is demonstrably better. Plus, a month or so in, the Ch1 usually loses a hair per shave, sometimes two.

PSX_20201011_080604.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-14B Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

My Sunday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Rockwell 6S #4​
Blade: KAI Stainless Steel (1)​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Nil Scent (Fragrance Free) Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Every Man Jack Fragrance Free Face Lotion and Post-Shave. Menthyl, Chamomile, Shea Butter, Vitamin E​
8.8/10
  • A quick one-pass shave getting ready for a day trip (thus the late report-out). No irritation and no nicks! Even though a quick shave, I was expecting a little closer shave...

My Monday Morning Shave

Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, XTG/ATG​
Razor: American Knife Co., Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut​
Pre-Shave: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Rudy Vey w/ Synbad Synthetic knot​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
8.8/10
  • No nicks and no irritation! But, just like above, the closeness did not meet my expectations....

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Bowl:
Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X3 in Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent mindless Shave. Still being cautious of my prior injury.

Top Bottom