What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I've learned that after 4 SR shaves, that SR shaving is difficult. And is alot more work. I am questioning what the payoff is over DE shaving. I am a long way from getting a DFS or BBS smooth shave.

The payoff is cheaper shaving, better shaving, and more manhood points.

Believe me, anyone who has mastered how to use a straight-edge razor *puts up hand* is automatically held on a higher plane than those who don't.

I speak from experience. The way people react when you tell them how you shave is something that using a DE razor will never elicit.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've learned that after 4 SR shaves, that SR shaving is difficult. And is alot more work. I am questioning what the payoff is over DE shaving. I am a long way from getting a DFS or BBS smooth shave.
SR shaving is not for everyone. Maybe the payoff from SR shaving for you is not going to be worth the extra effort in learning. Perhaps you should give up now and return to DE saving.

I look forward to seeing your SR shaving gear listed for sale in BST :biggrin1:.

Nothing worthwhile in this life is easy. If it were easy, everyone would be doing this correctly on the first try. It also should be noted that for retired Men like me, time spent and the results yielded are much different then when we/I were working full time like most of the Men here.

When I was working full time, I didn't always have the time for a nice relaxing SR shave every morning. DE's were also in play for me back then.

Take your time and be patient with yourself, you've only been trying this for a very little amount of time in comparison with the rest here. I don't always get a BBS either and I don't care. It's like my golf game, I don't always achieve Par or better on certain holes today. That's what tomorrow is for.

Many have said to stick with it and you will be rewarded. The pieces began to fall in place for me after about 3 months. I now experience the best shaves of my life using a near wedge straight. The shaves I get with a DE are very good, but there is something special about the way my face feels after using a near wedge straight - cannot really describe the difference in feel.

The way people react when you tell them how you shave is something that using a DE razor will never elicit.
It's still worth learning anyway. :)

For what it's worth, particularly at the beginning I found that I had different experiences with different razors, finding one or two easier than the one I actually used first (a near wedge). On the one hand, confounding variables is not a great way to master a process, so consistency is a virtue, but sometimes a fresh start allows for a sort of mental reset that can sometimes help get over a hump. Just tossing out an idea.

The main thing (IMO) is to take the long view, take the fact that you can and will get there as a given, and treat these early days as just the first stages of the journey.

I'm overly fond of metaphors and the like when trying to understand new things so forgive me ... the early stages of SR shaving reminded me of hikes I've taken that started out in dark parking lots before dawn: cold, mosquitos, stumbling in the dark over ruts and rocks on the lower parts of the trail. I'd often think, "I'm doing this FOR FUN?! What the heck was I thinking? This is miserable!" But gradually we climb out of the lower trail, the sun comes up, and you emerge into alpine meadows — the day warming, the mosquitos gone, the vista beautiful, a great day ahead, and the miserable start forgotten.

Happy trails :p

"Manhood points" - ie - learning, or doing, things that people think most men should learn or know how to do.

Like doing their own repairs, knowing how to sharpen their own knives, how to properly polish shoes, etc. That's what I mean.

This is probably a Captain Obvious statement but sometimes I’m a bit slow on the uptake. Here goes—don’t laugh too hard. ATG strokes are far more pleasant AFTER the WTG stroke. Sure, some might roll their eyes at the belated recognition of this absolute gem of information—but I learned this on my own, and when it’s not a hot stove we’re talking about—sometimes bought sense is better than taught sense. (Taut sense came from the advice of others). 😀

This is probably a Captain Obvious statement but sometimes I’m a bit slow on the uptake. Here goes—don’t laugh too hard. ATG strokes are far more pleasant AFTER the WTG stroke. Sure, some might roll their eyes at the belated recognition of this absolute gem of information—but I learned this on my own, and when it’s not a hot stove we’re talking about—sometimes bought sense is better than taught sense. (Taut sense came from the advice of others). 😀
They are also far more pleasant with a touch of horizontal slide to the stroke.

Today I learned that you don’t need to shave in the bathroom. We are currently staying at an Air B&B so it was a travel shave today. There is one bathroom at the property and the sink area is tiny. The hallway had a nice big mirror over a side table so I set up there instead. Equipped with my lather bowl and sponge, I didn’t need a sink at all during the shave. Wash up was in the adjacent utility room sink. Worked a treat. Quite a novel experience.

40C85A3B-16E2-4812-B6D8-FF50E3C58CE3.jpeg

"Manhood points" - ie - learning, or doing, things that people think most men should learn or know how to do.

Like doing their own repairs, knowing how to sharpen their own knives, how to properly polish shoes, etc. That's what I mean.
I collect manhood points everyday, it’s a guy thing. Breaking out the field axe for a quick shave tomorrow, she’s all prepped…just need to watch the upper lip area closely.
7A6C2110-618B-4820-A837-91B299C1FE6F.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I collect manhood points everyday, it’s a guy thing. Breaking out the field axe for a quick shave tomorrow, she’s all prepped…just need to watch the upper lip area closely. View attachment 1447827
Kamisori style with western grind and very little spine wear. Not often you see a razor with an American point and Spanish heel. Should be fun. Have you measured the bevel angle?

Very little spine wear. Not often you see a razor with an American point and Spanish heel. Should be fun. Have you measured the bevel angle?
I haven’t taken any angle readings, but it’s a fast taper to the final edge. I am not sure what carbon steel they use, but it leaves a dark gray scarfing on the stones more so than my SRs. Guessing the heat treat carbon content is higher along the edge.

Top Bottom