What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Consider yourself lucky that she isn't into traditional SR shaving.
Not so sure. Is it even possible to buy shaving cream at those prices (AUD)?

It doesn’t matter anyways. I got into traditional SR shaving so that she would stop using my razor to shave her legs. The DE wasn’t much of a deterrent. She worked that out pretty quick. The SR seems to have done the trick.

Last edited:
Not so sure. Is it even possible to buy shaving cream at those prices (AUD)?

It doesn’t matter. I got into traditional SR shaving so that she would stop using my razor to do her legs. The DE wasn’t enough of a deterrent. The SR seems to have done the trick for now.
Hope you don’t have teenage daughters because it’s a “cool thing“ to SR shave and it’s eco-friendly…you‘ll end up giving up rights to your best SR and creams. You’ll also end up stropping another SR at least twice a week. Ask me how I know…she watched YouTube videos and came a calling for her own kit.

Hope you don’t have teenage daughters because it’s a “cool thing“ to SR shave and it’s eco-friendly…you‘ll end up giving up rights to your best SR and creams. You’ll also end up stropping another SR at least twice a week. Ask me how I know…she watched YouTube videos and came a calling for her own kit.
I’ve still got a few years to go for all that. Thanks for the heads up though. I’ll pick up a few more razors to get prepared!

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
A nub of a tail is no big deal. The old Greaves wedge has a broken off tail, barely there and uncomfortable if I try and use it…so I don’t. Since the razor is big and forgiving I can change up my grip a bit and avoid the nub, no problems. I’ve seen a few old SR’s made without tails, now I want one.

A nub of a tail is no big deal. The old Greaves wedge has a broken off tail, barely there and uncomfortable if I try and use it…so I don’t. Since the razor is big and forgiving I can change up my grip a bit and avoid the nub, no problems. I’ve seen a few old SR’s made without tails, now I want one.
Guessing you can call it a detectives undercover special SR. Old school detectives bobbed and shaved the hammers on their revolvers for easier concealed carry. A few also shaved off the trigger guards to fire quicker from inside a pocket…highly frowned upon.

Trying something new can reignite your SR passion and willingness to continue being curious about all things shaving. Also trying to take a photo while SR shaving is touch and go…gotta pay attention to both 🙌 hands, the blade, and your face.
4FABD269-FF56-4923-8CDC-937D83630C93.jpeg

It's the experience of the journey, not the final ending.
Also your skill must have gone up to the level that even with a piece of broken beer bottle you could get a DFS shave Tomo...
Hahaha…I concur. A Sports journalist once said Ben Crenshaw could put with a broomstick.😊👍💈🏌🏼

The choice of razor doesn’t have much effect on the shave
Hmmm ... I totally agree from the standpoint of achieving a high quality shave (BBS is my personal goal). But ... Different razors bring a different feel to the shave and provide me with varying experiences.

I could "make do" with only one or two razors, but I'm still glad I can choose from a wide variety each day. All perform very well, but the experience with each is different. Just my $0.02.

There's shaved, and there's shaving. I have varied experiences with different razors but hours later if my face is still smooth and soft it scarcely mattered which edge got me there. From a utilitarian standpoint one good razor with a great edge would indeed suffice, but from a hedonistic standpoint, bring on the carnival.

A pizza, a fluffernutter, or a curry will all get the job of filling me up done, but they are wildly different experiences getting there.

There's shaved, and there's shaving. I have varied experiences with different razors but hours later if my face is still smooth and soft it scarcely mattered which edge got me there. From a utilitarian standpoint one good razor with a great edge would indeed suffice, but from a hedonistic standpoint, bring on the carnival.

A pizza, a fluffernutter, or a curry will all get the job of filling me up done, but they are wildly different experiences getting there.
🤣

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The choice of razor doesn’t have much effect on the shave. If it’s a quality razor with a good edge the result is much the same. I bought a lot of razors to come to this conclusion. One or two would have been plenty.
But not as much fun!

Only 2 or 3 of my SR's were close to but under USD 200 new. All of the rest of the 80 or more SR's that I have bought, including vintage, were under USD 50. My more expensive SR's shave no better or worse than my cheaper SR's. Many, myself included, sometimes pay a lot more for brand name, aesthetics and finish quality, none of which contribute to a better shave.

I'm with @RumpleBearskin in that I find every SR has it's own "personality" in shaving, even those that are the same make and model.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Bevel Angle

For the last few days I have been shaving with SR's having rather acute bevel angles about 16.5°, mainly with La Toja stick soap face lathered. This morning I decided to give a SR with a more obtuse bevel angle a go to feel the difference. My choice was a Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70 with a bevel angle of 18.6°.

IMG_20220503_092208.jpg
The shave was just as close and comfortable as the shaves with the more acute bevel angles. I also didn't have to concentrate as much on edge pressure against the skin with this SR.

What I learnt was that bevel angle (within reason) does not noticeably affect the shave quality and comfort. The more obtuse bevel angle appears to be more forgiving. I did, however, have to apply slightly more pressure tangential to the skin to slice through my silken whiskers.

Tomorrow I'll try the same but with ARKO to see if there is a difference.

I guess that I’m starting to value familiarity more as I get older. I know what I like and variety is becoming less important.

Early on, I developed a strong preference for 6/8”, hollow ground, razors. I have ten now with different scale materials, steel alloys and manufacturers stamps. All are great shavers but the shave and shaving are much the same. I like them all so there won’t be a big barn sale anytime soon. I just don’t feel the need to rotate them as much as I used to.

Same goes with brushes. I like a medium sized, soft, badger with zero scritch. I have ten brushes that fit my preferences. They all feel a little different but within a few minutes you’ve gotten used to any difference in the knot and handle and they work much the same. I wouldn’t want to use something that I like less for the shake of using something different.

I tend to value things more the more I use them. Over time I’ve bought more things but this has actually led to me valuing things less than I used to.

I recently misplaced my Lamy 2000 fountain pen that I’ve used near daily for the past 20 years. After a week I thought about buying a replacement. It’s a great pen, they are still in production and not terribly expensive. I certainly got my moneys worth out of the first one. But somehow the thought of a new pen didn’t excite me. I wanted the old pen that I’d been through the wars with. It means more to me than any of my newer and more expensive pens. I have a shared history with it. I was glad when I found it again in a jacket pocket.

I still like variety in my software and finishers so I’m not dead yet.

@Tomo I don’t know how old you are, and at the risk sounding avuncular, this change in attitude sounds like maturity.

I’m 56 and I’ve only recently been feeling what you describe.

I’m a 1911 fan. I have six, carry one and don’t rotate them. I have several hobbies where spending comes easily. I find that I’m buried in “stuff” that looks good on paper, but I get more joy from the one I like. I can say with certainty that my EDC 1911 is my last. I couldn’t say that a few years ago.

I know it sounds cliche, maybe it’s age, or experience; but I’m learning that it’s actually true that there’s more satisfaction when you can love what you have, rather than chasing the one you don’t have yet.

I’m learning there’s somehow more value in one, than there is in 12. If my dad was still around he’d be proud. He’d probably say, “I told you so.”

Anyways, your post made me think of this. Thanks for listening to my rant.

@Tomo I don’t know how old you are, and at the risk sounding avuncular, this change in attitude sounds like maturity.

I’m 56 and I’ve only recently been feeling what you describe.

I’m a 1911 fan. I have six, carry one and don’t rotate them. I have several hobbies where spending comes easily. I find that I’m buried in “stuff” that looks good on paper, but I get more joy from the one I like. I can say with certainty that my EDC 1911 is my last. I couldn’t say that a few years ago.

I know it sounds cliche, maybe it’s age, or experience; but I’m learning that it’s actually true that there’s more satisfaction when you can love what you have, rather than chasing the one you don’t have yet.

I’m learning there’s somehow more value in one, than there is in 12. If my dad was still around he’d be proud. He’d probably say, “I told you so.”

Anyways, your post made me think of this. Thanks for listening to my rant.
I’m only 40 but I feel like maturity is slowly creeping up on me. I get more joy out of maintaining the stuff I have these days rather than buying new stuff. My old EDC fountain pen is older than some of my youngest colleagues. How can that be? It seems like I only just bought it. In my mind it’s brand new.

In my younger days I was focused on making more money so that I could buy more and better stuff. I’m getting past that stage now. I have most of what I need and want already. All I want now is the time to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Whatever my advanced age, I delight like a child in my razors. Sometimes I shave with the same one for 4 days running. Sometimes it's only kamisoris for 6 weeks, and I wonder what I ever saw in those folding razors. Sometimes it's only Western razors for 6 weeks, and I wonder whether I will ever use my kamisoris again. My preferences have been sorted out, but anything that falls within the sphere is fair game to be the razor that I MUST shave with that day. It's fun, and I fell blessed to have them, and to have such a choice.

I admit I may have gone overboard on the Heljestrand MK31s, but I do not regret a single Iwasaki.

Top Bottom