What's new

What did you reload today?

Resized and trimmed 50 300BLK cases chopped down from .223 brass. The HF saw and jig don't make a super-clean cut, but good enough. I'm using the Lee trimmer after resizing which I love for the quickness, and the fact I can chamfer and deburr with the case still on the cordless drill.

Some have complained the Lee trimmer doesn't trim to the correct length. What I found is you have to set it right the first time, which the instructions never mention, and it does a good job of providing a consistent trim. If you assemble the two pieces of the cutter as far as the cutter will go in, you'll be trimming way too short, which I imagine is the source of some of the complaints I've read about it.

My L.E. Wilson trimmer is great (once I replaced the cutter), but slow.

I have 500 Starline 300BLK cases on the way, presumably in one of the years in the not too distant future.

C

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Still messing with brass... Ugh. Got everything nick sized (found another .001” of tension), trimmed, and primed. Someday I’ll get to throw powder and seat bullets! 🤣🤣🤣

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Cranked out about 50 rounds of 9mm at O'dark 30 this morning to use to sight in my new Trijicon RMR 2 on my G19. RSO match this AM, shooting revolvers, will sight in my G-lock after the match.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Found" a very good Lyman 30-caliber mold I'd snagged at some point and put away.

Lyman 311291. Round nose, gas check. 170 grain projectiles.

Also, the Lee 490 round ball six-banger should come shortly; need to shoot the 50 inline. Got tons of 209s. That thing hits metal plates like a ton of bricks.

Casting is pretty rewarding, especially these days.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And if you're a caster, here's an inspiring story:

"Simply tearing down the statue and defacing it in various ways didn't quite satisfy the colonists. They didn't want to waste all that lead—two tons of it—but whatever practical use they made from it, it needed to have a certain flair, too. They landed on melting down the lead to make musket balls for upcoming battles with the British. They would literally use the enemy's leader against them."

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That six-ball Lee 😯 mold came, and it has quite the sprue-cutter... Never used one of these. A full integrated wooden handle. Imagine that it does take some leverage to cut six sprues... Better watch a YouTube.

Molds are hard to come by, and pricy when you do. This was last in stock at "Track." 🐺

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Loaded up the last of my 9mm plated bullets, a mixture of RN and TCs in anticipation of my new order arriving later this week. I've just about exhausted my supply of Blue Dot powder, maybe a 100 rounds worth left? When it's gone, it will probably be a long while till more is available. I have other powders that I can use in the meantime, just hate to change things up.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Loaded up the last of my 9mm plated bullets, a mixture of RN and TCs in anticipation of my new order arriving later this week. I've just about exhausted my supply of Blue Dot powder, maybe a 100 rounds worth left? When it's gone, it will probably be a long while till more is available. I have other powders that I can use in the meantime, just hate to change things up.

Understood. Wish I had more Unique... Red Dot wasn't my first choice, but really liking it now.

AA

Tumbled some 223 brass to chop down for 300BLK. And, had to manually scrape the walnut out of each and every one of the primer pockets. WTH? I guess lesson learned; next time don't deprime first, though I've heard many recommend that to clean the primer pocket as well. My mileage is certainly varying here.

MG

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Tumbled some 223 brass to chop down for 300BLK. And, had to manually scrape the walnut out of each and every one of the primer pockets. WTH? I guess lesson learned; next time don't deprime first, though I've heard many recommend that to clean the primer pocket as well. My mileage is certainly varying here.

MG
Was the offending walnut clumped up because of added polishing compound? I find that happens sometimes when I add too much polish. Dry walnut media that hasn't recently had liquid polish added to it rarely does that in my experience.

Was the offending walnut clumped up because of added polishing compound? I find that happens sometimes when I add too much polish. Dry walnut media that hasn't recently had liquid polish added to it rarely does that in my experience.

Good question and the answer may be "yes." I didn't -think- I added too much compound, but that begs the question how much is too much? And I guess I don't know the answer.

I did run the tumbler a while without brass after I put the compound (Nu Finish car polish) in, to try to get it distributed.

The first time I used that stuff, it worked great. The 2-3 times I've done it since, something has gone wrong which either was or could have been associated with using it. I need to go back to my original philosophy of "I don't care if my brass is pretty or not, as long as it's clean enough to work."

MG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There’s an 8lb jug going for just over $700 on the big gun auction site. Less that 15min left. Better hurry.

Yeah; no. :bored: I'll grind up fireworks or match heads or something before I do that.

Actually, I have a bow ... :red_indian:

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah; no. :bored: I'll grind up fireworks or match heads or something before I do that.

Actually, I have a bow ... :red_indian:

AA

My wife actually cried when she saw how empty Academy was. First thing she said to me was, “we need to get some bows.”

I was like, “well honey, we are part Indian and do live in Oklahoma.” :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My wife actually cried when she saw how empty Academy was. First thing she said to me was, “we need to get some bows.”

I was like, “well honey, we are part Indian and do live in Oklahoma.” :)

Exactly! It's on your license plate, I think.

It's fun to make arrows. I got metal-piercing arrows (bodkin point), whistling arrows, fire arrows ... blunts ( :letterk1: blunt arrows) with 38 Special cases on the end ... or bolts ... there's all kinds of neat projos.

Do not have the skill to make a bow, though.

AA

Top Bottom