What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I learned that I can get a full shave to better than SAS in ten minutes start to finish if I need to...not quite BBS, but quite passable.

I've also decided that I know exactly why moustaches were so popular in the days before cartridge razors... I'm tempted!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learned that I can get a full shave to better than SAS in ten minutes start to finish if I need to...not quite BBS, but quite passable.

I've also decided that I know exactly why moustaches were so popular in the days before cartridge razors... I'm tempted!
To shave it off or grow one?

Today's shave taught me that sometimes, when it feels like nothing is happening, something is actually happening.

From the feel, I believed the razor needed a touch up. I was prepared to settle for a less than stellar shave. But after three passes I was BBS with zero irritation. Go figure...

Eben Stone

Staff member
That I'm doing a lousy job of following my beard growth during my passes.

I know this because for tonight's shave I attempted to go first pass ATG. Actually I attempted 3x ATG. I survived and achieved a somewhat close shave, except for a few areas. The places that are not close are those places that I did not go exactly ATG, either because I'm just not skilled enough to go ATG in those areas, or I'm just lazy and didn't dedicate enough effort.

That my honing skills are improving...gave the razor a quick hone before shaving, and it was gliding like I've never been able to make it do before...one of the closest shaves I've had, including a fool's pass, almost no irritation at all, night and day.

More honing practice needed, but I feel like I'm actually making progress!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... The places that are not close are those places that I did not go exactly ATG, either because I'm just not skilled enough to go ATG in those areas, or I'm just lazy and didn't dedicate enough effort.
Both of the above. Keep at, you'll get there. When in doubt, decrease the shave angle and reduce the edge pressure against the skin.

I learned that patience and persistence does pay off! Finally, after 28 shaves, managed to clear the area around my chin without too much difficulty. Strokes are still quite "scrubby", but I have the angles and holds down, at least enough to finish the shave without bloodshed.

One question I have: the edge on my Heljestrand is noticeably sharper than my Bengall, and feels more toothy. Is there any way to combine the two? The edge on the Bengall just feels fantastic on my skin: smooth yet with an oddly pleasant crispness. Is this just a honing thing, or is it about the steel itself?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learned that patience and persistence does pay off! Finally, after 28 shaves, managed to clear the area around my chin without too much difficulty. Strokes are still quite "scrubby", but I have the angles and holds down, at least enough to finish the shave without bloodshed.

One question I have: the edge on my Heljestrand is noticeably sharper than my Bengall, and feels more toothy. Is there any way to combine the two? The edge on the Bengall just feels fantastic on my skin: smooth yet with an oddly pleasant crispness. Is this just a honing thing, or is it about the steel itself?
Although I don't have a Heljestrand to compare with, I think that it is the steel. My Bengalls (8 of them) all shave with that oddly pleasant crispness that I don't get out of any of my other SRs. Maybe that's why I put together a seven-day set of them.

What finisher are you using on your Heljestrand?

What finisher are you using on your Heljestrand?

I only have the 5., .025, and .01 pasted balsa strops. I'm thinking about a natural stone, but a) I don't trust my honing ability at this point, and b) I'm sort of overwhelmed between all the choices, so have just sort of avoided it to date :p

I only have the 5., .025, and .01 pasted balsa strops. I'm thinking about a natural stone, but a) I don't trust my honing ability at this point, and b) I'm sort of overwhelmed between all the choices, so have just sort of avoided it to date :p
Speaking as a guy who did the balsa thing for several months on a lot of different razors, it could be a couple things-- one, a harsh feeling blade could indicate a bevel that needs some more low-midrange work, but two, it could be harder steel that just needs more abrasion to get you where you want to be.

Since you're not honing yourself, at the moment, I'd suggest putting it through the full progression, but double the lap count for each. And whatever number of short, alternating x-strokes you're doing at the end on the .1, probably just do half again as many, you don't need to double it. So instead of 20, do 30. This ought to overcome any difficulties with hard steel, and at the same time it may not be enough to correct inconsistencies in the bevel, but the diamond is aggressive enough that you should notice some improvement. I had a couple of Swedes that took a few rounds of balsa stropping to really get dialed in.

The other thing would be to look at the edge with a loupe and see if there are any chips. If it feels bitey or toothy, that may be the culprit, and diamond pasted balsa may not be quite enough to get past it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Darth Scandalous has given good advice. For a whetstone medium, I would suggest that you put together a lapping film setup. How to do this is given in Annex III of the Traditional SR Shaving Instructions.

Your experience echoes my own with the Heljestrands. They are fantastic razors but they do not seem to be compatible with the diamond edge. They get too sharp somehow. You might try simply not refreshing for a few shaves. They hold an edge well with stropping alone. That should calm it down. Otherwise Arkansas edges work really well with these.

Top Bottom