What's new

What did you reload today?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Nothing today but I had a bit of an epiphany last Friday reloading. I've noticed a bit of inconsistency with my primers as of late so I set out to see what was going on. Seated 30 with the Forster and started measuring. Lo and behold I found that my depth from the case face to the cup was running about .005" (.004" to .0085") variance. Snugged a few things up, and flipped the jaws to the shorter side (I think the ADG brass runs a slightly thinner case rim) and reseated. Much harder cam over and everyone measured .010 deep. I believe I am now getting proper cup crush and per my "day at the range" post ES and SD seems to have settled down a bit! The stuff I don't know about reloading would fill the Titanic! :lol:

A buddy of mine owns a range up in Michigan and he sent me a whole bunch of brass, mainly 9mm, .45 and .223/5.56. Over the weekend I reloaded 500 rounds of .45 on my trusty single stage. Tonight I'm doing 6.5 creedmoor and tomorrow I'm going to finally get a start on the 5 gallon bucket full of brass that needs deprimed.

Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday prepping and priming cases. Want to reload some 9mm, but don't have primers. Had a dealer tell me to use magnum primers in place of the standard primers. I thought that this was questionable, at best. Any thoughts?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday prepping and priming cases. Want to reload some 9mm, but don't have primers. Had a dealer tell me to use magnum primers in place of the standard primers. I thought that this was questionable, at best. Any thoughts?

I've not done it myself, but I've heard of it being done, you just have to decrease your powder charge by about a half grain or more. Kinda trial and error. If you decide to do it, depending on your current load, I'd load up a few test rounds with maybe a grain less than your usual load and shoot those and see how your gun functions. Then adjust up or down based on those results. JMHO, YMMV, it's on you, etc. Let us know how it turns out!

Finished up another 100 300BLK last night after work.

168gr BTHP .308 bullets
mixed brass
15.0 gr Lil Gun
2.23" COL
CCI SR primers

Hundreds more to go, and 400 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips after that. Then, on (back) to replenishing my 45ACP stock.

C

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finished up another 100 300BLK last night after work.

168gr BTHP .308 bullets
mixed brass
15.0 gr Lil Gun
2.23" COL
CCI SR primers

Hundreds more to go, and 400 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips after that. Then, on (back) to replenishing my 45ACP stock.

C

Good idea. I should make up some .300 BO ... got to think if one of my .308 molds is appropriate ... got gaschecks.

AA

nikonNUT

For testing this weekend :)
.338LMfortheweekend.jpg

nikonNUT

Have you had a chance to try the Hornady A Tip bullets?
I wish! I can't find the 300gr A-TIPs to save my life! I just need one to start so Glen Widden can make me a custom seating stem :lol:

Side note: Have up noticed they have the same BC as the 285gr ELD-Ms?

nikonNUT

I had not noticed that, interesting.
If you hurry, looks like Midway has the 300's available.
Scratch that... Hornady clumps all their BCs together.
ELD-M .829 .814 .796
A-Tps .863 .860 .850

These are at the various mach numbers of course. I'll have to check my honey holes and see if there are deals to be found!
Looks like Powder Valley is the place! $86.00/100

These look good too!!! 1.010 G1? WOW!!!!! Of course they are some long suckers at 2.105"

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"What did you cast today?"

Lyman 358477, Keith-style SWCs. 38-357.

Lyman, hm, forgot the number. 150 grain flat tips, ideal for 30-30.

full

Some uglies/typical shooters. I'm not ringing gongs at a thousand yards.

full

Sprues and all cast mess.

full

Jars of boolits. Goya, of course. 😕 Que te pica?

full

Taking out the trash. More casting tomorrow.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sorry, that 30 cal mold is actually RCBS 30-150-FN.

I'd forgotten, got it at the flea market for like $20 - including handles. 🤔 At first use, she was throwing pretty good projos. Loose sprue plate, fixed.

Wonder how that'd work in 300 BO? Hmmm

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Since this is the current situation with my reloading equipment, nothing. Finally, after 5 years, I have a room I can dedicate to my reloading equipment so hopefully I’ll be posting a lot more here in the coming months. Gotta get the remodel finished first, but I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.
169E9D8D-32F0-4A44-BFD7-7279E2BEB4CD.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Loading up the last of my 55 gr. .223 FMJBTs today. Trimming some .223 brass. I should receive 1K 62 gr. FMJs in the next day or so, wanting to use up the 55s so I can adjust the powder measure on the Dillon for the 62s.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
On closer look at the casting efforts this weekend, the new double mold was running too cool... Too many wrinkled boolits. So the lead pot needs to run slightly hotter with larger molds.

Wrinkled boolits are generally OK, especially for plinking. Might remelt some.

AA

Top Bottom