What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I have learned that I should start a new thread "what I didn't learn from my SR Shave today" !!

The other day I got a bad weeper just from touching the blade to my face the wrong way and it took ages to stop bleeding. Did the exact same thing today! Some people just never learn.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have learned that I should start a new thread "what I didn't learn from my SR Shave today" !!

The other day I got a bad weeper just from touching the blade to my face the wrong way and it took ages to stop bleeding. Did the exact same thing today! Some people just never learn.
I had a rule in my company.

"You can make a mistake once because you are pushing the limit. Make the same mistake again and you are stupid. We don't employ stupid engineers."

A few months back, I had a stretch when my shaves were not improving and if anything were getting worse. Before each shave, I reviewed the basics of shaving. Stupid stuff like "use light pressure". I also focused on things like trying to make slightly longer smoother strokes, skin stretching, etc. It helped. My shaves improved. Worth trying.

I’ve been using a Suehiro Gokumyo 20k and Shapton G7 0.85 micron lately and really like the edges.
Hello, I have the 12k naniwa and I'm looking for a stone that improves the edge. Maybe a SG7 0.85 or a naniwa 10kpro, a naniwa 10k ss or a suehiro 10k would be better? Thank you.

Hello, I have the 12k naniwa and I'm looking for a stone that improves the edge. Maybe a SG7 0.85 or a naniwa 10kpro, a naniwa 10k ss or a suehiro 10k would be better? Thank you.
I don’t have any experience with the 12k naniwa so I can’t really comment. From what I understand it is a capable finisher. A natural stone would be worth considering if you are looking for the best possible edge. A hard Arkansas is just about as good as it gets.

No tengo ninguna experiencia con el naniwa de 12k, así que no puedo comentar. Por lo que entiendo es un finalizador capaz. Merece la pena considere una piedra natural si está buscando el mejor borde posible. Un Arkansas duro es tan bueno como parece.
And what Arkansas to buy? There are several brands on the market, which ones work? thank you.

I'm from Spain. Thanks.
There are plenty of other natural stones that gives good results similar to Arkansas.
If Arkansas stones is what you are after, and shipping from the US is too expensive, Dictum in Germany sells good stones.
I got a Translucent Black that is good.
The Translucent is rated higher on their site, but I think that is more marketing. The Translucent Black (blue black) has a good reputation.

And what Arkansas to buy? There are several brands on the market, which ones work? thank you.
Dan’s Whetstones is a safe bet. He’s the best in the business. Surgical black or Translucent both will work great. Not cheap but you can save yourself thousands looking for a better stone. A high quality Ark is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I'm from Spain. Thanks.
Be careful with the blacks as some sellers sell other types of stones as black novaculite arkansas. Translucent are a safer bet because you can tell visually what they are more easily, even if they are more expensive these days. But whether it is a real surgical black, or a trans, they are literally a lifetime investment, and as long as you don't have an accident you will never wear one out using it as a razor finisher.

Thank you. But I was looking for a synthetic stone, because the natural ones are very variable and I prefer to play it safe. I was looking for something better than the naniwa 12k. I have tried the lune but I liked naniwa more. I have tried coticules and I liked naniwa 12k better. I have tried Crome Oxide and I liked N12 better. But I'm stuck at n12.

Thank you. But I was looking for a synthetic stone, because the natural ones are very variable and I prefer to play it safe. I was looking for something better than the naniwa 12k. I have tried the lune but I liked naniwa more. I have tried coticules and I liked naniwa 12k better. I have tried Crome Oxide and I liked N12 better. But I'm stuck at n12.
The Shapton G7 0.85 micron is a solid step up from the 12k.
You also have the Shapton pro 30k (not the glass stone), which is greate. However there is a small difference in performance if you compare it to just using a balsa finish after the 12k.

The addition of a slight lateral movement or scything motion perceptibly increases shave quality for a given razor/edge with only a slight increase in concentration necessary vs a straight push cut.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Good face prep works.

This morning I forgot (old age?) to prep my face before lathering. Instead of thoroughly washing and rinsing my face, I just wet it, applied ARKO and face lathered.

It was only while face lathering that I remembered I had forgotten to prep. Thinking I probably wouldn't notice the difference, I continued to lather.

I was wrong. There was a very noticeable difference. My whiskers were much tougher than normal to cut. This was particularly noticeable in the CdM. Maybe it was edge deterioration as I am using a Titan ACRM-2 honed and maintained on a CeOx pasted denim strop while travelling. Will find out tomorrow when I properly prep my face before lathering.

Face prep is important!

Top Bottom