What's new

What did you hone today?

Henckels 81 on a new to me coticule. This is a top flight stone. Jointed the edge and did a full diluticot. Pretty fast with slurry and felt fine on water. Great HHT right from the stone

IMG_2655.jpeg
IMG_2656.jpeg

GENCO Army & Navy that I picked up for next to nothing. Based on my Military career, I had to have it.

Full progression: King 1K/3K, King 8K, Coticle, and finished on a Black Shadow.

She’s had a tough life but with just one honing she’s back in the fight.

Nice test shave this morning.
IMG_2848.jpeg

My newest razor, a Claus, Fremont, OH taken from bevel set to finish.

Bevel set on King 1K deluxe. Middle work on BBW side of my smaller Coticule, and then polishing & finish work on my larger Coticule.

I can’t express how happy I am. This is my best Coticule edge…ever. I read most of your posts on Coticules and it paid off.

I’m getting better at bevel setting, which is obviously the critical step.

I used a heavy slurry diluted to clean water on the BBW. Then I used a light slurry diluted to clean water and finished under running water with my bigger Coticule.

I don’t count strokes or the amount of water added during dilutions. I just went by the way the slurry looks and feels. Under running water I went by feel.

I’m excited, proud, and hope I can duplicate my results because that edge was both keen and buttery smooth. Beyond happy 😃.
IMG_2876.jpeg

View attachment 1846654
View attachment 1846673
Roughest razor on the site?

(It was already quite worn when it came to me, fwiw.)

Shaved (successfully) with it, pausing wet-faced after three passes to run the razor through a synthetic progression, then shaving some more. Still the least keen of the few shave-ready razors . . .

proxy.php

Cadman — Bengall 5/8
Oz Shaving — Foxville
RazoRock — Puros
Semogue — 19mm Boar
WestMan — Utopia

Took intense honing on some very coarse (down to 400-grit) stones, but this already-worn Sheffield razor is finally shaving respectably . . . and shaving well, remarkably. It required becoming willing to grind the thing into shards or swarf and test-shaving my left arm to alopecia levels to achieve success. The breakthrough was kind of a long time coming.

Instead of yielding to, "Well, many strokes have been made on the Cerax 1010; I don't want to overhone," I dropped to the 400 until the razor bit into my thumbnail.

Maybe this another edition of "The bevel ain't set 'til it's set."

Thiers issard razor was starting to leave the crisp edge zone for me. Decided to try the diamond plate nagura to tomo nagura method. HHT could be better but I will give it a try anyway. Like the idea of the progression as it helps keep the stone flat but not loving how the slurry feels. Lapping plate is a worn atoma 400 as well, might revisit this with a 1200 atoma instead. Moving in the next 6 months though so will have to wait.
Cheers

Thiers issard razor was starting to leave the crisp edge zone for me. Decided to try the diamond plate nagura to tomo nagura method. HHT could be better but I will give it a try anyway. Like the idea of the progression as it helps keep the stone flat but not loving how the slurry feels. Lapping plate is a worn atoma 400 as well, might revisit this with a 1200 atoma instead. Moving in the next 6 months though so will have to wait.
Cheers
The 1200 Atoma is one of my best friends in honing!

Smart!

German essex again. Something strange about this razor. Sometimes it hones great, other times not so much. Last time i did 2k, coticule, trans ark. Did not shave well. Touched it up today on a stone i made. Shaved much better. A step above mediocre.

Attachments

• 20240522_165717.jpg
    20240522_165717.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom