What's new

What did you hone today?

Back to the shapton 4k. Shave was toothy.... gives me an excuse to hone tho

Attachments

• 20220724_184631.jpg
    20220724_184631.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 3
Prepping tomorrow's razor on my La Petit Blanche coticule with a light touch-up.
Truth be told, I guess I'm still a coticule guy at heart.. I enjoy the mellow shaves they produce.
The razor is a Geneva Curlery Co. Ontario, a nod to the Native American roots in the State of New York. This razor shows near zero hone wear.. virtually all applied by myself over many years. A nice little blade... and it even popped Mrs. Loner's hairs before the leather.

proxy.php

20220725_215622.jpg

Playing with two stones for the first time tonight. A jnat and a surprisingly hard coticules. Took way longer than I could of imagined to lap a small low spot on it. One thick slurry slowly onto just water with my tester razor, and now the stone surface is reflective in parts, really amazing how much variation in coticules there are.

This red imp razor still has not got sorted out properly, maybe 90% there. Used thick mejiro slurry to start and also just did slow dilution to water, hoping I got this razor done right now. This stone has a very nice buttery feel and might just be my prettiest jnat, sadly it was a bit smaller than I thought, but that only adds to the honing challenge/fun!

Legion

Staff member
Very nice!

What are the holes for?
Nothing. I started by removing material with a Forstner bit, and the holes are from the spikey part at the bottom.

Then you chisel around the outside, and the missed parts in the middle. You can chisel out the whole thing, but this saves some time. Or it would if I didn’t have such a wimpy drill press. You really need a big one to stop Forstner bits stalling.

4C425471-6F64-4050-881B-7D48A526551D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing. I started by removing material with a Forstner bit, and the holes are from the spikey part at the bottom.

Then you chisel around the outside, and the missed parts in the middle. You can chisel out the whole thing, but this saves some time. Or it would if I didn’t have such a wimpy drill press. You really need a big one to stop Forstner bits stalling.

View attachment 1496325

Ha... of course! You’ve just done it considerably neater than all the old ones so I didn’t recognise.

First run with the Black Shadow, after quite a lot of lapping to get it flat.

As I was honing a stainless blade, I did more laps at each stage, and finished with 10 laps of lightly lathered water. I'll see how it shaves in a couple of hours. As it is my first attempt, expectations are suitably low. :p

black_shadow.jpg

First run with the Black Shadow, after quite a lot of lapping to get it flat.

As I was honing a stainless blade, I did more laps at each stage, and finished with 10 laps of lightly lathered water. I'll see how it shaves in a couple of hours. As it is my first attempt, expectations are suitably low. :p

View attachment 1496396

I don't think 10 laps on that hard steel is going to do much. I'd start at 50 and see where it gets ya, might need more as the stone isn't a fast cutter.

Top Bottom