What's new

What did you hone today?

Just messing around tonight but the resulting edge off the bout on the left seems pretty good. It'll get a shave test tomorrow.
20240522_160707.jpg

First time using the Fiddish stone with slurry. The slurry was created with an Atoma 1200. The stone acted very much like a coticule. Did a series of dilutions down to water then another set with plain water. Ending on water with just a hint of soap.

HHT was good right from the stone and improved with 20 hits on linen.

Test shave next

IMG_2766.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg
IMG_2767.jpeg

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Shapton Kuromaku 12000 showed up, first stone. Gave my Master GS.2 a few heel leading laps. Checked my work with my trusty LED light + UV light loupe. Looks good and smooth. Also looked at under a very bright light to look for any edge bright spots.

Unfortunately tree topping and even hanging hair tests are never possible with my finer than baby hair :/

True test will be tomorrow's shave.

1000010754.jpg

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Shapton Kuromaku 12000 showed up, first stone. Gave my Master GS.2 a few heel leading laps. Checked my work with my trusty LED light + UV light loupe. Looks good and smooth. Also looked at under a very bright light to look for any edge bright spots.

Unfortunately tree topping and even hanging hair tests are never possible with my finer than baby hair :/

True test will be tomorrow's shave.

View attachment 1851744
I gave my Kama a touch up on the same stone today.

In the absence of any arm hair of note, I've found my chest is a great tree topping zone. All my body hair ended up on face and chest...

Loupe was a freebie from a mining/exploration SW provider. Hadn't used one much since second year mineralogy.

1000010765.jpg

Set the bevel on synthetics then did a natural stone progression on this Ebay find. I didn't do much to it other than some clean up. Previously someone was a little enthusiastic with sandpaper or something and left a scratched blade with most of the etching gone. I don't much about the Puma 222 Special, but I believe it's from the 1930s.
20240525Pumashrp.jpg

New stone arrived, so I had to experiment.

First time using a Charnley Forest, so I took my Blue Ribbon which has a nice & new Coticule edge on it and finished on the CF.

I have no idea what to expect but, my shave was as comfy as the Coticule but definitely sharper. This was most noticeable on my chin whiskers.

Still need much more exploration on the new Charnley Forest, first try was pretty darn good though.

It’s a cool looking rock.
IMG_3048.jpeg
IMG_3042.jpeg

Filarmonica Doble 13

Started with the Chosera 1K, the bevel was in pretty rough shape. From there it was a Chosera 3K and 5K. Went to the Surhiro 10K with slurry till it was shave ready. From there it was finished on an Escher.

A promising edge. Shave test in a bit

IMG_2807.jpeg
IMG_2808.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
New stone arrived, so I had to experiment.

First time using a Charnley Forest, so I took my Blue Ribbon which has a nice & new Coticule edge on it and finished on the CF.

I have no idea what to expect but, my shave was as comfy as the Coticule but definitely sharper. This was most noticeable on my chin whiskers.

Still need much more exploration on the new Charnley Forest, first try was pretty darn good though.

It’s a cool looking rock.
View attachment 1852438View attachment 1852439
That's an unusual looking CF. It does look cool, though.

Eben Stone

Staff member
20240615_113354.jpg

Today I honed my Wade and Butcher I got from Ebay.

This story starts about a month ago. At first, I thought I got a very good deal, considering it appeared to have never been used. I tried shaving with it as-is and it wasn't very pleasant, so I honed it. That's when I realized my deal wasn't go great after all. Initially, I started with tape, because I wanted to keep that spine with zero visible wear, but I quickly noticed that the bevel wasn't forming as usual. I'm no expert, but it seems to me the spine is flat, and the blade is flat, but the spine and blade do not seem to align perfectly. I'm not sure how else to describe it. After a few hours I gave up.

I read in another thread if the razor has bad geometry cross your fingers and keep honing. So a few days later I tried again without the tape and put some noticeable wear on the spine. The bevel still wasn't forming properly.

Today's story begins with me making my 3rd attempt at honing this beast. No tape. I used my typical progression: Shapton 1k, 3k, then films up to 60k, finishing with 60k with paper. I inflicted a lot of weird looking uneven spine wear. Oh well. Seems like it had to be done.

I didn't have much confidence in it's shaving ability because it was barely cutting my arm hair.

Got a surprisingly good shave vs 48 hour whiskers. I'm amazed considering it barely cut my arm hair.

Top Bottom