What's new

What did you hone today?

French new production razor was given a concave bevel in 5 steps, starting with a mini 3k Naniwa pro.
The radius of the first stone was 2 m. Stepping it gradually down to a flat Nakayama.
I think I have found my perfect steel. There is just something about the face feel of this C135 steel.

20220717_113649.jpg

Last edited:
“Those razors with the ‘portraits’ in the little window were probably German made for different markets depending on whose image was in the window. Pretty clever. I have an Anton Wingen ‘Othello’ with the same window and guess what, a depiction of Othello.

I’ll try to hunt it down and post an image tomorrow. It’s an excellent razor, as most Anton Wingen were.”

Yes, he did.

Wingen was a prolific razor maker, who made and designed razors and knives for many folks. Some say he designed and made the Duck line. Ducks are very similar to razors he made with his own mark, which are few.

Wingen’s stamped on the face side were for the European market, Export razors were often stamped on the face with importer’s stamps and Wingen on the back.

Wingen also pioneered the fancy cut bolsters, another reason the Duck line is attributed to him. He also made jewelry findings, statues and medals. The company name was changed to Othello and Othello’s portrait the company logo. Today Othello makes high end kitchens and were responsible for the Kitchen triangle or Frankfurt Kitchen.

Wingen knives and razors are excellent and difficult to find.

My phone doesn't pick up the cladding well but it's visible. The soft steel is only on the top side. If like to find something that brings it out better. The bbw I tried put a bunch of scratches in the mirror finish from the jnat so I repolished it on the kiita.

Shumate 0155 St Louis

Shapton 500
Chosera 1K
Coe Bethesda Black
Coe Dota Creek
Norton HM8

The Shapton made quick work of the bevel. Didn’t really need to go that low but wanted to check it out for the first time on a razor. Sure made going to the 1K real easy, had to do minimal work on the 1K. Pretty much a breeze after that.

Darn near silent HHT off the Norton, no stropping.
23CD3B9D-4C75-4039-A00D-A4A9DA06ABE3.jpeg
580EDDE5-2C2E-4C72-AC87-A2F202CE1DE1.jpeg

First real jnat. Spent a couple hours going shapton 4k glass to botan slurry then back to 4k then slurry. Getting a feel for the new stone. Feedback us much different then i am used to from slate and arks. Razor has some pitting by the heel so i don't mind honing the * out of it.

Attachments

• 20220717_163649.jpg
    20220717_163649.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 6
Shumate 0155 St Louis

Shapton 500
Chosera 1K
Coe Bethesda Black
Coe Dota Creek
Norton HM8

The Shapton made quick work of the bevel. Didn’t really need to go that low but wanted to check it out for the first time on a razor. Sure made going to the 1K real easy, had to do minimal work on the 1K. Pretty much a breeze after that.

Darn near silent HHT off the Norton, no stropping. View attachment 1489583View attachment 1489581

I've never actually used the SG500 on a razor, but I imagine it'd be excellent. Though it's extremely fast, the edge finish at least on a knife is probably higher than 500. People often jump from that straight up to 2 - 4k.

Just flattened this ready for a spin later then sealing. A very beautiful pale, silvery-blue stone full of shimmery 3d surface patterns that make it look like crumpled silk.

The lines and stuff are bedding planes from initial deposits underwater, rather than inclusions. And so can't be felt at all - the material is basically all the same.

IMG-9661.jpg

IMG-9679.JPG

IMG-9678.jpg

IMG-9654.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Ah, nice. You did a good job on that, I barely recognise it.

Hopefully it does the business.

I even got some highly-coveted hand saw marks onto it, after using a nokogiri to take the ends off ;).

Gonna give a go on the razor first, and if it does the trick then I might take the width down slightly for straights and keep the other for polishing.

Do you find them harder / less friable if used with oil...?

Legion

Staff member
I even got some highly-coveted hand saw marks onto it, after using a nokogiri to take the ends off ;).

Gonna give a go on the razor first, and if it does the trick then I might take the width down slightly for straights and keep the other for polishing.

Do you find them harder / less friable if used with oil...?
Less friable, and the edge feels more comfortable on my skin. But I can say that I like the feel of most slates better with oil.

They are a bit absorbent, so it might need a simple green bath if you want to go back to water.

Less friable, and the edge feels more comfortable on my skin. But I can say that I like the feel of most slates better with oil.

They are a bit absorbent, so it might need a simple green bath if you want to go back to water.

Cool. I’ll try with water first, and then maybe oil next time. But yeah - I was thinking about whether one could soak a decent amount of oil or even melted wax in, to make it slurry slightly less for razor use...

Legion

Staff member
Cool. I’ll try with water first, and then maybe oil next time. But yeah - I was thinking about whether one could soak a decent amount of oil or even melted wax in, to make it slurry slightly less for razor use...
I’ve only used it with a light touch as a finisher, so yeah, a bit of oil keeps the slurry down. For knives I guess you want the mud for polishing, but I have not played with that really.

This is the first straight razor I ever bought.. Off e-bay for I think $40 US. Not cheap in those days, and not a well known brand, but it was in "as new" condition, and basically still is. More can be read in "Straight of the Day.."
Lightly touched on my Select La Veinnette coticule. The first natural stone I ever bought, from the mine at Old Preu, not longer working, and selected for my by the Proprietor of Ardennes Coticule, Maurice Celis. To be honest, all these stones later, this was the only one I ever truly needed... but, I didn't know it at the time, and really, what fun is that? BTW, it was my friend from cot.be, Tat2Ralfy, that contacted Maurice to get me this stone. Anyone from those days remember Ralfy? A good bloke!
In any case, this is an unusual coticule in that it can impart an edge the rival of any stone I've got. So much so that it can get a bit crispy on plain water only. Also a very fast stone.. on slurry and with water.. unlike my other La Veinnette. They just don't make coticules like this anymore, and I'm happy to have my two LV's from the same era at the mine.
So, here is the 5/8 Pumacker Black Diamond with the La Veinnette and matching slurry stone..

Top Bottom