What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I definitely wasn’t expecting it… the scales on this razor are pretty badly warped so they landed directly on the edge.
Ouch! That hurts…

I also always have to make sure that I hold the scales on the sides so that my fingers are clear if they razor suddenly slams shut.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sometimes a great SR shave ends with a DE final pass. Used both today and ended up with an impressively fine shave. No shame in mixing things up to get a specific result…todays goal was BBS for a Daddy/Daughter ceramic painting and decorating date.
You are a gamer man than I am. I still haven't built up enough courage to try a DE razor again from about 6 months ago. Damn that Gem razor I sat on as a little boy!

You are a gamer man than I am. I still haven't built up enough courage to try a DE razor again from about 6 months ago. Damn that Gem razor I sat on as a little boy!
I love SR shaving but sometimes grabbing the DE for the finishing work just feels right. I cut myself bad as a kid on a blue Bic disposable…a lasting bad memory for sure.

A round tip can also nick you if you get to confident🤓
A one pass across the grain with a SR, followed by a single edge (oren razor) gets you out the door quick, and with good results (- one nick).
Never use a SR if you are in a hurry, and respect a round point if you cant help your self😎

Since you're not honing yourself, at the moment, I'd suggest putting it through the full progression, but double the lap count for each. And whatever number of short, alternating x-strokes you're doing at the end on the .1, probably just do half again as many, you don't need to double it. So instead of 20, do 30. This ought to overcome any difficulties with hard steel, and at the same time it may not be enough to correct inconsistencies in the bevel, but the diamond is aggressive enough that you should notice some improvement. I had a couple of Swedes that took a few rounds of balsa stropping to really get dialed in.

Thanks! That was a really helpful tip. I followed your advice and the edge is much smoother, but I have compriomised some sharpness (I think I may have screwed up the short X strokes, I found them quite difficult to manage with the shoulder). But I see where I need to improve. :)

Eben Stone

Staff member
That Captain's Choice is an absolutely fantastic cream to use for SR shaving. Since starting SR shaving, I've discovered a new requirement for soap slickness, I must be able to move the razor smoothly with the spine touching. No problems using CC. Pleasantly surprised.

My shaving soap acquisition adventures are starting to yield an ever increasing number of flops as I slowly run out of new soaps to try and stray further away from the popular choices. At this stage it’s highly likely that my perfect shaving soap is already in my den.

Last edited:
My $gear acquisition adventures are starting to yield an ever increasing number of flops as I slowly run out of new $gear to try and stray further away from the popular choices. At this stage it’s highly likely that my perfect shaving $gear is already in my den.

FTFY :)

My lesson from today was that shaving with a straight is much like @Tomo's quest above: it's not just about learning the technique of the shave, it is the (endless?) search for that edge: feel on you face combined with the efficiency. It is apparently as idiosyncratic as we all are. :p

Eben Stone

Staff member
Finally, after 43 shaves, managed to achieve a DFS. The stubble ATG is rough, but I look 12. So that happened.

I learned it's better to sell/PIF or throw away the soaps and creams that don't work well for SR shaving than waste time and effort trying to make slick lather out of something that just isn't good enough.

It’s been creeping up on me but my SR shaves have definitely been getting faster. Much faster. It seems like I only get a few swipes in these days and then I’m already touching up ATG. I’m not entirely happy about this.

Legion

Staff member
I’ve been unwell, so only shaving about once a week.

This will really be a test of a good razor and edge. Most razors can take a days growth off. If you can effortlessly wipe off a week long beard a few times in a row you are doing it right.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It’s been creeping up on me but my SR shaves have definitely been getting faster. Much faster. It seems like I only get a few swipes in these days and then I’m already touching up ATG. I’m not entirely happy about this.
I had a similar problem and @camoloc gave me a suggestion that worked well. Drink a cup of good coffee or tea while you are shaving. It really helps to increase the enjoyment time.

Top Bottom