What's new

What did you hone today?

Finally got the honing progression right after much trial and error.

1k King, 6K King, 12k Guangxi, Hard Ark, Finished on freshly lapped Hard Black Ark.

Left to right: 1K/6K King Combo Stone, Guangxi 12K, Hard Ark, Hard Black Ark.
$20150819_133556-1.jpg

my first truly successful Shave Ready Honing, (Also my very first Straight razor):

5/8 Gebr & Krusius Gouverneur 65

View attachment 594886

View attachment 594887

Testing a new Tsushima: A little coarser than I expected based on what others said. On par with all the other stones I've tested. Traded my last coticule for this. A little over 2500g woo!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
5/8 Solingen. Bevel set on Chosera 1k. Nuba 5, Snow White and water only laps on a Coticule. The bevel looks killer. Can't wait to shave with this one
That looks like a nice and easy progression. I was previously looking at the Chosera 5k, but now you got me interested in that Nubatama 5k.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It really is Jose, and the shave was great. After I set the bevel I did 50 x strokes on the 5k, 30 ish on the 8k and then 100 ish on the coti on water.
The Chosera 5k is a hell of a stone, but the Nuba is dang good in its own right, and the price difference is a big plus. I'm very pleased with the nubatama so far.

The orange one I have is definitely not, if you splash for 20 minutes maybe which doesn't matter to me I like the stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I just watched Ken Schwarz's video where he mentions mud after around 6 minutes of use with a kitchen knife (carbon steel is introduced around 10 minutes in), so maybe that's what one is after here.

David

No I don't soak it.
When I got mine the first thing I did was pump a couple sprays of water on it and it didn't drink at all, but after a couple of good lappings it's opened up. I think in Kens video the stone is right out of the box so maybe that's why his isn't absorbing as much?

Boker on Shapton 1K, 5K, Imanishi 8K and Coticule.
$File 2015-08-22, 6 16 57 PM.jpeg

Second time for me to try to get the razor to the shaving point...

No I don't soak it.
When I got mine the first thing I did was pump a couple sprays of water on it and it didn't drink at all, but after a couple of good lappings it's opened up. I think in Kens video the stone is right out of the box so maybe that's why his isn't absorbing as much?

Maybe so. I was wondering if lapping might affect things. The thing I don't understand is why it would resist water at first and then suck it up. Some sort of coating to protect it in transport?

David

I wondered about a possible coating as well. Not sure, but the absorption isn't a problem for me and I'm well pleased with the stone.

Top Bottom