What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Today's shave

Preshave: Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: Gillette prewar Tech.
Blade: GSB
Soap: Uncle Jon’s Cucumber Watermelon soap
Brush: Rocky Mountain Barber Company Best Badger Brush
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: SV Optunia sample. This sent is a contender.

10 bbs

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210517_141410~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2 :001_wub:
Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: La Toja Stick
Aftershave: RazoRock Unlabeled Project

Superb shave! :cool:

I've never tried a Feather Pro Super and decided it was time:

tempImagerXrkOU.jpg

I had a very good shave. Just a couple weepers (at the end, as usual) but my skin felt nice otherwise. The Pro Super added a lot more blade feel to the Vector, and I liked it. It seems that a safety razor with plenty of blade feel, blade rigidity, and used with a steep angle and minimal pressure . . . all add up to a good outcome.

I liked the Stirling Spice soap (also first use) more than expected; its scent strength is very good to my nose. I seem to like spicy and very aromatic soaps.

Results: my notes aren't in front of me, but I think after 3+ passes I had BBS on cheeks and jawline, and DFS on chin and mustache. The Pro Super was more efficient than the Schick Proline, but I was a bit careful with it today for obvious reasons. I think as the blade becomes familiar and comfortable, I might really be able to get a great result.

This also demonstrates how variable the Vector can be (and other Artist Club razors) just given the choices in AC blades. It doesn't look like a lot when you first look at the options, compared to DE blades. But between guarded, regular, and extra-exposure blades like this one, there's plenty of setups to try. Enough for it to be interesting, but not overwhelming and endless.

Rating: 9/10

- Brush: Razorock Barrel 24 Silvertip
- Razor: Razorock Hawk v3
- Blade: Feather Soft Guard (1)
- Soap: Canada Shaving Soap
- Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

Quick night shave before bed with my Hawk SE with my first SoftGuard blade. VERY smooth blade that really tames the Hawk. Good for a rushed shave as it would be difficult to cut yourself with this blade.

Canada unscented soap is incredible stuff. It lathers effortlessly and is slick as hell. If it was my only soap, I wouldn’t be upset. Ice Sport works well with it.

I haven’t used My Razorock Silvertip brush in a while and it is excellent and cheap ($30 on sale). Very dense and holds tons of lather. Pretty sure it is made by Zenith.

Almost BBS but what I would consider a close to perfect shave.

9.5/10

C528E204-67BE-4E8B-AD2E-149C81C98AE0.jpeg

My first time using my vintage Mappin & Webb (mfg. between 1870 and 1883 according to Razor Emporium) near wedge straight razor. I've always been a safety razor person. It was awesome. When I received it, it was not shave ready. I gave it a test, but it tugged too much. I finally got my strop and used chromium oxide on the linen and then stropped it on the clean linen then leather, and oh my. What a difference! I drew the razor down my cheek and stopped for a moment to laugh about how smoothly it glid across my face. No tugging at all.

With the grain went very well. I went XTG on my neck (which for me is south to north). I thought I'd get bold and try across the grain on my face. I went very gently. That didn't go as well. I didn't cut myself, but I kept lifting it to too great an angle. I will just need practice. I'm giving myself a break since it was my first try at this. I did not try against the grain.

I used Tabac soap, Gillette gel balm, and Proraso red AS.

For first time with this straight razor: 8/10

Prep : Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Merkur 37C Slant
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade (D3)
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: MdC Rose
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + BRUT AS Lotion
Rating : 9.75/10 :pipe:

Close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Tue 18 OTR SE SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Abysso
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi AC Aluminum
Blade KAI ProGuard MG 3rd
Post & Aftershaves Alum + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + TGS Abysso
Nice soap with a good scent and easy to lather qualities producing a creamy and slick layer...had a great time face lathering with the nice brush!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was very smooth, comfortable, and enjoyable 3passes without any issues resulting in a mostly bbs result. Excellent aftershaves too. Rating 10/10!
20210518_081008.jpg

Friday shave, two-pass shave with some added clean up, 9+/10, BBS-; the result was really smooth and no stubble. I switched today to the three-dot top piece for the Occam's and did get a tad closer on the passes, but in buffing I messed up one stroke. The errant stroke resulted in two adjoining weepers. I'll try the three-dot for a bit to see which suits me better. Usually, when I use a safety razor, I'm looking for a smooth, low effort, and relaxing shave, otherwise I may as well use a straight. Today I pushed the razor to test its limits and see what would happen.

Pre-shave: shower with Ivory Bar Soap
Razor: Occam's razor- three-dot head- switching the top piece was easy.
Blade: Feather AC Pro (2)- sharp and smooth.
Brush: Semogue SOC cherry boar
Soap: Canada Shave Soap- made a great lather again today.
Post-shave: cold rinse, nice splash of Pinaud Clubman AS for Friday

Have a great weekend all!

View attachment 1263222
I have settled on the two dot plate. I think there are some limits to the floating blade design.

Mostly Sunny Tuesday Shave:

Frankenrazor: Fatip v2 base + R89 cap + Super Knurl
GSB (4)
Semogue C5 Torga premium boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2 as stick
Soap cocktail: Haslinger Schafmilch + Omega Eucalyptus
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Fatip base plate with R89 cap on Super Knurl handle is a fairly gentle, slightly aggressive combo. Haslinger Schafmilch plus Omega Eucalyptus makes a great lather combination with an invigorating scent.

Last edited:
18 May 2021
20210518_062628.jpg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S
Van der Hagen √
Cream For The Day:
Razor Rock Saturnia – Italy
Old Spice Original –India
Old Spice Musk – India √ using rain water
Proraso Green –Italy
Brushes For Today:
Omega 11126 -- Today’s shave
Gray Dog -- Prep
Blade For The Shave:
Derby Premium (Azmusebat) Egypt) #2
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum rub downs.
Aftershave:
Old Spice – Canada?
Summary:
Rating: 10.0
Quality: BBS
Results: Absolutely no stubble, nicks, or weepers
Info: A nice smooth trouble-free shave. A few errands to run, and then get ready for some potential severe weather this morning and also the evening.

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: Yaqi Aqua HMW Badger
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Lather: Bowl then face
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

The Shave: Cold water W/X/A for an excellent DFS. The Yaqi brush performed great bowl lathering the Haslinger Schafmilch. Cold water felt refreshing and can’t argue with the results, nice change of pace as the weather warms up. Vector rocks as always. 9.5/10! Happy Tuesday!
E3EF2A12-7049-4E24-8515-66E644B88869.jpeg
AE31CD5E-185C-469C-B9C4-5878E16850B2.jpeg
70947B22-B401-4C09-BB00-173667A942BA.jpeg
73C81317-01BB-475F-8FCE-05EC019CC73F.jpeg
A06D0F1B-9082-48F8-9275-5398321A7A7D.jpeg

Prep:
Old Spice Bar Soap
Razor For The Shave:
WCS 84S
Van der Hagen √
Cream For The Day:
Razor Rock Saturnia – Italy
Old Spice Original –India
Old Spice Musk – India √ using rain water
Proraso Green –Italy
Brushes For Today:
Omega 11126 -- Today’s shave
Gray Dog -- Prep
Blade For The Shave:
Derby Premium (Azmusebat) Egypt) #2
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then Alum rub downs.
Aftershave:
Old Spice – Canada?
Summary:
Rating: 10.0
Quality: BBS
Results: Absolutely no stubble, nicks, or weepers
Info: A nice smooth trouble-free shave. A few errands to run, and then get ready for some potential severe weather this morning and also the evening.
Good luck with the severe WX, hopefully nothing too bad. Will be thinking of you and your community.

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Grooming Dept. Magnolia
Brush
Paladin PK 47
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Feather AS-D2
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
TOBS Sandalwood
Rating
10/10.
Comments
7th Shave with AS-D2 and Feather blade. It always amazes how many more shave I can get with a Feather blade when I use this razor. An excellent close, smooth shave.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit shave cream
Brush: Semogue Pharos synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime

Another excellent shave from this razor and blade pairing. TOBS lathers so easily and well...it's hard not to dial it in correctly. I'll go another day with the Derby and then replace it. New splash from Seaforth...Sea Spice Lime. Smells really good! A wonderful Spring/Summer version of their Spiced! product. My wife liked this one, but doesn't care for the regular version, Spiced. It was a grand shave morning. This bottle of Lucky Tiger has one or two more applications left and then it's time to grab the bottle that's in reserve.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210518.jpg

Top Bottom