What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

48-hour beard today:

Gillette Red Tip from '56/Personna Lab Blue blade (2)

Mix of Trumper's Almond cream/ Erasmic soap in the red tub

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Proraso Red AS, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Pre-shower again: I washed my face and throat with Dial soap, applied a little Trumper's as a pre-shave, then loaded the brush with Erasmic and face-lathered. Very slick. Pass 1, WTG; pass 2, ATG, and done. Not BBS except on the cheeks, but that's fine.

Verdict: 9.5.

Razor: Parker Variant (2.5)
Blade: Israeli Personna (3)
Brush: Vie-Long 04503 Horse, 21mm

Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep

Reef Point Soaps, Fougere Santal Aftershave Balm

A mostly BBS. Smooth and comfortable shave. No nicks or weepers or razor burn.
The Rose Petal Witch Hazel and Fougere Santal were super complimentary. I don't have a sophisticated sense of smell or the vocabulary that goes with it but I know when I like something.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN with Two Dot Plate
Blade: Feather Professional
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X3 in Best Badger
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent mindless Shave. Still being cautious of my prior injury.

Soap/Cream: Tabac (glass jar puck)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock SS (Green) (5th)
AS: cold rinse; Nivea sensitive balm.

2 passes (WTG/ATG), excellent shave, went for a CCS and almost got a DFS.

8,5/10 for me

Razor: Schick Eversharp G3 Injector
Blade: Schick Injector (3)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Purely Skinful - BAR-BEAR-IC (black bear tallow)
Aftershave: Collin’s - Jolly Tar
495DC5B0-E577-457E-AD85-F6BC8D75A37A.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
That’s a bear faced lie…shave!
The bear that made this soap must have been eating lots of berries because that’s the distinctive scent I get from this soap.
This is my first foray back to SE razors after a few weeks of reacquainting myself with my double edge razors. I must say, they were an enjoyable change up.
The first thing I noticed was although the final result of the shave was good, I did feel the blade on my skin the whole time. It wasn’t tugging or giving me razor burn or anything, it just seems that I felt a scraping sensation on my skin the whole time.
This is where my opinion gets subjective. It seems I only get that rougher feeling when I use the Schick (chick) blades. I find the Ted Pela Personna blades always give me a very smooth and closer shave. It’s not that the Schicks are bad. They feel rougher, but don’t seem to cause any harm in the form of post shave burn or irritation, but the overall shave is less enjoyable.

Last edited:
Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: 7 O'clock SS
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / Lilac Vegetal

Decent shave. It's fun going back to these old vintage open comb razors. This razor felt a lot milder than the Old Type but still had some bite to it (as in it bit me twice). I do recall this razor biting me in the past despite my best efforts, but that's okay, it's part of its charm. It's not aggressive though.

After I finish this months GRUME I will be getting a full size puck of this Coconut Lime soap. Absolutely outstanding scent to it.

8/10

Razor: Schick Eversharp G3 Injector
Blade: Schick Injector (3)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD-Fan) 24mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Purely Skinful - BAR-BEAR-IC (black bear tallow)
Aftershave: Collin’s - Jolly Tar
View attachment 1268348
Shave Rating: 9.8/10
That’s a bear faced lie…shave!
The bear that made this soap must have been eating lots of berries because that’s the distinctive scent I get from this soap.
This is my first foray back to SE razors after a few weeks of reacquainting myself with my double edge razors. I must say, they were an enjoyable change up.
The first thing I noticed was although the final result of the shave was good, I did feel the blade on my skin the whole time. It wasn’t tugging or giving me razor burn or anything, it just seems that I felt a scraping sensation on my skin the whole time.
This is where my opinion gets subjective. It seems I only get that rougher feeling when I use the Schick (chick) blades. I find the Ted Pela Personna blades always give me a very smooth and closer shave. It’s not that the Schicks are bad. They feel rougher, but don’t seem to cause any harm in the form of post shave burn or irritation, but the overall shave is less enjoyable.
Nice looking SPIFFO brush. How’s it perform/feel?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Tue, May18th 2021, I did a few maneuvers with the Excalibur over the last few days like the Excalibur side(Gillette slide), J hooking + buffing with no issues. I picked up the speed of the strokes also today and no issues with that maneuver, non threatening nice shaves with not a lot of aggression feel IMO makes a good daily driver for some folks.
Razor: Yaqi Excalibur-Mfg 2021, great mid range, easy to roam the face for a reasonable carefree shave, no Drama of a shave if a person has reasonable technique easy going IMO.
Soap: Razorock XXX, nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Red Zebra 26 mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips + gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
Blade: Feather Professional AC (4)- sharp & smooth, longevity ?.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + a blemish weeper = :a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi SE Excalibur with a Feather pro.

SE SOTD, Tue May 18th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
First use of the Henson (M). I swapped the too long for me handle for the more comfortable Lupo (?). Face shave with second use BIC felt a bit rough, switched out for a Feather head shave which was excellent, single lather ATG and pickups. I'd say keeper. Not really a fan of the handling of ultralight aluminum but quite good results. 8/10.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk[/IMG]

20210412_080546.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

So Tuesday shave... same gear as yesterday, again, great lather (I guess I am opening up the MdC potential), shave great until I started to chase BBS - some nicks at the chin and above the lip, scores 8/10.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG/XTG R4, ATG and close up R3
Blade: KAI (2)
Soap : MdC Agrumes
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic
Preshave: Balea Rasieröl
Aftershave: Osma Alum, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Balea Men Outdoor Protection

Tuesday, spent all morning at a playground and then to the Gowanus Canal superfund site where they have lots of trucks, cranes, barges and such; the little guy- three this week- loves to watch trucks at work. Mid-day shave, two and a half passes, plus clean up, 10/10, no miscues, an excellent BBS shave:

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- two-dot head, this is clearly the best level for me with this razor, no nicks, consistently no irritation, yet quite close for a safety razor
Blade: Feather AC Pro (1)- this new blade and fantastic lather did the trick
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar- I've been using this one a lot and liking it a lot.
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- wonderful again today
Post-shave: cold rinse, then a goodly splash of Old Spice AS, it's here and it is a change, but frankly, other than the nice bit of burn, I miss my Floids and other AS.

Here's today's Picture:

PXL_20210518_171106448.jpg

Yesterday I wrote: Having just the Occam's razor, and the OREN version here in Brooklyn and only one pack of Feather Pro blades has really let me get to know these razors well. They are quite fun to use and deliver a great shave for me. Not quite as close as with Feather DX holder on the initial pass, but with some tidying up they do deliver a consistent and delightful shave.

I have settled on the two dot plate. I think there are some limits to the floating blade design.

I agree with @JPO, there is indeed a limit to what a floating blade can do. I've noticed there are places on my aging, flabby mug, that I need to use different stretches and angles to reach with these razors. For me to get to BBS requires a bit more effort than using the same blade in a fixed holder, like the Feather DX. On the other side the Occam's razor's floating blade seems less prone to causing weepers from those tiny uneven bits on my skin. Using the same blade, I can get a truly easy, comfy, and close shave with the Occam's, easier than with my other holders. Not a better shave, just a different one. With little ones running about, that's a plus. This is clearly another of our hobby's YMMV distinctions.

Have some wonderful shaves!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tuesday morning shave

Razor: Gold Dollar
Brush: Boar
Soap: Williams

What a great shave! There is much I like about this value Gold Dollar, the scales however, I do not like. They are big and clumsy to offset the robust steel. A minor inconvenience when stropping and honing that requires some adjustments. The shave itself.....super close and comfortable.
Happy Tuesday folks!
82C88BD0-21F5-4746-8877-E1F9D36F0C64.jpeg

9/10

Last edited:
Top Bottom