What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

No more motorcycles for me. I've ridden all of my life, but I come over to this side of the world where people drive like they walk, all over the place, and have had three accidents and never had one before. All were the other person's fault and each was worse than the one before it.

Once, I was sitting at a traffic light and a guy, who was so drunk his head was bobbling up, down, sideways, was riding his motorcycle down the sidewalk, people trying to get out of his way. He came off of it and T boned me on my bike, then, got up and drove across the six lanes of rushing traffic and was never touched. I ended up on crutches. The last time, I was merging onto another highway. A guy was in the far lane, three lanes over, and decided he needed to turn at the last minute. That I was there didn't matter. He whacked me off of the road and never looked back. I ended up in the hospital and then bedridden mostly for weeks and two years of rehab. No motorcycles in this crazy place.

My straight razors are breeding. I thought that I only had about 30. I just countered them and there are now 41. I also have some more on their way to me.

I must stop think about reducing this obsession.
Not even ready to count mine...but I've got to be up to 7 or 8 Bengalls, 2 Pumas, 2 Swedish, 1 French, at least 8 assorted Solingen, couple of Gold Dollars and a few other random Sheffields...

I learned that larger blades have more momentum, and that my nose bleeds for a long time when it gets in the way.
I also helps to see the tip while working around delicate areas.
I got a real nose job:)

I couldn’t agree more, I’ve been comparing arko and cella for alternate shaves and for some reason arko leaves me with nicks+irritation and cella doesn’t. Maybe it’s because I make better slicker lather with the Cella rather than any intrinsic properties of the soap themselves, but it reminds me how important soap and lather is in SR shaving compared to DE.
I tried Arko 3 or 4 times, and concluded exactly this. Straight Razors require soap that holds water well. I had great shaves for years with pre de provence, and now use chiseled face (same behavior basically, only changes for the scent).

Was reticent to try cella after my Arko experience, but you may have convinced me it's worth an experiment for curiosity's sake

I tried Arko 3 or 4 times, and concluded exactly this. Straight Razors require soap that holds water well. I had great shaves for years with pre de provence, and now use chiseled face (same behavior basically, only changes for the scent).

Was reticent to try cella after my Arko experience, but you may have convinced me it's worth an experiment for curiosity's sake
It’s better than Arko but it’s no modern artisan croap. I just started using it with a straight. I love the smell.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@EclipseRedRing put me on to this. Wearing just one slipper on your foot when shaving improves my shave quality. Slipper the left foot in the northern hemisphere or the right in the southern. I tried this for the first time this morning. It works!

IMG_20230620_082210.jpg

@EclipseRedRing put me on to this. Wearing just one slipper on your foot when shaving improves my shave quality. Slipper the left foot in the northern hemisphere or the right in the southern. I tried this for the first time this morning. It works!

Do you have to wear the slipper on your other foot when honing? This could create a firestorm of controversy. The Badger and Blade forum explodes when the left foot slipper wearing honers confront the right foot slipper wearing hones armed with blazing pitchforks go head to head over which honing method is correct.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Do you have to wear the slipper on your other foot when honing? This could create a firestorm of controversy. The Badger and Blade forum explodes when the left foot slipper wearing honers confront the right foot slipper wearing hones armed with blazing pitchforks go head to head over which honing method is correct.
Unlike with shaving, my analytical brain cannot see any variation in honing results based on footwear worn.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For the past week I have been enjoying shaving with my GD66 mod competition entry. It is not a beauty queen but feels oh so good in hand and shaves perfectly for me. The only problem has been that over the past few days I have been getting the occasional weeper. Very rare for me.

I discovered what was causing my weeper problem. It was edge pressure against the skin. It has been quite a while since I had paid particularly attention to this edge pressure, having believed that correct pressure was now automatic for me during my shaves.

This morning I paid particularly attention to my blade edge pressure, you know, just enough to remove the lather. The result was a lovely smooth finish with not even a hint of a weeper.

Lesson learnt was, that with each shave, concentrate on one different aspect of your shaving technique. This could be;
pre-shave prep,​
lather,​
shave angle,​
edge pressure, or​
skin stretching.​
Now all I have to do is remember to do this. Old(er) age can play tricks with your memory.

I was in a hurry, today. So, I got out my Henson Ti22 and lathered up with some Cella red. I was reminded of how much easier and more efficient it is to shave with a DE razor. However, I was also patently aware that it was not as enjoyable or meditative. Fast, yes. Close. Yes. Fun, not as much.

Top Bottom