What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

What I meant before was short X strokes. I forgot to type down the key word "short" as well. :laugh:

I do understand the paste will give different results on leather comparing to balsa, I thought I was clear in my previous message. I am also aware that if I deviate from the "Pasted balsa method" I will get different results. Again, I just reported the results I got with the methods I tried on the skin I have. And again, the steel played a huge role in my experience, so soft steel felt okay-ish on the face but with hard steels it was not comfortable at all.

As for why I skipped 0.25u, the only reason is price. I ended up importing the diamond pastes from USA and I paid 70 EUR for a few ml of one grit diamond suspension. Multiplied by 3, then adding shipping and VAT, that was already the price of a nice Jnat. Although last year I managed to buy big quantities from China for a lot less, but the quality was also much lower. In the end, for that price, I couldn’t expect too much.
Off topic: am I asking too much if I would like a trouble free trade between countries? Maybe my dream will come true one day... :biggrin1:
Abrasive stropping rapidly micro-convexes the apex. Additional stropping, up to many hundreds of strokes does not substantially increase the micro-convexity.

Bevel convexity, as distinct from micro-convexity, is not apparent in sub-micron abrasive stropping, but does occur with larger abrasive particles. The quantity of metal that must be removed to convex the entire bevel will result in blackening of the strop, something generally not observed with sub-micron abrasive strops.

The apex geometry is determined primarily by the strop material rather than the abrasive size.

The transition from triangular to micro-convex bevel geometry can result in the formation of a foil edge burr for resilient (springy) strop materials. This is almost certainly the reason some people are unsuccessful with 0.25 micron diamond spray. If the apex is convexed on a more aggressive strop first, the edge can be finished on that resilient strop without foil edge burr formation.

These observations suggest that a successfully designed stropping progression should involve different strop materials rather than different sized abrasives on the same substrate. This is partly why the traditional combination of linen and leather are so effective at maintaining a straight razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I learnt why this is called a spike point.

IMG_20230714_081554.jpg

First pass WTG on my right cheek, I was thinking of other things. The toe on this SR reminded me to concentrate on the job at hand.

The result was a 6mm vertical cut. I immediately rinsed the cut and applied some alum.

IMG_20230526_112148.jpg

Alum stick available on AliExpress for about US$2 including shipping
With my final face rinse, all was well and lesson learnt.

No, I will not mute this toe to cover for my poor shaving technique!

I learned that the Shapton Glass 30k HR is a very capable finisher. That said it is not a stone for someone that enjoys honing. After a couple of laps it's all over. It's fast.
Agree. When I want a nice leisurely honing process, experimenting with different stones, letting whatever happens, happen, I stay well away from my usual Shapton Glass progression. Those stones are all business.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learned that the Shapton Glass 30k HR is a very capable finisher. That said it is not a stone for someone that enjoys honing. After a couple of laps it's all over. It's fast.
Looks like I'll stick with my slab of plate glass under running water to set me bevels 😁.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I reset them bevel on a Wostenholm wedge and worked my way up to 12k. It’s better, but not great. I thought I worked through some of the issues with multiple bevels and strange wear patterns. Despite my mediocre honing skills, it still gave a very satisfying and comfortable shave.

Shaving with your first SR is like getting reacquainted with your first girlfriend to find that she has only improved with age and maturity.

A lovely shave this morning with my first.

My first SR was a seriously warped Thiers-Issard in stainless steel. I destroyed it in a doomed attempt to hone the warp away, only realizing I had failed when I was halfway through the logo on the blade.

I don't what the analog would be in girlfriends, and I'm not sure I want to know.

There are lots of different skills to learn, but one of the least talked about is the ability to shave by blade feel alone. My best shaves are those where I'm not thinking about angle, pressure, grip, anything like that; I'm just focussed on the feel of the edge against my skin, which is both very intense and relaxing. The tactile experience is also weirdly pleasurable, as that intersection of bevel and edge glides across your face, with a sort of mild electric charge.

Im sure it exists. I just haven’t been there yet. Very short chin hair seems to be impossible no mater how taught the skin, no matter how light the touch, no matter the angle. Yet, a DE levels it effortlessly.

I’m starting to do 100-200 finishing laps each week to see whether it’s a sharpness issue or me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you think there is a level of sharpness that is way too sharp for comfort? Or is being sharper than last time the goal?

Work on your technique, not the razor 😄.

My spike point for this morning's shave.

It’s hard to see from the photo how pointy that one is. A couple of passes on a Coticule slurry stone was enough to mute my round point. The radius is about 0.2x the bevel width. Not much. It’s hard to see with the naked eye but it makes a world of difference in the ease of the shave.

Top Bottom